+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Want to study

Hi all.

Haven't been on bub hub in a while, but I'd like to ask a question.
    I would like to study midwifery next year, but with large debt, my partners income isn't enough on its own even though he earns a nice amount.
    I currently work 15-20 hours a week in admin.
    How do others do it? I'd probably have to find a new job with flexible hours as my job is set days, and I don't know what the uni timetable will be like (as well as placement.)
    So any tips, or would anyone like to share how they manage?
    My son is 15 months old & we would also like to have another in the next two years (finding time for personal study isn't my issue, it's the contact hours that is my main problem)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I am currently studying nursing part-time with the intention of entering into midwifery too. I have a 19 month old and am pregnant with my second. Attending all your lectures may be difficult but most unis have them all recorded so you can watch them at home when you have time. I have found that by doing it part time is easier for me as I won't have any placement until my second year, so the kids will be older and it will be easier to be away for long periods, studying part time may suit you as well cause you won't have to do any placement the first year and you may be better off financially in a year or so to be able to do it. I am only able to study the first year part time though so will be full time from my 3rd year, not sure if that is same with midwifery

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd like to know too! I'm also thinking of studying next year and I will prob need to work about 1 day too, to offset childcare costs. I am lucky that I have some freelance work I could hopefully pick up again (can be done eves), but if not then it will be v tricky. Perhaps ppl who have a casual role at a big organisation are able to change their days around as contact days at uni change, or if you are self-employed it might be possible. But lots of ppl would sturggle I'd imagine. Is there any agency work in the same field you could pick up?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's interesting about lectures being recorded to watch later. So that's accepted now and again rather than physically attending, even in a non-distance ed course? That would really help things when bubs is sick...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing as I would love to go back to studying but don't know how realistic it is, as we are unable to live off one income.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Starlight, we are unable to live off one income too. I know lectures you don't have to attend, but tutorials you definitely do. I am thinking if I get in I'd quit my job and try to find a job in retail where I can change my hours/choose shifts that work etc, but I want to have time for my family too!!
    Midwifery you can do part time the first year, but from there you have to do full time because of placements etc.
    I want to apply I just don't want to have to pull out because we aren't coping financially!! so tough!
    I'm not entitled to anything from centrelink either other than ftb a and b because my partner earns too much, but it's not all in our pocket because we have a lot of debt

Thanks
    Reviews
    I currently study 2 subjects that each have 2 weekly lectures and then each one has an in class workshop, out of that I am only graded on attendance for one of the workshops which lasts for 2 hrs, I get a grade of 2.5 for each one I attend so total marks for attendance for the 10 weeks is 25. It's a really easy mark to get which helps a lot towards the overall result, however if I had to miss a few it wouldn't be that big a deal, so technically I could not attend anything on campus and it wouldn't matter, as long as I was doing everything at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimberly View Post
    I currently study 2 subjects that each have 2 weekly lectures and then each one has an in class workshop, out of that I am only graded on attendance for one of the workshops which lasts for 2 hrs, I get a grade of 2.5 for each one I attend so total marks for attendance for the 10 weeks is 25. It's a really easy mark to get which helps a lot towards the overall result, however if I had to miss a few it wouldn't be that big a deal, so technically I could not attend anything on campus and it wouldn't matter, as long as I was doing everything at home.
    Thanks for that! I'd hope my course was the same, but I have a few friends (who study something entirely different) and say they had to have 100% attendance in their tutorials! I don't know how accurate that would be for my course. So difficult! Next step is also actually getting in! haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update for anyone interested!
    We crunched some numbers last night & although it'll be tight, and with a lot of budgeting, we can do it with me not working/working minimal hours!
    I can't wait for August 5th to roll around so I can apply! I'm so excited - I just REALLY want to get in now!
    anyone know what my chances are of getting in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great news mamasurfs! I hope your application is successful! Have you done any courses before or did you get an OP/rank? I believe they will use this first when looking at applicants? I think I should sit down and crunch some numbers too. I don't want to keep doing what I'm doing now and I'm getting old quickly (well it feels like it). So it's now or never. Good luck with everything!