+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default C-sect under general

Currently 34+4days and in threatened preterm labour. At this stage my hospy doesn't give steroids or stop labour. I'm booked in for a repeat scheduled and if labour establishes will be going for a c-sect. Have been spoken to about rupture risk as I have now been having full on contractions for 2days, so any signs of that then off for a section under general most likely. Tell me your general stories, the bad bits, but please tell me there are good bits too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there a reason why it would be under a GA and not an epi or spinal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Under spinal or epi if its me simply going into established labour, but potentially a general if I rupture.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a cs under a general because of placental abruption, it all happened very very quickly. Here's some "highlights"

- the catheter was inserted before I was under, although any discomfort was masked by the pain of the abruption
    - the GA going in to my hand hurt like hell and I immediately felt like I was badly choking, the anaesthetist warned me of both just before he did it, I was then out pretty quickly
    - I was very groggy when I woke up, and it took a while to properly wake up and be alert
    - I had a self administering pain management pump connected to my hand IV for the first 24 hours or so
    - I had my cs at 7pm and was up at 10am the next morning, obviously there is no issue about getting feeling back in your legs and if it wasn't for the rough night I'd had I probably would have been up sooner to visit my DD
    - I spewed throughout the night because I'd eaten before the GA, obviously if its unexpected its not something you can plan for

Feel free to ask me any questions, hope that was the sort of stuff you were looking for

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was planning on a vaginal birth and had an epi which led to bubs heart rate dropping so they rushed me off for a c-section under GA. I'm squeamish so I'm pretty glad I was fully knocked out for it, being awake while someone digs around in my tummy and sews me up freaks me out a bit.
    They stuffed up and put medication for low blood pressure (which I didn't have) into my epi on the way into theatre, and while I didn't feel any effects of it, it meant I had to stay in recovery for 3 hours. I was really groggy and even when I met bub I was really out of it. In fact, I was really groggy until I went home 2 days later and got a proper nights sleep.

Good luck :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! How was the moment you met your baby? Do you think you have been better prepared if you knew it was potentially going to be a general?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't get to meet my son until he was over 12 hours old. My milk supply never came in. He's 7 weeks old now and I feel like I missed out on so much. The hospital went against my wishes and gave him formula because my mother said they could...

If you do end up having a GA please make sure the hospital knows your wishes, and make sure a support person does too. The upside was that you didn't have to feel everything going on inside you. Also make sure someone takes lots of photos for you.

Hope it all goes well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The moment I met my baby was very traumatic for me because she was only 635g, I was still in shock and it was all very overwhelming.

I'm not sure if I could have been better prepared for the GA.. In some ways there less items to prepare for, no epidural etc.

My milk came in well with lots and lots of expressing. I think there's other factors that can affect that, not necessarily the GA.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had a traumatic cs which ended in GA. it took me a very long time to accept i wasn't awake while he was born. And i woke up in an insane unmeasurable amount of pain all of which added to my trauma.

Cancu have an appt with an anaesthetist to discuss exactly what will happen. How it will happen and pain management afterwards? Mention abdominal tap blockers as an option for pain relief on top of the drip/button controlled pain meds

Braiiiiins
    *60kilos lost*

Thanks
    Reviews
    You poor thing!! good on you for seeking information and preparing yourself for every eventuality.

Condolences to the other posters who have had not so good experiences.

Just for the record, I had a CS under a general anaesthetic and it was all good. No problems with bonding or supply/breastfeeding.

All in all it was a psitive experience for me.

Best of luck!