+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Might be facing redundancy whilst on maternity leave

So nervous.
    I worked in my position as a junior lawyer for just under 11 months before going on leave to have my baby.
    I have always planned to go back to work in September, but when I met with my boss last week he said that the office is so quiet he doesn't know if he'll be able to have me back. I had hoped to return 4 days a week, but said if its quiet, I'll start at 3.
    I haven't had confirmation yet of anything, but I'm terrified of finding myself out of work, especially since finding a part time legal job will be near impossible.

Has anyone else been through this? What did u do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't been through this but just wanted to bump for you.

Do you know the legalities around this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hugs - how stressful for you. You can't of course be made redundant because you are on maternity leave, or because you want to return part-time, but if your role is genuinely redundant then your employer can make this decision.

Does your work have 15 or more employees?

If you feel the decision is unfair or illegal then of course you should contact Fair Work and take it from there.

Good luck
    Last edited by kw123; 15-07-2013 at 21:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the responses guys.
    I think we have around 20 employees, maybe more... 11 lawyers plus support staff.
    As I've worked there for under 12 months I've got no entitlement to have my job back, and this is the biggest problem. I'm told there's been no problem with billing or performance, which makes me think it's genuine that the office isn't busy.
    I guess what's really bothering me is the idea of having to find another job. My bub is 3 months old, so I'll only want 3 days a week and there's not much around. Such a kick in the confidence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Btmac - what is OH? My husband works and is quite supportive, but we rely on 2 incomes to cover expenses and get some saving behind us (we'd like to renovate soon).
    I have thought about doing a masters, I probably wouldn't be eligible for any study payment from centrelink but you're right, it could be an option... Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update.
    I've been told there isn't a position for me to return to. So I'm now looking for something new. Trying to think positive but feeling blue.
    I hate being between jobs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work for lawyers and it's particularly tough at the moment, pretty much everyone is registering for legal aid so there's no full fee paying clients. That's not really much help to you - except that you shouldn't take it personally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys, I have about 2 months before I really need to stress out, it's just a real kick in the guts. I loved that job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is horrific brinziggy- such bad timing too since you were just about to go back! :-( I was worried about the same thing happening to me (I was in a similar situation having only been with the company for 9 months when I went on maternity leave and I was convinced they were going to make me redundant). I was so sure something bad would happen I enrolled in a masters to do something productive and keep my network up. Hopefully something comes up for you- it's a horrendous situation :-(