Closed Thread
Page 61 of 95 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Rainbow !!!!!!!!!!!!! Whoo hoo.... a good strong heartbeat (and just one.., I swore it was going to be 2) - I'm so happy for you, what a relief.

Oh my gosh... words cant describe that letter you rec'd - what the *** is wrong with the industry. Unbelievable... they need to be far more accountable. Probably NOT what you wanted to find out, today of all days, or any day.

Angel - I feel the same as Helonwheels - I read this forum from the first thread, right through to the very last post & have become hooked. It was all I needed to know to make my decision to move onto ED and go to SA & CFC within a 3-4 weeks of my own unsuccessful cycle.

There is so much valuable and priceless information on here, you couldn't ask for a nicer group of ladies sharing and contributing to help everyone else out that is considering ED or going through it... that's why I keep encouraging others to join in. Everyone has something to contribute.

It has reassured me so much, that when I went for my saline infusion sonogram at a very busy scanning centre, the ladies in there said to me they had heard such good things about SA... but to be honest, even when I hear it now, or read something in the paper (last weeks Lifestyle mag in the Sunday Paper - had a good story on a couple that had spent 100k & then went to SA) I don't really react or think much of it, as everything we need to know is on here, it really is.... and FOR ONCE ITS FREE !!

I have also heard from this forum (I hear everything on here!) that some FS will charge through the roof for "managing" your overseas ED Cycle - a total rort to say the least. My FS bulk billed everything, even his apt from memory - which was just really to organise scripts. I also had my GP write some scripts & order the required blood tests from CFC... she couldn't write the depot injection (apparently its a cancer treatment for men with prostate problems as well) and wouldn't do the clexane for some reason - but only because she isn't qualified in Fertility,.... but she did write lots of other scripts and blood tests that were required. It's awesome you are starting to make progress.

Helonwheels - oh gosh you have really had a rocky road with your miscarriages and the **** up, I'm so sorry to hear all that, what a unnecessary road you have had to travel and had they found sorted this all out earlier.... I would almost be suggesting compensation if you have the energy and the evidence.

Thank you for sharing your feelings with regards to travelling to SA, I kind of feel the same... and am even wondering if we should hire a car, or just pay someone. I don't know, not sure if I am been too paranoid...but I just cant help thinking about been told to have doors locked when driving etc! Also, about not carrying a handbag... I take my handbag everywhere with me... and I wonder, well I'm sure all the other local ladies living in SA carry a handbag... I mean, if we make sure we don't look like a tourist, surely we will be ok??

Do you mind me asking where you stayed and how much you paid? We really don't want to spend anymore than $120 per night, and both bookings we've made to date are $75 a night - and a bargain I must say - as they are super nice!! We are there 16 nights and we decided to move around a little (but not too much!!) I've booked 2 places and need to find another for 2 nights for the last 2 nights and 5 nights when we first arrive.

Laned - thanks for the info on the Brazil nuts... I was going to be shoving them down my throat at great rates, it will be just a few now! Yes, only 6 more weekends to go and starting to count. We've got a lady from work that will housesit & 2 cats and lab, which is a big weight off our minds - bless her. I am still to do our tax... ****e... I really need to get onto it.. but its such a boring chore.. I'd rather clean the house to be honest! I think it will start to feel more real when I get into all the extra meds, which start on 18 October. And also once I get full blood results back from Dr M. They have been coming in the mail in dribs and drabs (copy to me, copy to him) 2 yesterday and another 2 today. There are tonnes of figures, and I see some in red... mmh, but I'm not going to even try and play Doctor on this.. he can work it out, that's why we are paying him for

You're wee boy must be 5 months now - I bet he's at the a beautiful bonny baby age - where you could just eat him up with love

Rainbow - I agree re. the co-ordinator. I don't mean to be mean but Heidi is HOPELESS... all capitals. Dr H emails back almost immediately or within a few hours.. he's so approachable. I do the same, email him, copy her in to do the right thing so he knows (and she) that I'm not expecting him to reply, its really her job half of it, but nooooo, I never hear from her.. except for my treatment plan and an email or 2 after that to clarify a few times and all done and silent again !

