+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Am I insane for even considering this?

Going to Hawaii..9 hour flight...

3 months pregnant + a 22 month old + a 3.5 year old, by myself.

Once we're there we'd have a friend with us, but she's single and I wouldnt burden her much with the kids as she's there to have fun, not be a parent.

Am I being silly for thinking I could cope?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my, don't envy the flight!! I'm about to go to Bali (6hrs) with a 6mth & 2yr old on my own too. So we can be insane together

But you will cope, it's amazing what we can do when required. Your older kids will have a ball in the pool etc Once you're there. In fact your 3.5yr old should be ok with DVDs/games on the flight too?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

misho  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well ye, DS1 (3.5) has a tablet so i will load up on movies and stuff to keep them both entertained, but it's still a loooong trip.
    DS2, not so easy, he gets overtired and then wont fall asleep. And I would feel terribly guilty not to mention scared sh!.tless to knock him out with phenergen so thats out of the question.

I'm just wondering how i'll go at the beach as DS1 keeps telling me that 'we have to buy a bucket to make sandcastles'.. so my concern is how we'll cope together there. I think id be ok but just wanting opinions on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If your friend is single & wanting to have a holiday with you, then she will probably struggle. Holidays with toddlers is SO different to holidays without children isn't it? I don't find holidays with toddlers particularly relaxing at all and as you'd also be 3 months pregnant you might be struggling with M.S./exhaustion as well so it could make it extra hard for you ... what do you do if you need to throw up on the plane? Who is going to look after the 2 kiddies?

I'm not a big risk taker and the thought of me doing what you have described fills me with dread. BUT, it really depends on your personality, the behaviour of your kids, how you manage pregnancy, etc.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

misho  (15-07-2013),~BEXTER~  (15-07-2013)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm hyperventilating at just the THOUGHT of doing that, but hey, you may just manage beautifully... I take my hat off to you for even considering it!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

misho  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not something I'd do, but I hope you have a great time!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ~BEXTER~ For This Useful Post:

misho  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Think you guys have answered my question..

Thanks

I feel ok but yes 9 hours on a plane even with no morning sickness would still take it out of me.

Ok, I'll look at Port Douglas instead!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I blacked out on a plane in my first trimester. I had my 1.5year old DD in my lap asleep. I realised I was blacking out and pushed the buzzer and let the guy next to me know I was about to faint.

I came to and I was spread across the 3 seats with 4 flight attendants hovering over me. I asked about my daughter who I couldn't see or hear and they said "did you have a daughter with you??". Took a minute before one said the ladies behind have her, but it felt like forever before they answered.

It was only Sydney to Melbourne and they had a doctor on board sit with me for the rest of the flight. I was so glad my dad was meeting me at the other end!! He could take DD while the paramedics attended me.

If everything goes great I think it would be a great time. If things go wrong it would be hell (ie long flight delays etc).

Your kids only want to spend time with you, might as well do that in qld