Closed Thread
Page 85 of 95 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    All of you in the 2ww – thinking of you!
    Lots of questions out there today – I thought I’d contribute.

Angelmama – I stayed at Valley Heights not too far from the clinic. It was pretty basic but clean and not expensive. You asked about twin births. I saw an article that looked at ED pregnancies in the US in 2010. An ideal birth was considered one child born at a healthy weight. Of all ED pregnancies, ¼ achieved this result, meaning that some women didn’t get pregnant but some had multiples. Almost 56% of all ED pregnancies did result in a live birth and though most of these were healthy babies, 37% were twins and many of those were premature with low birth weights. Less than 1% were triplets.

Keep in mind that vanishing twin syndrome, in which one twin doesn’t make it very early in the process, which is what happened to me, occurs in 20-30% of twin pregnancies.

Also, if you don’t mind me saying, this process is hard enough without having people causing us to doubt the path, as well meaning as they may be. Go to the CFC site and look at the donor agencies they recommend – those that aren’t on the list are not on it for a reason. If you do go back over the three threads, only one person has complained about their treatment – she may have had other issues, though, and she felt frustrated I think because none of the rest of us could relate to her negative experience.

For those of you who are new to the site or are trying to get your head around donor eggs from SA, I know there are a lot of posts but I do recommend that you go back and read the entire thread. It’ll take a few evenings in front of the tv but it is worth it.

Also – I can’t remember the exact number but a SA donor can only donate so many times that result in a live birth, and it’s not a high number. 3 or 4 maybe? A little investigation through some of the donor agency websites might tell you. It’s legislated by SA law, anyway.

My donor had donated twice – once resulting in a live birth, the other not. I asked my dr here if I should not use her and he said it might not have anything to do with her - could have been a sperm or something else. If you’re worried about the health of the donor you can always request some additional tests done (You have to pay) such as AMH and FSH on day 3.

Blinky, welcome – I think most of us have used Cape Fertility Clinic (CFC) and it is very professional – absolutely on par with any clinic you might visit elsewhere. I’m in Canada and it wasn’t unlike what we have here. Again, I recommend that you look at what donor clinics CFC recommends. You have to choose your donor before you can agree on a time to cycle – you’ll need a couple of months, maybe three, to get all your ducks in a row. Your donor may also have time constraints so you have to check with her via your donor agency once you’ve made your decision. There are lots of great places to stay and most of the women here rolled their transfers in with a holiday – shark diving, safaris, wine tours and all.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AllieOop For This Useful Post:

angelmama74  (16-11-2013),sootymay  (16-11-2013),thembs  (16-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Thanks allie, I agree with everything you posted. I have been reading along with this thread for well over 12 months and it has given me so much hope and as we get closer to going down this path I'm wondering if it is possible to get a copy of the DE contracts from both CFC and the donor agencies to look them over? I have the initial paperwork from CFC with the processses, costs, medications etc. But how hard us it to see the actual contract as I would like some time to look things over. I remember someone saying there is a box to tick if you agree to have any eggs over a certain amount frozen and added to their egg bank, in turn you have access to the database of these eggs if your donor has a poor response etc , none of this info was on tne paperwork I received, but I would like to read and be informed of this type of info early on... so I assume its on a contract. I'm sure that the agencies, while very similar may have different caveats too,. Do they freely give this info out before you even choose a donor?
    thanks
    Emma

4. The Following User Says Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

thembs  (16-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Emski & Allieoop - totally agree with your comments, and thank you for taking time to write them for the new ED ladies considering SA.

I spent hours and hours reading back through the forum, everything is pretty much in here - I even had a note book next to me the whole time, and wrote down everything that was important to me. Agencies, Doctors, Clinics, Travelling Donors, Website links, success rates, places to stay, drivers to use, what to eat.... the works - it's my bible, I brought it over with me too - and I'm usually never that organised. Its thanks to all the ladies that contribute on here and give back to others by sharing that so many of us have made this very big step, in 1. Proceeding down the ED path, 2. Travelling over to the other side of the world and finally 3. last but not least the support of everyone on here, to feel safe and reassured and not so alone in coming here. If we didn't have everyone sharing, we wouldn't have this priceless valuable information.

It's changed my IVF life and I love you all for it. I was never a "forum" girl, but this is a very special one, along with the NK Cell if you need to look into that as well.
    AFM - Transfer is today Finally we are going in for why we are here. I am sure it's going to be a very emotional experience.

Also - quite important really in the scheme of things !!! ha ha I have been shopping up large on lots of little knick knacks, mementos of SA and I have quite a few wooden things and we all know what Australian Customs is like - very strict (I watch Boarder Control quite a lot - love it!) .

I'll be declaring it, but do you think they will take it off me, or worst case scenario, I'm picking I would have to pay to have it fumigated maybe?
    Thanks girls This is me on Dex.... 4.30am wake up's now, not as bad as before, but still wired to the hilt, cant even sit on the couch for 5 minutes.. too restless and I'm going onto 4 tomorrow - whoo hoo, hang in there embies !!
    Last edited by sootymay; 16-11-2013 at 13:38.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sootymay For This Useful Post:

thembs  (16-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Congrats Sooty! All the best for transfer
    x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Emski !!

Quote Originally Posted by emski72 View Post
    Congrats Sooty! All the best for transfer
    x

Thanks
    Reviews

Default CFC definitely legitimate!!

Angelmama, I just read your post about your friend insinuating that the clinic is a scam and not legitimate. Please do not even entertain that thought. Read back through the thread about my own experience. Our chosen donor only produced one average quality egg. Our Dr went absolutely above and beyond the call to help us. He called me immediately and we went back to the clinic that afternoon to choose a donor from the frozen egg bank... But the drama didn't end there, the first batch did not fertilise well so he called me the next day For us to come back to the clinic to fertilise a second batch of eggs from the same frozen donor. He was the kindest most genuine man. We transferred two and are now 14 weeks pregnant. The clinic is as good if not better than the IVF clinics in Australia and the staff are very caring and compassionate. Please ignore what your friend has said she is naive and has no idea what she is taking about. Look at all the women on this forum... These are REAL experiences REAL. Pregnancies.

Quote Originally Posted by angelmama74 View Post
    Feeling really anxious. I was telling a friend our plans and she me feel like I am being taken in by scam and they would take our money.

Did anyone research the clinic legitimate? I didn't feel this way until today and until her comments.

To people who have been, is it legitimate? I know people do always offer their opinion but I need a bit of reassurance right now.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainbowchaser For This Useful Post:

francesthecat  (16-11-2013),thembs  (16-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sooty - hope all goes well for your transfer. Thinking of you. Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Feeling excited, I have hit reserve on a donor from ababysa! Ball is rolling yay

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg she said yes and they are sending us the paperwork. I am so excited right now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Congrats Angelmama, a new chapter starts now xx