+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We had an amnio after getting a 1:35 risk from our nuchal scan. It wasn't pleasant but was bearable and we had initial FISH results the next night and full results a week and a half later. It was a long couple of weeks between the nuchal scan and the amnio but if I was faced with the same decision I'd make the same choices all over again. It is hard not to worry when you get bad results and I felt like our lives were on hold until we got results but we were able to relax a bit more once they were in. I hope your results come back quickly and are the results you want. If you are proceeding with the pregnancy regardless then I agree with other responses in that you'll have time to research, prepare and adjust.

We decided before the nuchal scan that we would have an amnio if the risk came back at more than 1:500 for any of the 3 trisomies, a personal decision we talked through with our ob as we did not want to proceed with the pregnancy if our baby had an identified trisomy. As a nurse and mum of other children I was aware of what it would take, I know there are amazing people out there who do a wonderful job raising children with trisomy 21 and put a lot of time and effort into ensuring their children have quality, enriched lives but it wasn't something we wanted to embark on, especially with other children to think about . It would have been a heartbreaking decision of it had come to that, please don't think I'm saying it would be easy.

The decision whether to have testing and what to do with the results has to be yours and your partners, I would recommend doing lots of research, talk to people who are parenting children and adults with Down syndrome and get a well rounded opinion before making a decision.

In response to the post about why nuchal testing is still done I would like to say that it is a personal choice to do it and is not compulsory. I'd hate to think that testing would no longer be offered and that I wouldn't have a choice to test and decide for ourselves whether to continue because others wouldn't make the same decision as I would. I felt judged reading that response and would not like anyone else to feel the same way.

There's also other benefits to nuchal testing such as the information on Papp-a levels, I am grateful we went through the whole process as we found out at 20 weeks that our baby has IUGR, the low Papp-a result and the knowledge that there are no chromosomal abnormalities have been an integral part of planning pregnancy care and management and timing of delivery, something a lot of people don't realise. Had we not had an amnio at 14 weeks we would have been encouraged to have one at 20 weeks. Our journey has been stressful enough already and I am grateful there was one less thing to worry about.

Good luck with your amnio and I will keep everything crossed for great results for you. If the results aren't what you hope then I know you will find lots of support on here for whatever you decide.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to workingmumma For This Useful Post:

Lisa80  (16-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Januaryblueberry,

I'm assuming your having your amnio today and just wanted to wish you all the very best!

I had my amnio yesterday so waiting now for the FISH results. I'm 35 and pg with surprise number three!! I had no dramas with my last two pregnancies and just expected the same easy pregnancy this time around. It was quite a shock to get a 1:89 risk for DS. The doctor said it was my age pushing it into a higher risk category and both he and my OB weren't overly concerned. It was my choice to have the amnio - I really couldn't spend my whole pregnancy stressing out.
    My 12 week results were:
    NT 2mm
    HCG 0.6
    PAPP-a 0.4
    I had the scan at 11wk 6days, however by my dating scan (and knowing I ov'd 4-5 days late) I was actually 11wks 2days. The sonographer used my LMP date during the scan. I can't help but wonder if that affected my results? Because I don't have your 'typical' DS blood results with a high HCG with a low PAPP-a. Anyway, it's been 24 hours already so hopefully I will have my results by this time tomorrow. It's just an agonizing wait!
    xx

4. The Following User Says Thank You to EsDee For This Useful Post:

workingmumma  (16-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Please let us know how you both go x

Two girls, one dream and baby you are it!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbowbabe For This Useful Post:

EsDee  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies,

Had the amnio yesterday, just been resting and should have the prelim results soon. EsDee - how are you going after your procedure? I feel very anxious that im going to mc.... Everytime i cough or sneeze i get cramps and it freaks me out... Checking undies and toilet paper frequently! Are you the same? Or am i just being overly paranoid?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JanuaryBlueberry For This Useful Post:

EsDee  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    JanuaryBlueberry - I was the same after having my amnio, despite the reassurance of the fetal medicine dr who did the amnio. It took me a week or two to feel like I could comfortably move again with being scared. I hope they are quick with your results as i know the wait is agonising. I remember sitting on the couch watching the phone. Thinking of you both and keeping everything crossed for great results for both of you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to workingmumma For This Useful Post:

EsDee  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well my initial results came back all clear late yesterday arvo - and I am so relieved!! I spent all of yesterday in bed as every time I move I started lightly cramping. But now some of the stress has been lifted I'm actually feeling much better! Oh and we are team blue!!

Got my fingers crossed for you today JanuaryBlueberry. Take it easy too xx
    Last edited by EsDee; 17-07-2013 at 09:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EsDee View Post
    Well my initial results came back all clear late yesterday arvo - and I am so relieved!! I spent all of yesterday in bed as every time I move I started lightly cramping. But now some of the stress has been lifted I'm actually feeling much better! Oh and we are team blue!!

Got my fingers crossed for you today JanuaryBlueberry. Take it easy too xx
    Yay EsDee!!! Thats great news😄. Im watching the whole 5th season of breaking bad today, having the laziest day and loving it!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JanuaryBlueberry For This Useful Post:

EsDee  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone, Hope you don't mind me joining in. I'm currently waiting on results from the new maternal blood test that gets sent to America after being given a 1:2 chance of our baby having trisomy 21. Our 1st trimester ultrasound was perfect, but my PAPP-A is incredibly low which has made the risk so high. We won't get any results for 10 working days, so the wait is absolutely killing me. So glad to hear a happy outcome for you EsDee, and congrats on your baby boy! Hope you have some great news to share soon too JanuaryBlueberry! xx

15. The Following User Says Thank You to emilylouise For This Useful Post:

EsDee  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Got our prelim results back last night and everything looks clear so far😄 very relieved!! And excited too..... Another suprise is what we thought was a lil princess is actualyy a lil stud😄

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JanuaryBlueberry For This Useful Post:

babycake  (18-07-2013),EsDee  (19-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad you got the outcomes you were hoping for, and congratulations again and enjoy your pregnancy!