+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Allergies and solids

Both my kids suffer from eczema which runs in the family. My DD has nut and egg allergy and we also think a possible milk protein intollerene - (we are keeping an eye on it ATM). She has not had a skin patch test done. She has ended up in hospital for the mild egg reaction (they assumed she'd grow out of it by 2yrs old and im too scared to try again!) she comes out in hives if she touches peanut butter or kiwi fruit and sometimes tomatoes.
    My DS is 6.5mths old and has started solids.
    When should i try him on eggs?
    Should we get him a skin patch test done first?

dd started solids at 4mths old and brest fed for 6mths. ds was exclusively breastfed untill 6mths old. Both developed eczema at 3mths old.
    Last edited by the very last country song; 14-07-2013 at 08:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would talk to your Dr - if there are allergies in the family them I would assume you would be better off getting him tested first? I'm sure I read babies who get eczema are more likely to develop food allergies?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep I agree with PP; your regular family GP should be able to steer you in the right direction.
    No allergies at all in both mine and DH's family and DS (4yrs) doesn't have any. DD (8mths) spews more when she eats banana and toast so I'll steer clear of those for a little and reoffer later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've heard recently that you should try putting some egg on his cheek, look for a reaction and next time try egg on his lip before actually feeding it to him.

DS has an egg intolerance. I made an egg custard and gave DD a teaspoon - no reaction. You could also try eggs like muffins or something where it has been baked long enough to change the proteins.

Thanks
    Reviews
    everywhere i read said start solids 6mths and not before. Bub Hub forums, breastfeeding books, BLW books, Annabel Karmel, other Baby food books, SOS, My GP and MCHN.
    Just 2 years ago, i was told by my MCHN to start solids at 4mths old and given the whole 'allergies' reasoning. I bleieve it was far to early looking back. Plus, it didnt help at all with allergies. So that was my reason for starting solids at 6mths with DS. My guess is if allergies are in the genes your kid is most likley going to cop it. Foods may trigger it but when you start them on food has nothing to do with it. That's my experience anways.
    I dont believe i "delayed" solids at all with either of my kids so dont know why that comment was brought up.