+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Meltdowns in an 11month old - do they happen in your house?

11 month old DS has me worried with his meltdowns. He has one every day in the high chair when it comes to eating, throws food and snatches at the spoon while screaming if I try to feed him, has a meltdown when we put him in his car seat/pram/high chair etc, a meltdown whenever we sit down for a coffee down the street, a meltdown when getting his nappy changed and when getting dressed. I wouldn't say he does it every time but at least once per day and sometimes many times (much worse when tired). My sister's children don't carry on like this at all. Am I alone in this? Does this behaviour ring any alarm bells for ASD or SPD? He's fairly smiley and interactive between his dummy-spits. The thought of this as a toddler tantrum is a bit terrifying!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD was a "early" tantrum chucker . At 11mths she was throwing herself on the floor and banging her head on the floor, if whatever she was doing/wanted wasn't she wanted to do! She is not on the spectrum what-so-ever. i have no idea if early tantrums are an indication of a spectrum disorder, but my DD is fine. My younger 2 DS's didnt do it at all...

Thanks
    Reviews
    He does the throwing himself on the floor and head banging too, just arches and throws himself over backwards. Has your DD continued to chuck mega tantrums as a toddler?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CountryGirl77 For This Useful Post:

moosey  (11-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep tantrums here too! Especially when it comes to food!

I have zero concern about him being on the spectrum. It's totally normal as far as I can see. He is totally happy and smiley the rest of the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is exactly the same. I think it's an age thing. I think they are trying to communicate and getting frustrated. Every single thing you mentioned is happening in my house!!! Not exactly sure what we are to do but hopefully they will grow out of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tantrums are not fun. Especially when they start early. I think its totally normal for some children. My 17 mo dd started wild meltdowns very early & she is still a lil fire cracker now. Although its becoming easier for me to difuse as she is learning to communicate. None of her lil friends have tantrums to the extent she does. My youngest sister was exactly the same as a baby and she was a perfectly normal child & now adult. Just very independent & head strong.
    A health nurse suggested i use distractions when she's in a mood and this has worked a treat!
    Last edited by Missabubble; 11-07-2013 at 21:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup tanties here too turned 1 yesterday but started about 3 wks ago I'm not sure if its milestone related or not but they started when he started walking but have continued ever since he has them eating, getting dressed, nappy change, if I move more than a foot away from him the list is endless! Yeah it's not fun but I think it's totally normal lets pray it won't last

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm relieved to hear that this is not uncommon! However, how on earth should these tanties be dealt with?! If he's having a meltdown in the high chair and I want to ignore it (and not reward him for the tantrum by getting him out), he might end up in there all night!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryGirl77 View Post
    He does the throwing himself on the floor and head banging too, just arches and throws himself over backwards. Has your DD continued to chuck mega tantrums as a toddler?
    Umm, yes, I'm afraid she was a royal tantie chucker until she was about 2.5. TBH, I don't think ignoring in such a young bubba really works. They are usually tantruming because they are frustrated they can't be understood. I found distraction to be the key. I also found that after a little while of tantruming she also sort of "forgot" what it was all about and just needed a big cuddle to settle down as she was so overwrought. If he is tantrumming in his chair, maybe try taking him out, carrying him out into the garden or something for a moment to settle down, then start again with dinner? Let him self feed, if that is what the problem is. My DD always wanted to be very independent with that sort of thing, andI'd rather the mess than the screaming match!

As she got older ignoring worked better, but also providing options for her to choose was a successful technique.

Good Luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Match box cars to play with on the change table (small enough to be kept out of a pooey nappy).
    Finger food for the high chair.
    Tickle his belly when he arches his back when you try to put him into the car seat or stroller.

And yes, its completely normal!

DH (early 30s) + me (29 + several months)
    DS (IVF #3) born 21/4/12 by emergency c-section
    Both tubes removed after (natural) ectopic PG on 27/5/13