+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Some are just late talkers. If you rule out anything medical being the cause, you could try speech therapy. My DS was a late talker, we went when he was around 2 for 6 months and it made a huge difference. Now at nearly 4, he is still a little behind compared to his friends, but not that far and you can't shut him up!

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just to put it out there; there are language problems like expressive language disorder which have nothing to do with a lack of comprehension.

Also. Non verbal Children with autism do understand things. And my boys are very very affectionate and loving. Autism doesnt = invalid

Braiiiiins
    Last edited by Zombie_eyes; 29-07-2013 at 16:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks zombie eyes!
    I was just going by the (very little) research I found :-)
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 29-07-2013 at 19:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All 3of mine had to go to speech therapy. All I can say is early intervention is great. 1st didn't start till 4 years(waiting lists) and we spent 2 years trying to get her to 'unlearn' speech she had. Younger two started at 24months(ds) and 12 months dd2 and got help as age needed. My second didn't talk much at all till speech. Put my mind at ease with the help. Also great to know what your child should be doing and the stages. I would get child assessed. And as Diamond eyes says dont be scared of Dx .....this parenting gig is a challenge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dammit Misch forgot you are now zombie eyes...oops.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I recently took DS to the 18 month old mchn appt. they like to see 5 - 10 words by around 18 months.

My ds didn't have 5, but then a couple of days later he came out with a few new words. The mchn booked another appt for us in 3 months to see how he is going then, but she wasn't too worried.

Do you have a mchn or local gp? it is worth putting your name down for a speech therapy and hearing assessment if you are still concerned, cos they can take awhile to happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have nurse appointment 1 week after the paediatrician.

Will the paed help me arrange speech therapy if it's needed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    They should be able to. You usually need a referral, and there will be a waiting lost, but my GP organised mine, so a Paed should be able to as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, GP, Paed or nurse can. Is your Paed local? You want to get a referral to your local service and if they are not local they may not know what you have near you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you look at my topics my DS1 was not saying anything. We had his ears checked he had glue ear in both ears. He never had ear infections but he always had a runny nose since starting daycare which helped block his ears. He couldn't hear properly. He had to have grommets inserted. His speech has improved so much.

There is no point on speech therapy if he can't hear so I would check that first.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app