+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 171
  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,613
    Thanks
    1,495
    Thanked
    686
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    So sad the Australian medical profession seem to view home birth in such light. I was watching midwives on abc2 on wed night and they were saying that they would prefer if a lot more women would choose home birth as its cheaper on the system and more comfortable for the mother, plus a whole lot more benefits. Why can't Australia have a system like that?

    Either way, I agree with a pp that it is just sensationalist media trying to get an audience..
    I was also watching this thinking the same

    Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,188
    Thanks
    483
    Thanked
    1,050
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    No, homebirths themselves are not illegal if a baby dies, however court cases can, and do, happen if a baby dies in a homebirth if there is the potential to prove that the baby would have lived if born in a hospital. Or if there is evidence to support the mother was acting dangerously (ie no care provider, high risk birth etc).
    This. Anytime someone dies it would be considered a 'crime scene'. An investigation would be done and then it would be decided if the coroner should investigate or it might be signed off as natural causes. The same thing would actually happen if a baby died during birth in a hospital.

    So it is not illegal to have a home birth, but if something went wrong it could potentially get messy.

  3. #13
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The title of this thread actually made me feel nauseous it is so sad that families and professionals are vilified because their baby died at home yet it happens all.the.time in hospital.

    It is not illegal if your baby dies at home, what they try to establish was if they baby breathed or if there was any cardiac activity post birth, if there wasn't then it wont go any further ie coroner.

    I'm pretty sure it will be sensationalized media crap with 'reporting' done by journalists who know nothing about homebirthing, they will find the nuttiest unregistered midwife they can, there will be an interview done with the AMA who will state that homebirth is unsafe (when it's actually safer) and probably a 'nice' family who will of had one but who will state that they fitted the pigeon hole all the state run homebirth programs offer and anyone outside of that pigeon hole is silly to homebirth.

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (13-07-2013),Bubbles10  (14-07-2013),Mathermy  (14-07-2013),MilkingMaid  (14-07-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (13-07-2013)

  5. #14
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    I think you can be done for negligence if you go against drs advice and have a home birth and something does happen, look at t he woman recently in the news being charged after she ignored medical advice and went home birth route
    The mother isn't being charged, it's the midwife..unless there have been more developments I have not seen.

    And I have never heard of a mother being charged with neglect over a bad homebirth/freebirth outcome because ultimately it's your body and you can do as you wish provided your of stable mind.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

    Bubbles10  (14-07-2013)

  7. #15
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Central West
    Posts
    1,540
    Thanks
    1,829
    Thanked
    855
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    So sad the Australian medical profession seem to view home birth in such light. I was watching midwives on abc2 on wed night and they were saying that they would prefer if a lot more women would choose home birth as its cheaper on the system and more comfortable for the mother, plus a whole lot more benefits. Why can't Australia have a system like that?

    Either way, I agree with a pp that it is just sensationalist media trying to get an audience..
    I think this is interesting. I know very little about home births. Does anyone know if there are any countries around the world that are supportive of home birthing? I guess in terms of it being cheaper as Nomsie said. I truly have no clue!

  8. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,726
    Thanks
    168
    Thanked
    479
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for all the replies everyone, some very useful info. I am sure the SN story will be sensationalised.

    headoverfeet - sorry the title bothered you, I'm pretty sure that's the wording they used on the promo - doesn't sit well with me either.

  9. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,313
    Thanks
    1,749
    Thanked
    1,816
    Reviews
    24
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    I think you can be done for negligence if you go against drs advice and have a home birth and something does happen, look at t he woman recently in the news being charged after she ignored medical advice and went home birth route
    I disagree. I went against medical advice when birthing ds2. They wanted to csec me due to previous 4th deg tears. I gave birth in hospital but if something went wrong, I would not have been charged. If I was at home would I have been?

    Sent from my GT-P7500 using BubHub

  10. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,313
    Thanks
    1,749
    Thanked
    1,816
    Reviews
    24
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    I did not say one should I said I think they can, I thought legally you can be done if you went against medical advice and your baby died?
    Wouldn't that be for anything then ? Dr said to give bubpanadol, you didn't so baby dies , is that your fault for going against med advice?

