+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default what was your birth experience at Ipswich public hospital like???

last time around I had my dd at mater mothers, it was ok I had no issues but it wasn't fantastic so thought maybe I'd go with Ipswich this time (I'm smack bang in the middle of both) I ideally wanted to birth at the rbwh birthing centre but I don't think I'm in the catchment area. does Ipswich offer anything similar to this??? any info, pros, cons etc for Ipswich much appreciated!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had DS1 at Ipswich as a public patient - I was part of the Midwifery Group Practice, so only had my primary midwife at the birth and it was a fantastic experience. It was a very straight forward drug free birth so we were sent home 4 hours after the birth (they have an early discharge policy if all has gone well and you're happy to go home). This suited me perfectly as I was much more comfortable being at home, and my middy came to the house to visit and do check-ups etc.

The MGP fills up very quickly, so if that's something you would be interested in you would have to get in pretty early. Not sure if it's an option, but there is also a private midwifery group (My Midwives) in Ipswich who can deliver at the public hospital - I went with them with DS2 (had an unplanned homebirth) and would choose them as my care providers for any future births - they were fantastic. Being private they have their own fees, though some is rebated by medicare/ PHI.

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have had 3 bubs at Ipswich, all pleasant experiences, nothing too dramatic. No real complaints from me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would recommend the Midwifery Group Practice and if you can't get in with them, then My Midwives.

Ipswich has changed their antenatal care so that you can no longer see a midwife during their pregnancy (apart from the MGP which has its own restrictions on being under 18 and/or indigenous). You have to see your GP unless you're considered high risk enough to see the obstetric doctors at the hospital's antenatal clinic. The GP Superclinic at the uni has started an antenatal clinic in collaboration with the Midwifery degree lecturers from UQ and do a clinic staffed by the uni's student midwives and their midwifery lecturers (who are registered midwives) once a week, which is the closest to midwifery care that you will get.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So far have had great experiences with Ipswich, after a scare at beginning of pregnancy which the doctors and midwives were fantastic I had my first antenatal appointment with them a few weeks ago and the midwife was great so sweet and informative (hubby came in and im sure she said vagina a million times just to gross him out lmao), she gave me the option to see them for all my antenatal apps or could use GP for shared care, I am going with my GP due to the travel having to get to hospital , i am not with any midwife group, i have my next app with the hospital on wednesday then all apps from then on are with GP only until my scan at 36 weeks i think she said. I would of preferred Mater for my first bub but like you i am smack bang in the middle and they wouldn't accept my referral, but after the experience i have had with Ipswich so far i have to say I am happy they did reject it now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fairy82 For This Useful Post:

melimum  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently had my daughter at Ipswich hospital (22 may).

They were great throughout the pregnancy, dd was breech and I had two ecvs which were unsuccessful but the staff were lovely. The birthing suites are amazing I was jealous I didn't get to use one because I had a c section.

I had blood pressure issues and was admitted late in my pregnancy, again the staff were lovely.

The midwife I had for my c section was really amazing and supportive and backed my decisions (such as trying to get my birth photographer into theatre with me - was unsuccessful but she really pushed it for me).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mrstuilawa For This Useful Post:

melimum  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the feedback ladies. I still don't know what I should do?? Does anyone know if they offer the option to have a water birth??

Mrst- congrats! I've seen some photos of ur dd in other threads she is so adorable!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I found no issues with the hospital itself.

I was induced at 10 days over. Nothing happened. Induced again day 11 past EDD. Nothing happened. Induced again 12 days past EDD. Again, no result. They checked to see if my waters could be broken but I wasn't dilated enough, so I was given a caesarean at 14 days past EDD (I got to spend night 13 at my home... the previous nights since induction were in hospital).

The caesarean went as planned. I was given a student nurse/midwife to attend to me after the birth. She was incredible and made everything so much better. Seriously, she was there all the time, I wonder if she ever went home. lol. She organised for me to see a lactation consultant when BFing was difficult (DD kept falling asleep 2 sucks in - every single feed) and taught me how to bath her etc... she helped me shower. She was just an angel.

I stayed in hospital from Mon (c-sec day) to Friday lunchtime (I asked to go home at this point).

Everything was smooth sailing and apart from disliking hospital food I found my experience perhaps the best hospital experience I've had, despite it being the result of surgery I absolutely did not want to have and sharing a room (2 beds, 1 room).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

melimum  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aw thanks melimum!

They most certainly do offer water births. The birthing suites have the most amazing huge corner baths, I was really upset I didn't get to use one LOL

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mrstuilawa For This Useful Post:

melimum  (21-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by melimum View Post
    Thanks for the feedback ladies. I still don't know what I should do?? Does anyone know if they offer the option to have a water birth??

Mrst- congrats! I've seen some photos of ur dd in other threads she is so adorable!

I believe you have to be going through the midwifery group practice to have one

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

melimum  (21-07-2013)