+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My 9 month old wont sleep unless I hold him!

I think I have made the mistake of feeding and rocking my baby to sleep, now he won't sleep any other way😞, I am at my wits end what to do , I have tried controlled crying , bottle and dummies and leaving the room for my husband to put him to sleep but he just becomes hysterical any help would be greatly appreciated 😩

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you tried babywearing, using an ergo etc? It's natural for babies to want to be held, if you can use a carrier that way your arms are free to get things done and baby stays happy.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

alex82  (15-07-2013),callmedragon22  (15-07-2013),just her chameleon  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It's hard when they're like that. I second baby wearing, it can make life so much easier when you just can't get them to sleep alone. Also planning ahead, like I would when katelyn was littler make sure I had a snack, drink, phone charged, remote on hand and then I'd put her in the ergo/carrier and do a clean up because cleaning while wearing would put her to sleep and then commit to sitting down with her for her nap.

She outgrew that, now she just doesn't have a day sleep. *weak laugh - sigh*

At night she still feeds to sleep or rocks to sleep but she usually sleeps till about midnight or so in her cot before I bring her back to our bed.

Otherwise - if you can, see if your library has "Safe sleep space" book and DVD, if you still want to go the self settle /controlled crying route, I think it's a good balanced approach.

Good luck. It gets better

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

alex82  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No advice here - my 17 month old is still the same! Interested on hearing people's responses

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same here. My 18 month old needs to be patted to sleep. By 1 AM she's on our bed. I was all for trying to get her to sleep on her own etc but now I see she's growing so fast I'd like to enjoy her wanting me as long as it lasts and I know it won't last long.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rpie For This Useful Post:

alex82  (15-07-2013)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds is almost nine mths and we had similar issues

As he isn't rolling I have gone back to wrapping him. He in a wrap me up and then swaddled.

I still have to lay down next to him while he falls asleep but can leave when he almost asleep or asleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS is a tummy sleeper and loves just having his back gently rubbed in a circular motion while I recite his favourite story (the very cranky bear) in whispered voice.....

I find it calms him down and allows him to get dreamy, then I slow down the rubbing and become lighter with my touch until I can stop and leave the room. I try to leave before he's completely asleep but if he's having a rough time I wait.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

alex82  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    both my kids were the same as babies. Good news is they do outgrow it! There really isnt much you can do to avoid feeding a baby to sleep. People always used to say that to me but babies do seem to naturally fall asleep while feeding! As they get a bit older you can do things like sit with them in the bed and pat them, and when they get even older you can tell them to shut their eyes, lay still, stay in bed etc.. Amazingly one day you will look back and remember this time fondly. I know its hard right now though. One thing you could try is persisting with putting bub down and patting and shushing in the crib. I never had much luck personally until they were a bit older.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bigbum For This Useful Post:

alex82  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Being able to feed DS1 to sleep was our saviour! He was a TERRIBLE sleeper before we discovered this. We fed to sleep until he turned 2 (one bottle a day before bed). I'm not sure why people see it as such a bad thing to be honest? Whatever works I say. The only issue I see is maybe it's not so good for teeth?? But we have never had a problem. I loved the cuddles before bed too and miss it now. We had no issues stopping at 2 either, we just kind of phased it out by slowly changing the bedtime routine to cup of milk, teeth/toilet, book. Before we were able to feed DS to sleep, he needed to be rocked for ages. And because he was a very big, heavy bub it used to drive me nuts. Give me feeding to sleep over this any day!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Light For This Useful Post:

alex82  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for the advice and stories , so relieved to hear its not just us ν ½νΈ‘,looks like I will have to take a big deep breath and keep persevering