+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    do you think the OBS would have supported her though, or would they have used scare tactics to csec her.

I wouldn't home birth but women should have the choice.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using BubHub
    Perhaps. I think obs in general can be a bit c section happy, I think they like to think they have control. I also think sometimes its for the best though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Because it would have been a csec and they carry their own risks. The mother chose the one she felt had less risk.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using BubHub card have just as many risks
    C-sections are actually quite safe the vast majority of the time these days. We are lucky that women have such easy access to them and there were many women and babies not so long ago who died because they didn't have access to c-section or other medical intervention. It's possible that some women are in fact wrong when they make the decision they view as having "less risk" because they have been convinced that natural childbirth is safer than it is or they have been convinced that medical intervention is harmful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    do you think the OBS would have supported her though, or would they have used scare tactics to csec her.

I wouldn't home birth but women should have the choice.

are they really scare tactics? Perhaps they are trying to minimise harm.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigbum For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (15-07-2013),wigglemum  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't hesitate following ob orders at all. I'm a pediatric dietician by trade, not a doctor. But being in the medical field and I'm on the consulting panel for a lot of respected doctors, they tell me not to home birth or that it's ok to home birth or you need a c section I'm gonna listen!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (16-07-2013),Blossompossumxxxx  (14-07-2013),Made in England  (15-07-2013),VicPark  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbum View Post
    C-sections are actually quite safe the vast majority of the time these days. We are lucky that women have such easy access to them and there were many women and babies not so long ago who died because they didn't have access to c-section or other medical intervention. It's possible that some women are in fact wrong when they make the decision they view as having "less risk" because they have been convinced that natural childbirth is safer than it is or they have been convinced that medical intervention is harmful.
    Natural childbirth IS safer than a c-sect though. Sometimes a c sect is necessary, but no one can convince me that all the csects performed in this country are medically necessary- even taking electives out of the equation.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (14-07-2013),Bubbles10  (15-07-2013),HippyGirl85  (16-07-2013),IndigoJ  (14-07-2013),Lillynix  (14-07-2013),MilkingMaid  (15-07-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post
    I don't hesitate following ob orders at all. I'm a pediatric dietician by trade, not a doctor. But being in the medical field and I'm on the consulting panel for a lot of respected doctors, they tell me not to home birth or that it's ok to home birth or you need a c section I'm gonna listen!
    Really? Even though you think they are c sect happy and want to be in control? All I'm saying is that I don't think it's a bad thing to question your ob. I've had midwives both my births but there are some obs that friends have used that I would love to question!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post
    Perhaps. I think obs in general can be a bit c section happy, I think they like to think they have control. I also think sometimes its for the best though.
    I said can be - I know of some ob who tell husbands in the private sector things like why wreck the play ground? Disgusting I know, but none of these mothers even entertain the idea of natural child birth. C sections are natural to them. I also think they like to be in control in situations like breach to control the birth so it's doesn't lead to complications. Obs try to minimize their "risk" too.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (14-07-2013),missymoo9  (14-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    are they really scare tactics? Perhaps they are trying to minimise harm.
    Yes I believe they are some of the time. I was scared into an episiotomy, which was effectively a vaginal csec, that caused me to tear fourth degree. Purely because I wasnt pushing effectively and id been there too long. With my next baby the Dr I saw told me if need a csec, then they listed all different things to scare me. Every appt they tried to bully me into a csec, even though there was more risk to the baby. I was considering a home birth so I wouldn't have to deal with their scare tactics. Ftr my bub was born in hospital within 3hrs. None of the things they tried to scare me with even came close to happening. So if I listened I would have had a csec unnecessarily. It was my choice, same as home birth is a valid choice too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (15-07-2013)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I don't think I would like to live in a country that encourages a method of care for pregnant and birthing women and new babies based on reducing costs Surely we are more important than that. My personal opinion is that childbirth is dangerous. I can not understand the ideology of some home birthers but recognise that it is safe for low risk women usually.
    Childbirth in a low risk setting with proper prenatal care isn't dangerous though? If it were, how did we manage to populate the world so well before obstetricians? Ob's are relatively new... Heck around 150 years ago dr's wouldn't even attend births... And midwives were just normal women who had been through childbirth before. It's a natural thing out bodies are made to do.
    I'm not a home birther, and have never aspired to be- but I will fight for their right to have the type of birth they want in the environment they want, and I will definitely fight for it to become more of a standard.
    As for modelling our system off of great Britain's, I agree the financial benefits would merely be a perk, and not a major reason for the change... But I still think its a much better system than we have now.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (14-07-2013),Bubbles10  (15-07-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Natural childbirth IS safer than a c-sect though. Sometimes a c sect is necessary, but no one can convince me that all the csects performed in this country are medically necessary- even taking electives out of the equation.
    All things being equal that might be true. But natural is not safer in a number of conditions (placenta previa, placental abruption etc). I also think that the use of the word 'elective' is very misleading. I will be having an 'elective' c-section in about 3 weeks. I have already spent 3 weeks in hospital and another 7 weeks on bed rest with a retro placental hematoma. There is a high chance that to enter labour naturally will result in another haemorrhage. Considering one previous episode saw me nearly die, this is a risk I (and my DH who is an equal part of this decision) am not willing to take.

I agree that there are many people who use c-sections for their convenience (to get the ob they want, to match a partners FIFO schedule etc), to suggest that all electives could be done naturally with no risk is just not right.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (14-07-2013)