+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Please share your experiences

I'm not a single parent yet but my sons father and I have been having issues for a long time and its gotten to the point where I have decided it is better for us to no longer stay together, we currently share a house and finances and everything we have has been purchased while we have been together.

Our lease does not end until the end of October this year and neither of us can afford to stay in this house alone so I guess I'm wondering what others have done or whether they have been in similar circumstances? We will most likely live together until our lease is up, but what is it like living with your ex (if you have) did it make things harder, easier or just confusing? Any experience with claiming SPP whilst still living with your child's father?

I am hoping we can be amicable about this for our sons sake ideally I would like to talk about the things we each want from our assets and work out something that suits us both its just such a huge change and I know it needs to be done but I'm so scared at the same time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks blossompossum I have set up a meeting with a social worker at centrelink to explain our circumstances and see if there's anything they can do as I cannot afford to move or really even pay half our rent and food for my son and myself with only the FTB and small amount I get in parenting payment currently. Legal aid is a good idea although I was hoping we would be able to sort it out on our own we have talked about it previously and both know that things would be split 50/50 (we have been together for the last 4years if that makes any difference)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitely have more than 50/50 custody he would have our son every 2nd weekend so 2 days every fortnight. He doesn't currently with hold money as we have a joint account any money that comes in goes into that and we both have access to it although this will obviously change. We have spoken in the past when we were going to separate about how we were going to do things I think at the end of the day we both know that this is for the best we just don't work well together in a relationship and I know once we get past the initial shock of separating things will get easier and probably even more so once we are both able to live in our own houses. I love him but I am no longer in love with him he is a great father and a great friend but I just don't see myself with him forever and I would rather things end now than in a few years time and our son understands what's going on

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope so, he is not the kind of guy that would just throw us out on the street with no where to go and he would always make sure our son has all of his needs met. It's a scary thought moving out on my own but I know a year from now it will just be the norm for us so I'm holding on to that for now

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashley595 For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (14-07-2013)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I lived with my ex for two years (though we didn't have children) and he's now back as my dp, but that one might just be luck of the draw. Living with him was fine, for the first year it was a little unit we shared and we were just like roommates then we moved out to a share house.

A guy I knew lived with the mother of his daughter for three years and they made it work until he found a new lady and she (mother of child) got too jealous and made things hard for him. You can make it work if you both make an effort.

I don't know anything about centrelink sorry.

Sent from my talky stick

7. The Following User Says Thank You to αληθη For This Useful Post:

Ashley595  (14-07-2013)