Closed Thread
Page 62 of 95 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Makeba am in the couch watching the living room and fondly remembering the safari we went on - seeing the elephants in the wild was definetly life changing moment and a memory that lll never forgot and always treasure, such beautiful creatures each with there own personality.

Question I have been on 20mg of prednesolone since day 2 of my cycle so over 4 weeks - how long do you stay on it when you get a BFP? Do I start cutting down and weaning off? I've had trouble getting word from my FS and just thought one of the lovely ladies might advise what they did as a guide?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there Ladies
    Well - I have just received my result and its a positive... im holding back from saying a BFP, as I have just started to bleed, so am not feeling too good about this one at the moment... I've been here many times before!

I was driving home and thought I had crampy backache (thinking AF was on her way). Got home and rushed to the loo. Not good..
    Then around half an hour later, spoke with my GP on the phone who congratulated me on the good news! My head is spinning!

Firstly I didn't think I could bleed with being on the hideous gestone needles..??? Im 9dpt today (so am thinking its way too late for implantation) - spesh as ive just had the positive result.. implantation has to have occurred for HCG to rise, right??

I have emailed Dr Le Roux, who just replied from his holidays, bless him.
    He just told me to rest for a couple of days and "the gestone should take care of any serious bleeding".. I have to be honest, nice though he is.. I don't feel reassured at this point. I just feel sick! Has anyone had this happen to them?

Any feedback/comments you have would be great!

Sootymay - I also loved Camps Bay.. By far the safest feeling place in Cape Town. nice to walk around, even into the evening hours. We went to a lovely place on the front call ZenZero. Really nice and not too pretentious. Café Caprice and Pananga are also good for a lunch looking out onto the ocean.

We stayed in Sea Point as my friend has an apartment just near to La Perla on beach road (great for sundowners), and then we moved to Bantry Bay.

If we have to go back (which looks increasingly likely).. then we too would head to Camps Bay. Its approx. ZAR200 each way in a taxi (around AUD$20) from there to the V&A (its not within walking distance, unfortunately).

We decided not to hire a car this time - we both drive so much over here we wanted to have a break and let someone else do it. We got on the red and blue citysightseeing bus routes (cheaper to book online from here, as you get a discount by booking both routes - and get a canal cruise around the V&A thrown in for free), and then get taxi's elsewhere. It was actually quite freeing!
    that said, we probably will next time..
    A Tip if you decide NOT to hire a car - don't be afraid to tell the taxi drivers that you want to go the quick way to the V&A. It took us a week to work out that they were always taking us via mouille point past the Radisson (the back way as I call it). It saved around ZAR30-50 on what we had been paying!! Not that its a lot of money.. its really quite cheap due to the exchange rate.

I would take your handbag, as I did - but I ended up just using a cross over one for convenience.
    I cannot tell you how nervous I was prior to going 3 weeks ago.. I was off the scale.. If you would have asked me which places I couldn't care less about visiting - CT would have been near the top. I was sooooooo Wrong!
    Its a great place.. Wonderful food, wonderful wines, great places to visit and see. I would go back in a heartbeat (and that's a complete 180)!

I would recommend Willem from Tsiba, Tsiba tours too. he and his wife Eileen run cape peninsula tours and also tours to the wineries. The Private tours are the best as they cater to your individual wants/ needs. They are on the web. The tours really get you out and about to see how beautiful the area is...

V&A is great for shopping and due to the good exchange rate - the designer shops are good for grabbing a real bargain.. LV, Burberr, etc. AND if you keep your receipts you can claim the VAT (GST) back at the airport when you leave.. its 14% so its very worth it..
    ALSO - keep your receipts from the clinic as you can claim the out of pocket medical expenses when you get back in your tax return here in Oz.. Accomm/flights are not claimable, but meds and procedures are!

Every little helps!
    Helen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Helen congratulations, yes I would have thought that implantation has to have happened for a positive HCG.
    l'm so sorry you have the bleed and are not able to celebrate your positive fully.

I have a friend that would always bleed for the first couple of months of her pregnancy and would pretty much stay in bed for those months and it would then be fine - l cant remember what was the cause but she has two healthy big baby boys now. So I know you can bleed and still be pregnant.
    I would say take the drs advice rest and stay there as long as you can. I know that must be hard as life involves moving but if there is anyway you can lie down, sit on the couch and be waited on hand and foot.
    Hope this helps

ps my friend didn't do IVF but was also on progesterone supplements
    Last edited by Pixel; 27-09-2013 at 21:19.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixel For This Useful Post:

Helonweels  (27-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Helonwheels & Rainbow - thank you so much for all the information and suggestions on where to go and what to eat... mmmh mmmh.... I'm just wondering if we should all move over there?! I guess we will are all going to eventually have good reasons to keep going back

Helonwheels - I've got everything crossed for you. It must be so frightening having a bleed... I've read it a lot on the NK Cell website that I've just started following (noooo I'm not really a stalker, just a little hooked at the moment) - that lots of girls have that, but still I cant say that I wouldn't feel the same as you, try and relax and rest, preferably lying down or on the couch if you can.

