+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm very supportive of home birth, with a midwife , freebirth, sorry I think it's irresponsible.

There needs to be way more services to allow homebirth, or at the very minimum birth centres/midwife group programs at every public hospital. I think there's one hospital in Brisbane that has a birth centre? (Correct me f I'm wrong) but that's disgusting. There's none on the Sunshine Coast I know, there needs to be many ,ore!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id love to have a homebirth but the cost prevents me from doing so

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Homebirth should be part of our birthing system for sure. Women are going to do it, so it may as well be part of the system, take pressure of the maternity wards at the hospital etc.

I have no problem with homebirth - it isn't for me. But I can see why others choose to do it.

But I do agree with PPs - I don't understand, when someone is high risk why they would fight to go down that route. A lot of home birth advocates say if it is multiple or high risk they should birth in a hospital setting. So not only are these women going against medical advice, they are going against home birth advice as well.

There needs to be give an take in any situation.

Re the "elective" c.section term. I HATE that term, there are so many that have to occur, it isn't a choice, but it is called elective?? It should be called "medical" c/section or whatever, because it usually is because it is needed. I have never met anyone in real life who had a c/section for no reason other than they just don't want to tear their vagina. I suspect that those figures are exaggerated a lot of the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry in advance for another long post, but I wonder if this is why someone who has a high risk pregnancy may still choose to go down the home birth route....

* A woman makes an educated and informed decision about the environment and supports that she needs to safely birth her baby, and wants to birth at home
    * A complication arises in the pregnancy (ie multiple/breech) but the woman feels so disempowered by the hospital system that she is not convinced that she can maintain control and have her preferred environment/supports replicated in the hospital setting even though most home birth midwives would recommend that additional medical backup is advisable
    * So she chooses to stay at home anyway as she rates the risks of unwanted timeframes and interventions as greater than the arising risks of the complications

As a person who is planning a home birth I would choose to transfer into a hospital with my independent midwives if I had a multiple or breech pregnancy, or other complication. However I only feel comfortable doing this because I have chosen my back up hospital carefully, and my midwives are very strong women who will create the environment that I need and protect me from the unnecessary interventions that would be offered to me, while supporting me to access the interventions that I do need.

Out of nine close friends who have had babies in the past 18 months (all low risk, no complication pregnancies, all in hospital), only one of them can report a non traumatic birth experience. Interventions included medically necessary C-sections, episiotomies, significant tearing, assisted deliveries and heightened anxiety about baby's wellbeing. They were all young, fit and healthy women with no pregnancy complications! Most are terrified of having to birth again.

Out of the midwife supported, home birthing community of mothers that I have now got to know, over 95% have been able to achieve a natural vaginal birth without any interventions or assistance, at worst a minor tear or graze. They report enjoying birth, even the few that transferred into hospital due to arising complications (ie induction needed, breech, high blood pressure).

I have to ask myself why there are these extreme differences in experience and outcome, as statistically the two groups would be rated as pretty similar.

I am a firm believer that our maternity systems needs to offer all women the choice of independent midwifery care due, whether this is for a home birth or within a hospital setting if a women chooses or needs this. I would also like to see debate move to how we can ensure that women who choose or need to go into hospital can still experience the support/environment/control/evidence based choices that they are able to access through independent midwifery in the home environment.
    This comes back to issues with the through-put nature of hospitals where timeframes and rules only match such a very small proportion of naturally labouring women. As a consequence it is rare for hospital based staff of all professions to have witnessed an undisturbed, natural birth - hence they have more faith in their interventions than women's bodies. The problem with current 1:1 midwifery care in hospitals and hospital based homebirth options in my area is that women and midwifes are still bound by these often outdated and culturally based hospital policies. This makes the criteria for home birth so narrow that many women get unnecessarily transferred back into the hospital system. Or hospital midwives are obliged to follow the hospital rules rather than their own midwifery evidence based practice; and based on their repeated experiences with women under these controlled conditions they understandably come to believe that intervention is required and is the norm.

Women can only make the choices available to them and their financial resources. Maybe we need to change the choices.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to four legged mummy For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (16-07-2013),Bubbles10  (17-07-2013),kbf2plus2  (16-07-2013),Mathermy  (16-07-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (16-07-2013),Tildy  (16-07-2013),Twinkling  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Some hospitals do homebirths. My local public hospital does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Homebirth isn't for me and I used to be 110% against it until reading a lot of stories on BH about some horrible birth experiences and I can now understand why people would want to do it, and I agree with it when a midwife is present. Freebirth I can't get behind though.

I also think it would take the pressure off our maternity wards. So I think it should be Medicare funded just as a normal hospital birth would be.

But yeah, I have BH to thank for changing my views on homebirthing I have read some truly amazing stories on here and definitely can understand why it is the best option for some people.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    “Mothers do not sacrifice their babies for some peculiar notion of what might be a fun way to give birth. On the contrary, mothers love their babies enough to hold deep respect and honour for the process of bringing them to birth. It is that respect and honour that empowers us to give birth with love and joy.” — Midwife Jane Hearren in SageWoman, 1988

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Bexta  (16-07-2013),Little Boys Blue  (16-07-2013),Mathermy  (16-07-2013),Tildy  (16-07-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If you don't want a freebirth, don't have one. Pretty much that simple. It hurts to hear people say I shouldn't be able to have one. It's my baby, to assume you care more about my baby than I do is insulting.

And what they going to do about it? Lock up women who have one? Take away their children? How would you figure out who had a planned unassisted birth and who gave birth before arrival at hospital?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not saying you can't have a freebirth, but I still think its incredibly irresponsible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    If you don't want a freebirth, don't have one. Pretty much that simple. It hurts to hear people say I shouldn't be able to have one. It's my baby, to assume you care more about my baby than I do is insulting.

And what they going to do about it? Lock up women who have one? Take away their children? How would you figure out who had a planned unassisted birth and who gave birth before arrival at hospital?

This is a genuine question because I honestly want to learn more. Does it worry you about serious medical complications? I was in a medical emergency last year (baby related) and I literally had 5 minutes to get to surgery, and even then I needed blood transfusions because I'd already lost a crazy amount of blood. I would be scared that being home, with no medical professional and not being within seconds of help.

Like I said, I mean absolutely no offense, I'm really wanting to understand.