+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I have had 2 c sections. One as a private patient at public hospital and one in the private hospital. Both times my husband was with me through out (though at the public hospital they wouldn't let him be with me while they did the spinal/epi). Once baby was checked over (which only took a few minutes) he was placed on my chest while the surgery was finished. When they moved me to recovery my hubby held bub and once we were there I had bub back on me. Hubby was by my side the whole time.

My recovery first time round was harder as I had a PPH and required several blood transfusions. I wasn't allowed out of bed for a few days which made it more painful getting up the first time. Second time round I was up out of bed the next day and made sure to move often. It was a much quicker recovery and within 3 weeks I was back to all my normal duties including driving and lifting my toddler.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was separated from DP and DS for about an hour while I was getting stitched up, etc. I didn't think to discuss it with my ob before hand, I definitely will this time so it can be accommodated if possible. My DP was with me the whole time including epidural, however he went with DS afterward.
    Providing there are no complications it really is best to try and get moving as soon as you can. It does help in terms of recovery time and mobility.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well I had an emergency c-section and my husband didn't make it on time from work to be with me in theatre.

I didn't get to hold my baby until I left recovery, which was 3 hours after she was born. Even if she didn't need to be checked, I wouldn't have been able to lift my arms. She didn't come to recovery with me, but spent the time with my husband as he had just arrived when she was being wheeled out.
    That must have been very hard.

I've had 2 c-sections in the public system, both unplanned & had DH and the baby with me the whole time. It depends on the hospital & how busy they are - if they can spare a midwife to stay with you in recovery they usually will. If they are having a really busy day they may not be able to spare one so you may be separated for a few hours while you are in recovery.

It might be different for private especially with a planned c-section - surely you can request/demand a midwife be present since you're paying for it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh should add that they do separate you from your partner while you have the anesthetic done but then your partner meets you in theatre. Not sure why?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpybump View Post
    Oh should add that they do separate you from your partner while you have the anesthetic done but then your partner meets you in theatre. Not sure why?
    I've had 2 csections and both times my hubby was with me while they were doing the anaesthetic!

It must vary hospital to hospital

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl86 View Post
    Thanks for your reply! Basically I just want to be able to share it all with my husband and not be on my own without him or bub! I am not too worried about the actual surgery part, as I have had surgeries before and know I am in great hands with my OB, it's more what happens after the surgery like I said! How have you gone with your recovery post surgery?
    I would say every hospital is slightly different but talk with your OB and let them know what you want that way if the hospital policy doesn't allow something it's better to know up front then find out then and there. My DH was there when I had my spinal and everything. The only time I was separated from him and bub was for about 10 mins when they stitched me up. The recovery was a little harder than I thought, but I've never had surgery before. In saying that two weeks after I was taking DD for walks by myself and I was back driving after three weeks. Just make sure you don't overdo it in those first few weeks. I found getting in and out of bed the hardest! Make sure you get them to show you the best way to get up while you're in hospital. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl86 View Post
    So we think I will be needing a Caesarian due to some issues, but I am freaking out about it!! Mainly will I still get to hold my baby as soon as he/she is born and will my husband and baby be able to come to recovery with me?? I am terrified of being separated and I want that special time with us as a new family (this is our first baby). I am having bub at a private hospital in Adelaide to hoping they can cater to my wishes! Any advice of what happened to you would be great!
    What hospital? I haven't read it all. My friends had there baby at ashford and all hubbies or family got to go in the room! (To see all the action happening lol) I had my baby public at flinders public via c section and df came into theatre.

To be honest recovery is different for everyone- we all recovery differently on so many levels I was fine, moving furniture out of the house, dtd, felt fine within a week or two others struggled until 6 weeks. I got up straight away and made sure I stayed on top of my pain relief for first 3 days in hospital, took laxatives as I didn't want it to hurt when I did my first poop lol. I didn't get to hold my baby as she had to goto neo Nates so I got some contact then she was taken away immediately. It was all foggy! But I don't mind as she was safe, all that matters to me good luck! X

Fat fingers typed this

9. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

farmgirl86  (14-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    What hospital? I haven't read it all. My friends had there baby at ashford and all hubbies or family got to go in the room! (To see all the action happening lol) I had my baby public at flinders public via c section and df came into theatre.

To be honest recovery is different for everyone- we all recovery differently on so many levels I was fine, moving furniture out of the house, dtd, felt fine within a week or two others struggled until 6 weeks. I got up straight away and made sure I stayed on top of my pain relief for first 3 days in hospital, took laxatives as I didn't want it to hurt when I did my first poop lol. I didn't get to hold my baby as she had to goto neo Nates so I got some contact then she was taken away immediately. It was all foggy! But I don't mind as she was safe, all that matters to me good luck! X

Fat fingers typed this
    Hi, yes we are going to Ashford! Thanks everyone for their replies has made me feel much more at ease. I am quite a shy person and timid at speaking up as to what I want but I will make sure I advocate what I want to happen during the Caesarian to make sure I am happy!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a planned c/s 13 months ago. As others have suggested, it must vary from hospital to hospital because I was separated from DH for the spinal, he joined us in the operating room and then was not allowed into recovery. I was told by my midwife that they were in the process of changing the hospital policy, but unfortunately it didnt happen quickly enough for us.

I was able to have bub placed on my chest for a few minutes straight after he was born (wrapped - I think a pp mentioned that they were disappointed about not getting skin to skin straight away but I was told that the operating rooms are kept at a cold temp to keep them sterile and so the babies need to be wrapped and removed after a few minutes otherwise they can get too cold). I couldnt cuddle him because I was told not to move my arms with all the machines attached to them but he was lying right there in front of my face After about 10 minutes, bub and DH were taken from the operating room and bub was returned to me for the first feed once I was in recovery. I didnt see DH again until I was up in the ward, but I wasnt in recovery very long (about half an hour).