Oh Pixel, I can only begin to imagine how you feel... it must be hard not to think about it every second of the day!!!? I'm so happy for you and I love your comment about not thinking too much about lack of symptoms to keep your stress levels down... sometimes its amazing how we can control our thoughts when we really need to. Its such super news for you both

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sootymay For This Useful Post:

laned  (27-09-2013),Pixel  (27-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sootymay,

Thanks for your lovely note.

i was told to shower in the morning with a cleanser like cetaphil as it has no fragrances. Then don't use any deodorants or scented moisturisers till after transfer. Once the embies are in they are safe so you don't have to worry. However if you are using arnica on your stomach or butt make sure it doesn't have camphor in it as embryos don't like this.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abundance1 For This Useful Post:

Rainbowchaser  (27-09-2013),sootymay  (27-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rainbow - congratulations. I cried when I read your post. Must be all the hormones!

sootymay - I can thoroughly recommend Azamare in camps Bay for a few nights. Great for girls travelling alone as its very comfortable and safe. Rates very but around $100-120 a night

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abundance1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Rainbow - how wonderful. Wishing you and your Springbok a safe, healthy and happy pregnancy. X

Sooty - no worries. Yes my precious little man is absolutely gorgeous. I still find myself staring at him in awe and thank the universe everyday for him. He is doing really well considering his start. He was in the 3rd percentile in the beginning, but now he is booming at 8.06kg and 70cm. He is such a lovely little boy. He is placid and very happy, loving a big chat, laughing and happy squeals. Hopefully this time next year you will be staring at your little one. X

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laned For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much ladies. Its all sinking in now. Still got a long way to go, but that first very important hurdle is out of the way.

Sooty - I'm not that worried about my AMH, because AMH is all about quantity. My issue was quality - and that's why we needed to go down the ED route. If the first IVF Dr had got the results from my natural pregnancy and miscarriage last March - we probably would have ended up down the ED route much sooner. I would definitely be taking Laned's recommendation for Camps Bay - it is so lovely there. You will LOVE spending a few days there (and I bet you wont want to leave) Make sure you try the mussels at the Cafe Caprice right at the end of the strip (my mouth waters just thinking of them). Please don't stress about your personal safety. Cape Town is just like any other big city - you just need to keep your wits about you. I carried a handbag and nearly every woman I saw there does also. I left my designer ones at home though and just carried a very basic black bag. Cape Town is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. You are going to seriously get a lump in your throat when you see the glorious Table Mountain. You could most definitely hire a car if you wanted. We used Danny the whole time and he was sensational. Either way, do what works best for you. If you are trying to save some extra dollars hiring a car will be cheaper. Just make sure that you have all the insurance cover (and that your Aussie Insurance policy covers all necessary excess) and you will be sweet. Maybe just take a couple of days to see how you feel and then make the decision. Get yourself orientated using the Red and Blue tourist Bus, this will give you a good feel for all the main points of cape town (including Camps Bay - which I LOVED) and you will be fine. Prepare yourself for the most amazing holiday (which I know you will have) and all the rest is just a bonus. I think I have said on here before, that for the first week, we actually forgot the real reason why we were there, the "business end" of the trip comes from ER and up to transfer. If I had a BFN - I still had THE best holiday of my life (and with my DH and DD) no IVF cycle gives you that here - just the whack in the hip pocket AND the emotions.

Laned - so lovely to hear about your little man. They just keep on getting better and better at that age.

My darling daughter came into me last night and put her arms around me and said "mummy, I am so happy that you are pregnant - I can't wait to meet my little brother or sister" Of course I just cried. She has been on this rocky journey with us and I know that she will be the worlds best big sister. She is amazing with children and will be an amazing help to me. I feel so blessed to have her and this little Springaroo on board (mind you my husband says I have to say "Wallabock" as this bub is a Wallaby first and foremost - and if it's a boy would play for the Wallabies - not the Springbocks (too funny - MEN!!)

