Default Corrective eye surgery

Has anyone had corrective eye surgery?
    What procedure did you have?
    How well did it work?
    Are you glad you did it?
    How did you go about organising it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't yet, but was told you have to wait for your prescription to be steady for a year before they consider it (and bonus, they can help people with a stigmatism too!)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had to wait for my prescription to stabilise and I had to not be pregnant or breastfeeding. I went to an Ophthalmologist with a referral from my Optometrist and got an assessment to see if I was suitable. I had special drops that dilated my pupils and paralysed my lens muscles or something. They were horrible. I couldn't handle bright rooms or computer screens for 2 days (longer than usual as my eyes are blue apparently!). The issue was that the laser vision correction can cause irritation in bright areas or when looking at computer screens and it can last a while, or in some people, forever. As I felt sick for those 2 days I elected not to go ahead. For me, any risk was a risk too much. But, it's different for everyone. Start by talking to your Optometrist (mine has had laser vision correction and she loves it!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm having both my eyes done next month in Perth. LASIK surgery. I'm a bit apprehensive about it but I've researched it a lot. My eyes are very bad, my right one is -6.6 . It's costing me $6400 for both eyes. I've just turned 40 and the Dr said I'd probably still need reading glasses by the time I'm 45. I'm totally fine with that after wearing contacts for 22 yrs . I am a bit concerned about the fact you can't rub your eyes for a month! And how my 16mth old will react seeing me with eye shields on the first night, but I'm also excited about getting up to him in the night and not having to search for my glasses, and to go swimming without worrying about losing a contact lens!
    I went for a free consultation with the expert here in Perth, as my prescription hasn't changed in a few years despite pregnancy. Then he was able to advise if I was a suitable candidate and for which type of laser surgery as there are a couple of types.
    Last edited by Bellaleggos; 26-08-2013 at 22:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I definitely want to at some stage but waiting for my sight to stabilise too... Hopefully soon cos it's really terrible already! The cost would be worth it for me considering the yearly cost of contacts and glasses, esp with very bad sight the glasses lenses get so expensive! My uncle had it a few years ago and said it was one of his best decisions

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had it done 3 weeks ago and it's fantastic. Highly recommend. One of my eyes was 6.25 and I now have better than 20:20 vision 😃😃it was worth the $$

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had laser on both my eyes 18 years ago. Best money I ever spent. My vision is perfect. My friend at the time had hers done in Russia 27 years ago and she was the one who talked me into it. In saying that my vision was only -1.5 and -1 so it wasn't too bad but I hated the inconvenience of contacts. I just organised it privately and at the time I paid about $2500.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had mine done in 2004. Best money I've ever spent. I too had drops I. My eyes that dilated my eyes previously (and even since due to migraines) but my laser surgery hasn't cause that kind of issues with brightness.

I love being able to see without glasses and would recommend it to anyone. However I have noticed a few things 9 years down the track. During both my pregnancies I felt like things were getting a little blurry again. Now I feel like I need to go back to the optometrist as I'm starting to struggle with distance again a little. I had LASIK and it a lifetime warranty so I'll get it fixed at no extra charge if need be.

I've definitely found my eyes are much more light sensitive and do get tired after king periods of time on the computer. I wear sunnies outdoors regularly and feel like cars are high beaming at night sometime when they aren't.

Still money well spent for me though.