    Sent from my GT-P7500 using BubHub

  11. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Far far away!
    Posts
    1,378
    Thanks
    1,403
    Thanked
    1,063
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't seen the promotions for this, but are they talking more about freebirthing? If a person of any age dies at home with no doctor or medical professional present, and for no obvious reason, I think the police do have to be involved, I could be wrong though. That doesn't mean it is a crime scene, it's just procedure.

    I agree that homebirth gets an undeserved bad reputation. I guess it is another case of the extreme few getting all the publicity, while the majority of people who homebirth do so and go on their merry way.

    Birth is not a medical procedure, it's a fact of life. In many countries, homebirth is a perfectly normal and acceptable option for pregnant women. I don't see why it can't be in Australia. To me a midwife managed homebirth is not really much different to a midwife managed birth in a birthing centre.

    Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  12. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    32
    Reviews
    0
    Couldn't not reply to this one. A few facts...

    Home birth is not illegal in Australia.

    Evidence strongly supports that if you have a low risk pregnancy, choosing to have a home birth is just as safe (and some suggest safer) than in hospital.

    When the literature talks about 'safety' they are only referring to live mothers and babies. While this is a very important statistic and needs to be paramount, safety can also be extended to include other physical aspects of the woman's body (ie intact perineum, reduced unnecessary C-section), emotional and psychological health (reduced post natal depression, feeling satisfied with the birth experience, feeling less anxious and more supported during pregnancy, birth and beyond) and outcomes for the baby (breastfeeding rates, skin to skin contact and consequent benefits, babies experience of birth). These statistics for different birth choices also need to be considered.

    Please remember that home is just a location - many women choosing to give birth at home are using one on one continuity of care through a known midwife (typically and independent midwife) as their model of care. The same midwife is there for all pre and post appointments, and the midwife does not leave during crucial parts of the birth due to shift changes or needing to monitor other women. This model of care has been demonstrated in the literature to give the best outcomes for women and babies. There are also women who give birth at home who choose to free birth - ie they have no or limited medical support pre/post and during the birth. This model of care is VERY different to home birth with an independent and highly trained midwife. Only the location is the same. The media doesn't seem to be able to differentiate this.

    There are now a number of countries where home birth is a common and encouraged option. European countries a taking a lead here, and in New Zealand all women are funded for midwifery or obstetric care of their choice in the environment of their choice.

    Since the collapse of HIA insurance, independent midwives have not been able to obtain insurance for the actual birth. However they are fully insured for all before and after involvement. They currently have an exemption from having insurance because none is available. Independent midwives are currently working very hard to negotiate insurance options.

    If a baby or mother were to die at home, then of course an investigation would occur. Just as I would hope a very thorough investigation would occur whenever a mother or baby dies in hospital (we don't often hear about this in the media...). Unfortunately reporting of the investigation is likely to be biased due to a preference for culturally based practice, rather than evidence based practice, within this country.

    Most independent midwives are very cautious in their practice and have very clear guidelines around when they recommend a woman does transfer into hospital. You may notice that women talk about 'planning' a home birth rather than stating they are 'having' a home birth. There are times when it is very appropriate to move to a hospital setting; however it is quite amazing how much medical equipment independent midwives carry with them. And when birth is allowed to unfold uninterrupted in an environment where the woman feels safe, it is rare that medical intervention is required. At least the rates start to fall within the WHO recommendations for intervention and C-section for birth.

    Good luck with your birth choices! End of essay.....

  13. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to four legged mummy For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (13-07-2013),Atropos  (13-07-2013),BH-KatiesMum  (14-07-2013),HowCrazyCool  (13-07-2013),Mathermy  (14-07-2013),MilkingMaid  (14-07-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (13-07-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (13-07-2013),mum2twinboys  (13-07-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (14-07-2013),risfaerie  (13-07-2013),tjewell  (14-07-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. :-( **Trigger warning** Heart wrenching story.
    By M.2. in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 23-02-2013, 21:33
  2. Bullying *Possible Trigger Warning*
    By lolly137 in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 21:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pyjamas.com.au
With so many gorgeous brands and styles for every season, our pyjamas, nighties, robes, sleepsuits and sleeping bags are lovely for lights out and perfect for lazy days. Get 10% off first order using code bubhub. Be quick offer ends 31/12/16.
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
Little Kickers NSW
Little Kickers was launched in 2002 in the UK and arrived Down Under in 2009. Our motto is “Play not Push” and we provide a positive fun-filled soccer program for children aged 18 months -7 years in a vibrant, group play environment.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!