I appreciate the tip on taxi drivers and the private tour - I've emailed them for rates. I totally understand the break from driving. I drive 2 hours a day in heavy awful traffic into Melbourne and it drives me insane. I used to be a tolerant driver, but now...errgh... If I get BFP I'm really going to have to control my frustration levels !!!

Thanks for the tips on sales and shopping, I'm not a big clothes shopper, but now that you've dangled the carrot, I may have to go check it out! I'm glad to hear you probably experienced how I am feeling, with apprehension about safety.... I am trusting that once we get there and get our bearings as Rainbow said, we'll be able to relax and realise it's not the Bronx after all.

Oh Rainbow - now you are ensuring we go mussel hunting !!! Camp Bay sounds amazing... I am thinking maybe we stay there our last 2 nights maybe... oh so spoilt for choice... not good... bit like a kid in a candy store...

Wow you must be into your cooking, wish I lived in your house... yummy. The hot chocolate sounds nice opposite the clinic.

I was talking to the agency today & said I would love to meet Tina & Lara (ababysa) as they have been so helpful and I thought it would be nice that they meet us, since they know our donor personally as well. They really do have their hearts in the right place - as I suggested I come to them, but they are a fair way out of Cape Town & they have offered to meet at a place that suits us - and did mention the café/shop at CFC too as a place that they have met recipient's at in the past.

Hi to everyone else. Jodi hope you are ok, are you going back in November or having some breathing space for now?

Angel & everyone else - how are your plans going?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Helen - I had two major major bleeds. One very early at 6 weeks the other at 17.5 weeks. They were terrifying. Likewise I was ordered bed rest, Valium (to prevent the uterus from cramping/contracting - it also had the added bonus of calming me), more progesterone in addition to the POI I was ordered oral progesterone and Pessaries twice daily and Cyclocapron (a drug that stops micro vascular bleeds). All in all I was on that until 12 weeks. Following the bleed at 17.5 my Ob only ordered bed rest. The drugs at 6 weeks were ordered by the infamous Wazza, bless him. So on that note I am going to wish you a very HAPPY BFP

Pixel - I was on the prednisone and from memory started to wean via the Marshall protocol fairly early in the pregnancy. Sorry I can't remember when. Best to have a chat with FS especially if immune issues are a problem. Here's the link to the withdrawal protocol:

http://mpkb.org/home/othertreatments...ingoffsteroids

I know there is literature that cautions the use of prednisone in pregnancy, but one of my IVF warrior friends was prescribed 60 mg for terrible MS and she has a beautiful and perfect little girl.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laned For This Useful Post:

Pixel  (28-09-2013),sootymay  (28-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh Helen, how bitter sweet. A positive is good news and it is not uncommon to have bleeding in the first trimester. Especially if you are on clexane. Your test was very early as I was advised to test in 10 days and my clinic want me to wait till 12 days post transfer as they think 10 days is too early. Hopefully your next test will show rising HCG and set your mind at ease. Unfortunately there is not much you can do but rest. Try to stay positive. My thoughts are with you as I've been in your shoes too many times before. Believe this is your time. Younger eggs have an amazing capacity to overcome obstacles. I truly hope it will be ok. Hugs ps when I had my bleeds they increased progesterone pessaries and had me on bedrest for two weeks
    Last edited by Abundance1; 28-09-2013 at 04:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Helen - Congrats on your BFP. I'm sorry to hear that you had a bleed. It is frightening. I had a very bad bleed with my 12 year old daughter at 5 weeks.. but they sent me in for a scan at 6 weeks and there she was. THe best way to know whats going on is via your blood tests at this stage. Have they ordered another one 2 days after your first test and then one week after that? THat will be the single best indicator to tell you that everything is fine. So try not to stress - and let me give you a note on Dr Le Roux (he was our dr also) if he thought your situation was bad - trust me, he would tell you. We had a horrible situation in Cape Town and he was nothing but straight up and down and honest (with his kind sincere nature). You are in good hands there, so if he says to rest and not to worry at this stage, just follow his advice and trust him. It is also quite common for women to bleed when their period would normally be due - and you would be due around now. I know it's easy to say "don't worry" its natural to worry - but just know that a bleed does not always spell the end of your pregnancy. I had some spotting and freaked out around the 5 week mark and my clinic retested my bloods and they were doing what they were supposed to - so that eased my mind also. Did you have a 5 day transfer? I guess that's why the clinic told you to test in 10 days? Dr Le Roux told me he wanted me to test in 12 days - but that was because I had a 3dt.

