+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Newly divorced, with three toddler.. unsure about what to expect from centrelink, etc

Well.. we're divorced after being together 6 years (highschool sweethearts, yeh right..) We have three children, 4, almost 3, and almost 2.
    I have been on parenting payment and FTB, as he is a suffering veteran who has been depressed and suffering PTS and therefore not doing much of anything.. but as we had a joint bank account and everything was in his name, he was receiving all of the payments on my behalf, I guess?
    So what will happen, what will the process be, when we approach centrelink and say.. we're divorced... he's no longer living here... what now?
    Granted he did move out 4 months ago but we havent said anything yet to centrelink because we KNOW we're likely in for a big.. big... headache...
    Or should we just keep things as they are with centrelink and not do anything at all?
    I dont want to do mountains of paper work, have to explain myself over, and over, and over.. risk getting "cutt off"..
    Sorry if this is all stupid and I have no idea, but... this is all so new and foreign to me.
    At the end of the day, I dont want my kids to suffer because of centrelink and money. That's it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm so sorry to hear this it's a hard situation and I know you don't want your kids to suffer but you'll have to tell Centrelink eventually, whether it's now, in a year, 5 years. I'd do it sooner rather than later. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you.. and yes, we are going to asap, I just want to know what to expect, whether I'd get a lot less, because they expect him to pay child support, or what the consequences would be if he didnt, etc.. its all a big headache.. as it is, I dont want anything from him, I just want to be left alone with my kids :/
    He did nothing but neglect them while he was in our life, and living with us, and now he's not he's trying to be a "suffering dad".. I hate that nonsense.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There is no harm in ringing CLink and asking them about things just so you can get a bit of a handle on it all before you have to go in there and do it all officially. Get as much info as you can now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even if they were going into his account if they were paying them off your entitlements, i dont think it considered him getting them on your behalf. I would imagine it would be as simple as changing the bank account and having your centrelink payments go into your personal account. Although I am not sure???

As PP said eventually they will need to know so you are getting the correct entitlements.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you have been getting Partnered Parenting Payments you would move to single PP and would probably receive more. For 1 child I get about $685pp f/n and then you would get FTBa & b and rent assistance if you qualify. XDH will need to pay CS if working. Before you go in make sure you have a bank account in just your name to tell them where the payments should go. It's always a hassle going in there but you'll feel better once it's all sorted and you know exactly what you'll be getting.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (18-07-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi MoonOfMars,

My name is Gigi and I work for the Department of Human Services in a team that responds to questions on social media sites such as this one.

Sorry to hear you're going through a tough time, but it is important that you tell us if your circumstances change. Keeping us up to date means we can assess you correctly. Some changes you need to tell us about:

• personal and contact details
    • bank details
    • relationship status
    • care arrangements for anyone in your care, including your children
    • work status
    • leaving the country, temporarily or permanently
    • getting a lump sum payment
    • income or assets increase or decrease, including your partner's income and assets
    • start or finish studying
    Check out this link for more info - http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...-circumstances

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you were receiving parenting payment partnered, you won't get less by changing to PPS. You will receive more. After youve gone onto PPS, you need to contact the Child Support Agency to get an assessment done - if you dont you will only be entitled to the base rate of family tax. My ex is assessed at paying $422 per month on a $55k wage, so it's not likely that if he is on a pension it will be much. I lose about $70 per fortnight of family tax based off that assessment. It can be a minefield, but I have had nothing but good experiences with Centrelink. To give you a rough idea, I received around $1000 per fortnight for one child in Centrelink & family assistance alone, so for 3 you'd be looking at more. Jump on the centrelink website & do an estimate, you'll be surprised at how much more PPS is.

All I have to say is call them & make an appt, it's quite an easy process! Huge hugs and I hope I have helped xx

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkyPies For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (18-07-2013)