+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Invoice him for your Childcare services.

Eta: Snap, FL.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (15-07-2013),FearlessLeader  (15-07-2013),GDYB03  (15-07-2013),HugsBunny  (15-07-2013),LaDiDah  (17-07-2013),Malon20  (15-07-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (15-07-2013),oozzle  (15-07-2013)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I can't say much about the maternity leave but DH and I still mostly have separate finances. As I earn less we split the bills roughly so that we pay in proportion to our income. This means both of us are able to save money and have personal spending money even if one person earns a lot less.

We do plan to combine our income at some point and I know my DH would be more than willing to kick in more money to pay bills if/when I'm on mat leave and similar circumstances (ie. That result in reduce income).

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Malon20  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your advice!
    I should add, we are not actually married, but have been together for 9 years, and living together for 7. Partly that's why we never even considered joining finances. Having seen my parents' relationship end due to money arguments, I feel that everything is simpler when accounts are separate, and this has worked well for us up until now - with a baby coming.

I think the general consensus from all your comments is to set up a joint account, so I'm going to suggest to him tonight that we start one up into which he will put his whole pay packet, and I will put my whole maternity leave packet. That combined amount will then be used for everything, with any remaining to be left for fun stuff. Does that sound fair to you all?

I liked the sound of this early on in our discussions about this, but now hearing that you ladies also like the idea, I will feel more confident that it's a fair option!

Thanks so much

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Malon20 For This Useful Post:

gonnabeaGR8mum  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you need to have a sit down with him and go through it in detail.

It sounds like he hasn't really thought it through - no way is that right that you should be the only one taking a hit financially.

ETA: we have a joint account and all money is considered shared so we didn't have this problem.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

Malon20  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think a joint account is the best way to go. We aren't married either but as soon as DS came along everything was combined to make it easier. Its 'our' money not his and mine.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Malon20  (15-07-2013)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, if you REALLY want to keep separate incomes, then as blotched tabby said, the most logical choice would be to compare incomes, and work out percentage of payments each based on that. eg if his income is 66% of total combined income, then he pays 66% of each bill.

And that definitely is fair, as you are sacrificing your income earning capacity by carrying both of your child.

I'm interested to hear how you end up working this out, it seems a fairly unique situation. Does he have control issues at all?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (17-07-2013),Malon20  (15-07-2013),SpecialPatrolGroup  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We more or less work out so that after all expenses we have about the same "spare" money as each other.

We also have different financial responsibilities in terms of he is responsible for paying all the bills and rent (though we sit down about once every 3 months to discuss these fixed and flexible expenses) and i budget and buy all the food, household products and kids clothes and *stuff*.

We have "our own" money but it's very fluid between us and we are always giving and taking as the budget requires . but we like having our own money, even if it's not really separate.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Malon20  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks AM, he's not a controlling person at all, but does get extremely stressed about money - for no real reason. I don't see how he could disagree with the logic of shared combined funds though, so I will see what his reaction is tonight

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Malon20 For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (15-07-2013)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Malon, it is REALLY scary after being used to having 2 incomes, and only having the 2 of you, to taking a drop in money, and adding a new person into the mix at the same time! I was VERY stressed about it all before my first was born, but the good news is you definitely do cope!

I'm sure he will see the sense of your approach.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Malon20  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    h