+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default *Trigger warning* Sunday Night story - homebirths turning into 'crime scenes'

*I'm not sure if this requires a 'trigger warning', but I've put one in the title just in case the content might upset anyone*

So I've seen a promo for Sunday Night about homebirths turning into 'crime scenes'. Obviously you only get a snippet of the story, but the interviewer asked 'but homebirth isn't illegal' and the interviewee answered something like 'it is if you lose a baby'.

DH and I both looked at each other and went that can't be right?? We had an unplanned homebirth with DS2, but I would definitely plan a homebirth with any future bubs. Can anyone shed any light on homebirths becoming illegal if a baby is lost at birth? I get the feeling there is probably much more to the story (of course), but the promo has got me curious.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing I am curious too

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by decemberbubba View Post
    *I'm not sure if this requires a 'trigger warning', but I've put one in the title just in case the content might upset anyone*

So I've seen a promo for Sunday Night about homebirths turning into 'crime scenes'. Obviously you only get a snippet of the story, but the interviewer asked 'but homebirth isn't illegal' and the interviewee answered something like 'it is if you lose a baby'.

DH and I both looked at each other and went that can't be right?? We had an unplanned homebirth with DS2, but I would definitely plan a homebirth with any future bubs. Can anyone shed any light on homebirths becoming illegal if a baby is lost at birth? I get the feeling there is probably much more to the story (of course), but the promo has got me curious.
    I don't believe so (though have no idea really). It could become a legal issue if someone tries to sue someone...no idea.

Its such a shame the only time homebirth is in the media is because of something negative like this. It leads to a whole lot of misconceptions about homebirth.

I'm having a homebirth...and my midwife even said this week (we were talking about NT scans & things going wrong on a genetic level) and the fact is, babies die. Its horrible but sometimes completely unpreventable.

It justs sounds like they are scouting for viewers.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Mathermy  (14-07-2013),MilkingMaid  (14-07-2013),risfaerie  (13-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    BlotchedTabby - I thought the same thing when I saw the promo - the only time homebirth is in the media is when it's a negative story I thought another interviewee said her baby was taken as 'evidence'.

I know lots of hubbers have done heaps of research into homebirths and thought maybe this legality side of it was something someone had come across.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    There are so many positive things about homebirth...its a real shame they don't make the news.

I have done a lot of reading since deciding I was interested in homebirth. I know the AMA say that women should have 'choices' but they also say that they (AMA) believe homebirth to be unsafe (or less safe?). But they don't say anything about legality. They also include unplanned homebirth...which is actually quite different and much more risky than planned homebirth.

I also know midwives can't get insurance...but also the government have given them an exemption until 2015 (where either insurance will be available or they'll get another exemption I imagine).

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its probably just a load of ship, I wouldn't look to channel 7 for any form of quality information, what they do is so very far from proper journalism.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaenerysT For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (13-07-2013),giggle berry  (13-07-2013),~Marigold~  (16-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If a baby dies at home during a home birth yes it is Evidence. Especially is there is no one present like a doctor to sign off the death.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wigglemum For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (13-07-2013),Lauzy83  (14-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DaenerysT View Post
    Its probably just a load of ship, I wouldn't look to channel 7 for any form of quality information, what they do is so very far from proper journalism.
    You are probably very right - they have me sucked in though - I'm going to have to watch it now to see exactly what they're on about!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, homebirths themselves are not illegal if a baby dies, however court cases can, and do, happen if a baby dies in a homebirth if there is the potential to prove that the baby would have lived if born in a hospital. Or if there is evidence to support the mother was acting dangerously (ie no care provider, high risk birth etc).

It can be a bit of a grey area, but generally, if you have a registered midwife, you have nothing to be concerned about

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (13-07-2013),bigbum  (14-07-2013),DarcyJ  (14-07-2013),snowqu33n  (13-07-2013)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    So sad the Australian medical profession seem to view home birth in such light. I was watching midwives on abc2 on wed night and they were saying that they would prefer if a lot more women would choose home birth as its cheaper on the system and more comfortable for the mother, plus a whole lot more benefits. Why can't Australia have a system like that?

Either way, I agree with a pp that it is just sensationalist media trying to get an audience..

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (13-07-2013),Mathermy  (14-07-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (14-07-2013)