+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    My DS had a profound speech delay. I don't think he was saying anything at that age either. I'd probably hang in therefore another couple of months and see if there is any change. If not then get his hearing tested. From memory we needed a GP referral but I could be wrong.

I didn't start speech therapy with DS until he was about 3 years 2 months. I wish we had started sooner but I thought it might just improve by itself. 3 years later and with heaps and heaps of speech therapy he is much improved but still about 18 months behind everyone else his age.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (29-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks all.
    I'll be seeing my nurse next month and see what she thinks too.

He does babble "ya ya"

That is grandmother in Greek, isn't it?!

Dh thinks he may have copied ds1 and said "da da" earlier today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tastychicken View Post
    take him to be assessed today if possible. therapy needs to be utilised as soon as possible
    Ha ha very funny.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD hardly said anything at that age. She's 23mo now and still doesn't have close to the amount of words most other kids her age have. But her comprehension is very good and she's a naturally shy kid so I think she's actually capable of talking a lot more than she does.

Lately she's been picking up more and more words, so I'm sure she'll catch up soon enough.

I think motivation has a lot to do with it, it's funny how quickly she picked up 'please' when we started asking her to say it to get certain snacks she desperately wanted!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

ThirdTimeLucky  (13-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Something to be aware of is that in some areas waiting lists for speech therapy can be long, ie 6 - 12 months.

So even if you are not overly worried now , if you wait 6 months to refer it could be another 6 months from then before you get seen.

Or you get a referral now and if by the time you are offered an appointment you no longer have any concerns then you can just say the appointment is no longer needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Spotty, I'll consider that too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I stressed about it a bit too when my DD was about that age, 18 months or so, and didn't say a word - at least none I could understand! All the websites etc bang on about x amount of words by x months old like it's a formula that fits every single kid ever. Now at 27 months she speaks in full sentences and adds new words and expressions every day, it's so cool.
    It sounds like he is interacting well with his environment, his parents and sibbie, maybe he just doesn't feel the need for words yet.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

ThirdTimeLucky  (13-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    While you're on the waiting list for speech therapy, you could take him for an audiology check. It might be good to know his ears are OK before starting speech therapy anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS is 22 months and only has a few words. I'm not overly concerned but the mchn referred him for speech assessment. He's having that on the 23rd of this month but if he does need therapy it will be a 9 month wait.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im still a little worried as he approaches 18m, I booked a paediatrician for just after his 18m 'bday'
    What is the worst case scenario?
    He is communicating in other ways and understand basic instructions (and is affectionate and smiles).
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 29-07-2013 at 18:59.