+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 27 month old bed time battles

Desperate for help with my 2yo who just won't go to sleep at night. It takes a good solid 1-2 hours to get him to go to sleep.

I've tried it all... Lying with him, staying in the room, tough love, putting him back in when he gets up... I'm totally at my wits end of what to do. He just cries and thinks up things to "do". One night he said he wanted milk, then when I gave it to him he said milk in fridge, so I took it back. This went on like 50 times.

Advice please anyone, I will try anything at this point

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    What is your toddlers day like? Is your tot still having a day nap?

Thanks
    Reviews
    His days are usually fairly active. He goes to daycare 3 days per week as I work and study. He never naps for more than 1 hour.

Addit: I've tried days with no nap, he doesn't last and will fall asleep anywhere around 4pm. He is usually up around 7am and I aim for bed at 7:30
    Last edited by mishh; 14-07-2013 at 20:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The day nap is your down fall. Around 4 when he decides to nap is you time for tough love. Go outside to play, chalk on footpath or anything then dinner at 5.30, bath at 6 and lights out at 6.30 and I bet he is down quicker than your old routine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with PP regarding the nap - don't let him sleep that late. You're better off putting him to bed earlier than having a late arvo nap usually.

Is your bedtime routine the SAME every night? If not then I recommend you implement one and stick to it, see what happens. It sounds as though he's testing you, so you need to repeat the same actions every night until he gets it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! I will try no naps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you think he still needs a nap though, just make it earlier (lunch time) so he is well and truly awake in the afternoon.

If my boy (22mths) is asleep past about 3pm now, he takes AGES to go to sleep at night!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    All those things are diversion tactics. Put to bed and that's it, no conversation. Stay with him if needed, but don't talk.
    Went through this with my son when he stopped napping at 26 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 25 month old and 38 month old sharing a room and the diversion tactics are huge (water, toilet, drink, sandwich etc etc) now I put both to bed at 7 with a water bottle each I say goodnight girls it's time for sleep and I walk out. If they call out I go back in and I say "you have your water, you've been to the toilet, it's time for sleep you are not getting up". 90% of the time I get 1 request or none at all. I figure they have water, they are both toileted and into a clean night nappy as they go to bed unless I can smell a poop there is no reason to get them up

Thanks
    Reviews
    my 2.5yr old is just about done with her day nap ive noticed on days she has that nap she is still awake at 9/9.30pm! when we put her to bed at 7pm! It's not an issue as she stays on her bed and plays there but i know she's not getting the good quality overnight sleeps that a growing active toddler needs!
    She doesnt sleep at daycare, only goes there one day a week. Is usually fine in the arvo, just wants to play with her toys and will go to bed at 6pm those days sleep solid untill 8am.

We recently started letting her nap from 2.45pm and not past 4pm and brought her bed time forward to 6/6.30. Dinner at 5 like normal. Seems to have worked so far, she wakes at 7/7.30 and is happy to play in her bed till 8am.
    Soon we will phase out that nap whe she's ready and go out somewhere for the arvo.
    I dont think id battle thru trying to keep her awake if she falls asleep, im a believer in that if she doesnt need a day nap, she will be quite capable of going without it when the time is right for her.

Maybe try a smaller nap/rest period with an earlier bedtime. Might just be the trick. Goodluck!
    Last edited by the very last country song; 15-07-2013 at 13:59.