Pixel - I have already weaned off the Predislone but, I was only given it as a precaution as I immune issues are not my issue. But you should definitely talk to your FS about when the time is right for you to start weaning. My dosage was just reduce from 4 tablets a day to 3 for 2 days, then 2 for 2 days, 1 for 2 days 1/2 for 2 days - finish! I had no side effects, bad headaches pain behind the eyes or any of that - BUT, I will say when I stopped the Predislone that's when my morning sickness really hit me with full force! The predislone masks pregnancy symptoms and gives you additional energy (that's why they tell you to take it early in the morning because it will effect your sleep if you take it too late in the day)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainbowchaser For This Useful Post:

Pixel  (28-09-2013),sootymay  (28-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thank you

Thanks so much for the advice, to my surprise my FS ears must have been burning as he called me at 9.30pm last night. Which I was impressed by as really he has been looking after me and posting scripts answering calls and emails with only the cost of two face to face appointments over the last 6 months.
    So he said to stay on all meds (E patches, Prog, clexane, plaquenil,aspirin, prednesolone, Prog inj) until scan at 6 weeks and lll do a blood test in next few days.
    He said the Prog injection and one crinone would be enough but I could use 2 crinone if I felt more secure with this. Tough one as the crinone is expensive so would save money to use 1 - I just want to do what works- any thoughts? 1 or 2 a day?

He was honest he said he wasn't really happy with the first HcG no. at 26 but felt by his calculations it was 3 days early so the second one was the no. he wanted which really was the day he thought I should first test - nerve raking conversation!
    So hopefully lll get more reassurance by early next week with a good number and then jump for joy (or maybe just wave my arms around ) for a heart beat at 6 weeks.

RB: Ive been wondering why my sleep has not been good (lots of energy and waking around 4am) and still no classic pregnancy symptoms except maybe going to the loo a bit more but thanks RB that would explain it. I've been doing 10mg morning 10mg night as I wasn't sure about an all in one go dose but maybe lll try all in the morning. Hopefully lll get to start weaning off at 6 weeks.

Judging by by everyone's post times in not sure if anyone else is sleeping too
    Last edited by Pixel; 28-09-2013 at 07:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello there everyone - many, many thanks for the positive virtual vibes. It means a lot (especially from a newcomer to the group).

I am really in limbo. The bleed has subsided overnight, so I am feeling less stressed... but still a wreck! I did have sensitive BB's, but that has now disappeared.. you can never tell anyway with the Progesterone! Other than that I don't think I have any further symptoms.. I am tired - but that could still be from the journey as we have only just slept through since Thursday night.

DH and I just had a mini meltdown last night.. its less than a week since we got back from CT and the enormity of it all was just too much.

After an exhausted sleep, I am feeling a little bit better this morning.
    Your messages of support have been a help, really.

Abundance - yes, I am on Clexane (and the cartia too), so am hoping that the blood thinning properties are to blame for this...
    And yes, I did also have a 5dt, so tested after 10 days.
    My GP was so keen to get the pregnancy test done, he didn't request the HCG level on the test request form!! Im heading back for a 2nd test on Monday - and will arrange for a 3rd on weds, to chart the HCG levels... I will then get another one done next Monday if it gets to that stage.

Though I will let you all know how it goes over the weekend.

I am currently lying in bed with the laptop so am trying to rest as much as possible. I don't intend moving until Monday!

Sootymay - Glad you find all the tips handy.. If you go on the tours with Willem, get him to take you to the harbour house restaurant at Kalk Bay (that's where he took us).. The fresh fish is nothing short of superb! (they also have a branch at the V&A which we tried on our last day.. the food and service was consistent with our other experience, so I would recommend that one too).

Another great place for Hot choocie is at a café called Tolo Velo (?) at the V&A. They serve a glass mug of hot milk, with chocolate moulded onto a wooden spoon... you stir the milk with the spoon and the chocolate just melts. Fantastic! They also do a great brunch too

It does sound like all we did was eat and drink.. which we did in all honesty. Even though Im feeling very anxious, I am still remembering what a wonderful holiday we had.. We were rarely at the clinic and apart from doing the meds every day, it was very low key and didn't dominate our day to day activities. We actually enjoyed ourselves 'having a holiday'....... From this perspective, it was very different than any of my previous domestic cycles. A lot more stress free....

xxxx

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Helonweels For This Useful Post:

sootymay  (28-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pixel - I was told to take all my Predisnilone in the morning because it will really affect your sleep. Check with your FS - but I'm quite sure this is why you would be having such trouble sleeping (other than waking to pee!). Yes, they do like your first HCG to be over 100, but it's what happens with those ongoing HCG numbers that count as long as they are doubling at least every 48 hours (and some women take up to 72 hours and that's normal too) then everybody is happy. Yours didn't just double, they quadrupled so don't sweat it babe

Helen - Glad to hear that your bleed has subsided. That's good news. The lovely Dr Le Roux had also emailed me back from his holiday. He is such a wonderful man.... I found the correspondence from his assistant absolutely appalling, but learnt to always email him and just cc her. He always came back long before she ever did (and often on weekends or his holidays) It is really the only negative comment I could make about my whole experience with the clinic.

I can also vouch for the Hot Chocolates at that cafe - (something Telo?) right under the big ferris wheel at the V&a. My daughter went out of her brain when she had it - it was beautiful and they offer you the choice of white chocolate, milk or dark. Oh don't get me started - I do miss CT soo much - watched The Living Room last night and teared up, but I know that we will be heading back there one day to show our little Springaroo where part of their ancestry lives. Africa got under my skin from the first time I went there as a young girl... It's well and truly under my skin now (ha ha)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainbowchaser For This Useful Post:

Pixel  (28-09-2013)