We had an amnio after getting a 1:35 risk from our nuchal scan. It wasn't pleasant but was bearable and we had initial FISH results the next night and full results a week and a half later. It was a long couple of weeks between the nuchal scan and the amnio but if I was faced with the same decision I'd make the same choices all over again. It is hard not to worry when you get bad results and I felt like our lives were on hold until we got results but we were able to relax a bit more once they were in. I hope your results come back quickly and are the results you want. If you are proceeding with the pregnancy regardless then I agree with other responses in that you'll have time to research, prepare and adjust.
We decided before the nuchal scan that we would have an amnio if the risk came back at more than 1:500 for any of the 3 trisomies, a personal decision we talked through with our ob as we did not want to proceed with the pregnancy if our baby had an identified trisomy. As a nurse and mum of other children I was aware of what it would take, I know there are amazing people out there who do a wonderful job raising children with trisomy 21 and put a lot of time and effort into ensuring their children have quality, enriched lives but it wasn't something we wanted to embark on, especially with other children to think about . It would have been a heartbreaking decision of it had come to that, please don't think I'm saying it would be easy.
The decision whether to have testing and what to do with the results has to be yours and your partners, I would recommend doing lots of research, talk to people who are parenting children and adults with Down syndrome and get a well rounded opinion before making a decision.
In response to the post about why nuchal testing is still done I would like to say that it is a personal choice to do it and is not compulsory. I'd hate to think that testing would no longer be offered and that I wouldn't have a choice to test and decide for ourselves whether to continue because others wouldn't make the same decision as I would. I felt judged reading that response and would not like anyone else to feel the same way.
There's also other benefits to nuchal testing such as the information on Papp-a levels, I am grateful we went through the whole process as we found out at 20 weeks that our baby has IUGR, the low Papp-a result and the knowledge that there are no chromosomal abnormalities have been an integral part of planning pregnancy care and management and timing of delivery, something a lot of people don't realise. Had we not had an amnio at 14 weeks we would have been encouraged to have one at 20 weeks. Our journey has been stressful enough already and I am grateful there was one less thing to worry about.
Good luck with your amnio and I will keep everything crossed for great results for you. If the results aren't what you hope then I know you will find lots of support on here for whatever you decide.