+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 19 moth old suddenly crying at bed time

Hi everyone,

I am just wanting some advice. My 19 month old who normally goes to sleep straight away and sleeps all night...suddenly isn't

My main issue is bed time. We put him down as we always have and shut the door as usual and sometimes he goes straight off and sometimes he would chat to himself, then fall asleep.

4 out of 7 of the last nights he has started crying/screaming about 20minutes after being put down. It's this gut wrenching, throat hurting cry I have never heard him make. The first night we actually let him up (I know naughty) and let him have a bit more to eat as he hadn't had much that night. We checked his nappy and gave some Panadol as his back molars seem to be hurting.

That was the first night and now we know he is making a habit of it I need some advice. I tried waitin outside the door and going in after a few minutes to let him know I was there and re-settle him but the crying seems to escalate every time I walked back out. After 2-3 hours I could normally get him down by holding him and rocking him to sleep, but I can't do this every night.

In staring to get allot of anxiety around bed time as its just getting so hard. Plus I am 34 weeks pregnant an I am terribly afraid he is going to be doing this when the newborn arrives.

Has anyone else gone through this? Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It can be completely normal for a toddler to go through sleep regression. DD4 who's 17 months went through the exact same thing a month ago. It lasted a good few weeks but she's back to her normal happy, easy sleeping self.
    So he could be going through a sleep regression and just needs some extra comfort for the time being or it could be anything from knowing that you're pregnant, cold, ear infections.
    Hope you get your great sleeper back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DS is 29 months now, but he had two of these phases which lasted about a week (the first one was at 15 months, and the other time was about 20 months). And he's always been a terrific sleeper, so it really throws you when you have no idea why they are so upset about going to bed all of a sudden!

I'd say just continue doing what you have been doing and hopefully he'll get back into his old routine once he feels reassured that everything is okay.

I still don't know what was bothering our little lad. Kids are weird sometimes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Meld85 - I vaguely remember DS1 having sleep issues around this time. Someone suggested a night light, which we tried- and amazingly it helped immensely. Just an idea anyway, it obviously won't work for everyone.