+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's not his money it's both of yours.

In the same way you give birth but they're also HIS kids it's your money too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH and I were like you, we split everything 50/50, and I was really worried that when our DS came that things would be stressful financially and that we would fight over money.
    DH also earns more than me though.

Anyway I didn't get paid maternity from my old company, but I did get the government maternity money for the 18 weeks.

To my surprise, DH has paid for everything since DS was born two years ago.

Of course I did contribute when I could, and I have a little Facebook business page which is more of a hobby right now but when I get money from sales then I also buy groceries etc.

I think if you are looking after your child you DH needs to step up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Haven't read any other replies yet.

You are having a kid together. What the heck are you both doing talking about separate finances?

List all your bills, list all your income and split any 'spare' money 50-50. This has to work both ways though: when your back earning more your husband gets a benefit.

It's about recognizing that a paycheck doesn't necessarily reflect how hard you work and if you're a family, you share...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    In house it goes like this

He works, I stay home and look after the kids.

All money goes into Joint acc. I budget every cent and I am responsible to make sure all bills get paid and everything we need is brought. If he wants to spend anything he calls me to check (because he doesn't want to know about the day to day stuff).

You really should lay out all your and dh expenses now and what they will be after the baby is born. Have it all written down so you can both see what your in for. Make a plan together.
    This is exactly what we do too. Works good for us. Great idea to have a joint account at least then you can work out finances together!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Like the other replies, we don't do separate money anymore. It's just not practical so we share finances.

But if you guys really want to keep finances separate...before we pooled our incomes we were living together and split costs 30/70 based on our incomes. So of our total income, I contributed 30%, hubby (then bf) 70%. So all bills and rent were split 30/70. I can't remember about groceries and other items but it worked well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Splitting everything 50/50 doesn't work when you don't have equal incomes. The two of you need to sit down and work out what will be coming in and going out and how much money you will each be left with, it might bring him back down to reality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you can't or dont want to combine funds for whatever reason then you should do it by percentages.

Ie: if he has twice as much money than split the bills into 3 & he pays 2/3 you pay 1/3

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't read the other replies....but my take is its time to have a joint account & share all your money!!

But if this doesn't work, I have heard of people in relationships not paying 50/50 in dollars, but contributing an equal percentage of their earnings into a joint account for joint expenses -- ie you decide what's reasonable, and both pay say 50% of your individual earnings into a joint account -- so you're contributing the "same" in relation to your earning, but whoever earns more, contributes a higher dollar figure. (Eg. 50% of $100 is $50, whereas 50% of $200 is $100, etc).

In all honesty id just go joint, but the % method may be slightly fairer on the person who earns less, if you still want to split???

Thanks
    Reviews
    DF and I have separate accounts and always have since the day we met (6 years ago, now with 2 DD's and a DS on the way). I've always had my 'own' money and he has his. Because my DF is very active in his church and gives a substantial amount of money to them every week (which is a whole other story) it was better for us not to combine our income for the sake of our relationship / beliefs. But in saying that he earns a lot more then I do and pays for all household bills, cars, groceries etc. We both work full time and our DD's go to daycare full time, my income goes to daycare (which I pay extra on as I always like to be in credit) and then whatever is left is 'my' money which is usually spent on clothes, shoes gifts etc for DD's and DF anyway. When I go on Maternity Leave DF will be covering all expenses and what ever money I receive will go towards savings for pur wedding or stuff for the kids.

Many people have their reasons why they share / don't share finances but I think in your case that it wouldn't be a bad idea to suggest having a joint bank account.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just popping in to say thanks to the OP and everyone talking about their family finances. DH and I have separate accounts, we both earn about the same and it seems to be getting more and more nonsensical because i do most of the food and bills. I decided to put $400 in his savings last week...(our house deposit acc), but then bought heaps of groceries as well. Ran out of money and DH had to give me $50 yesterday as I don't get my pay til Wednesday night. It's ridiculous! Inspired by you all and going to talk him into joint accounts using our ttc plans as the momentum.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vue For This Useful Post:

missymoo9  (15-07-2013),munchkin275  (17-07-2013)