Have a lovely day everybody xxxx

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rainbowchaser For This Useful Post:

laned  (27-09-2013),Pixel  (27-09-2013),sootymay  (27-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Abundance & Laned, thank you for the replies, I'll check out Azamare right now!

Awwww Laned he sounds beautiful, thank you for sharing. Magical

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sootymay For This Useful Post:

laned  (27-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a quick note

Clexane can be prescribed by any GP - it is predominantly a blood thinner, sometimes a pre-cursor to warferin.. so isnt a specific fertility drug. I used to take it long ago before flying as it can assist in prevention of DVT! Its amazing the double/triple uses of drugs these days.. ie triptorelin for prostate cancer (as well as putting out ovaries into a dormant state)! My nana is currently on it at home - and she is 91 (so no pregnancy planning going on there, let me tell you)!
    Hope this helps
    Kindest

Helen

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Helonweels For This Useful Post:

sootymay  (27-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rainbow - THANK YOU so much for your lovely long reply on Cape Town. I know I've read it before, but it's still a little daunting. I was really relieved to read thought that you DID carry a basic black bag! I know it seems such a silly question - so I'm going to carry mine too!

Camps Bay sounds amazing. Can I ask how close it is to walking to V&A Waterfront? Or is it a bit far away? I've booked 2 places now and need to book another 2. So the first week, I thought we could stay near the V&A or something near the city but with water views! Then the 2nd week we are in a little cottage in Claremont, 2 blocks from the clinic (its on CFC's recommended list) and the lady that lives in the main homestead, Annette has been wonderful. That takes ALL stress out of getting to and from the clinic & they have a lovely garden and pool - for relaxing in the recliners on transfer day I also thought we can do our longer winery trips etc during this week, as Claremont doesn't seem quite as happening or exciting as the city or the V&A! ~

I love the way your explain and rave about Cape Town with so much passion. Its really reassuring and nice to know how beautiful it is. Thanks for the tip on Café Caprice's mussels, yummy... if they are anything like our NZ mussels, I'm in for a treat xx.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sooty - no problem at all. Happy to help. Camps Bay is definitely not a walk from the V&A - unless you REALLY like to walk?! It's a taxi ride - or if you buy a three day pass on the red bus while you are in Camps bay you can get on and off as you like? Taxi's in cape town are seriously not expensive though.

Claremont is beautiful too. It's just very quiet. Make sure that when you go to the clinic you go to the little cafe downstairs across the car park... they have THE best hot chocolates. They serve a big glass of frothed milk with a little pot of chocolate - oh yum! I miss Cape Town sooooo much. Seriously, don't sweat it about the safety there, once you get there and get your feet, you will realise you had nothing to worry about. The only worry you will have about Cape Town will be leaving it! I could live in Camps Bay. It was a bit like lifestyles of the rich and famous. We were there when it was cold (and LOVED it) but I imagine in warm weather it would be a million times better. The muscles in SA are OMG delicious. I agree that NZ mussels are yummy, but have to say that the SA ones were the best I have ever tasted. When you get there and eat them...you're gonna be nodding your head saying - ah, now I understand what Rainbow is talking about! I've bought another South African cookbook since I came home and last night made the most beautiful Tipsy Tart. I don't think I am ever going to recover from the food in South Africa :-(

AFM - My OB called me today to congratulate me on my scan results and booked me into see him Oct 16. He wants to monitor me earlier than he normally would because of my history and because of all the effort we have gone to achieving this pregnancy - for which I am so grateful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all,

happy happy Friday. just a quick one if anyone is home with nothing to do tonight... tune into The Living Room on Channel 10 (thats if you are in sunny Melbourne).

Dr Chris and Miguel are in South Africa not sure if they will show CPT but worth checking it out.

As for those of you that are missing the food from CPT.. my DH has discovered a South African shop in Melbourne that has Boerworrs(??) and some other delights... he is also now making his own Biltong!!! Bought a wee machine online and now is keeping us in supply of Biltong!

Anyway will do some personals over the weekend.

Bye for now xx

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Makeba For This Useful Post:

Pixel  (27-09-2013),Rainbowchaser  (27-09-2013),sootymay  (27-09-2013)