+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How to toilet train non verbal 3 year old, Help please!!

I am finding it really difficult on toilet training my non verbal 3 year old ds.. also he is scared of the toilet as if he will fall in and sticks his legs out straight... any tips? Very difficult as he's non verbal.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Visual aides? Putting him on the potty every 15-20 mins and make a song and dance if he does wee. Will the encouragement help him to go? I mean if u remind him or ask him will he nod or are there comprehension issues as well? Could you try to teach him the sign (sign language) for toilet?

Braiiiiins
    *60kilos lost*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I's kind of in the same boat. My non verbal 2.5yr old is not interested at all and I have no idea how to takle it. But....

If he's scared to sit on it could you maybe start with weeing standing up? My friends son hated sitting on the toilet, but she started him standing to wee and she brought some wee targets online (they start off black and when the wee hits it it gets a picture on it) it seemed to make it fun and not so scary and then when he found this out he was happy to sit for a poo as it was not so scary anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    is he showing signs of being ready? If he is scared of the loo and it is getting stressful, I would leave it for a while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hmm it's a bit of a tricky one .. when I ask him if he needs to go he nods no.. but then sometimes takes me to the toilet and points to it. when 4 year old dd goes to the toilet he follows her in and won't leave... at times when I ask him things, he just screams and talks his baby language and can't string a sentence together.. actually can't say more than 3 words in a row. bit frustrating cos dd is a chatterbox.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My ds was scared of the toilet so we just left it until he was ready. He has autism and comprehension issues but he decided when he was ready. Maybe just follow his lead? When he points to it. Try put him on... And see what happens?

Braiiiiins
    *60kilos lost*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    if it's stressing him out, I'd leave it for a little bit longer. in the meantime, use positive talk about toileting when you can. let them see that its not scary, just something we all do. get some books or create a social story so they can see the process of using the toilet

my dd is 4 and is non verbal too. still in nappies and maybe forever but we still talk to her about what the toilet is etc. you never know!