+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I try not to judge. I don't see a problem with a SAHP having their child in daycare for 1-2 days a week. Any more than that though and I probably would silently judge TBH. If you're able to be at home then why not spend it with your child rather than paying others to raise your child for you? There are also limited spots in daycare in a lot of areas, so it's not really fair on those who actually NEED those spots. I understand that there are exceptions - I know of someone with mental health issues who had her child in daycare 5 days, although she didn't work, as she was aware that she wasn't really capable of raising her child full-time. I can understand in those kind of circumstances, and in her case daycare was needed just as much for her child as it is for children of working parents.

Each to their own though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine went at 9 months . Partly for me and partly for him . We don't see many people and he's thrived in care. He goes two days and I now work 1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    I really don't get why it would be bad for a SAHP to use it full time when it's ok for a working parent...everyone harps on about how good it is for children (and I agree!) but when it comes to SAHP it's suddenly detrimental or not the *best*
    Sorry, I am trying to work out if you are serious or not. On the basis you are, I understand the benefits of it being okay for a child to attend daycare 1-2 days a week.
    I would judge a parent for sending a child 5 days a week if they are not working or studying at least, absolutely.

First off, you would not be a SAHP. You would be a dole bludger. I would question their motives for wanting to be parents in the first place. I do not understand how any capable person (not disabled or mentally ill) would need to do this.
    I am at a position now that whilst as well as studying, I am looking for part time work. I have a 7 week old. I NEED to put him in care for at least 2 days a week as soon as I get a job.. Not because I want to, but because I have to. I would hope that when this happens I find a space to place my child because of this fact, and not have no hope all because someone wants to do nothing during the day, 5 days a week.

So to the OP, no judgment.. I get it, and I think it is really beneficial for the social interaction of the child.. But 5 days is where I would draw the line.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Natlie For This Useful Post:

KassMeow  (11-07-2013),~ElectricPink~  (11-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ozeymumof5 View Post
    I didn't think SAHP's could use daycare fulltime? well...not unless they paid the full price? I had to give c/link my psych's letter to get my two little ones in for 2 full days p/w so I could go to therapy. This was 12 yrs ago mind you...so it's probably changed
    I thought the exact same. To send a child 5 days when you don't study/work/volunteer or am a carer then you would have to pay the full price?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, I don't judge (it's none of my business really!).
    What ever works best for each family is fine by me

And casual clothes for the daycare drop-off are fine! I don't think clothes outside of a workplace are always indicative of employment status anyway? (if that's what the judging was about?)
    Last edited by 1234Guest; 11-07-2013 at 12:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't read all the posts, but as long as working parents get priority (both of places and in choice of days) I have no problem with it!

My DS was going to daycare twice a week, and I changed jobs requiring me to put him in on a Wednesday as that was a day I was now required to work. They had no vacancies so told one of the non-working parents that they would need to swap their child's day from a Wednesday to a Friday. They weren't happy, but the policy is that working and studying parents get first preference.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by KassMeow View Post
    To the people who have asked this same question... Really?! Just think about it 0_o the mind boggles that anyone would think its ok for a sahp to use childcare full time. Working mums sure, because they NEED to. A sahp is fine to send a couple days but full time is a joke. It's not that it's detrimental to the child it's why on earth a stay at home PARENT would send their child to daycare full time while they were at home :/ a working parent needs to because you can't take your children to work. Why was the even questioned? A sahp is fine to send their child a day or two a week... But full time? Unless they couldn't look after them adequately...
    Lots of mums work bc they want the mental stimulation, or they don't need the money but just like extra for nice holidays etc. If these mums don't need to work, maybe they shouldn't have their child in care? Not saying they shouldn't btw, just pointing out that if we are deeming it's only ok to have your kids in long hours at DC bc you need to work, what about lots of mums on BH that have said they don't have to work but do?
    Last edited by delirium; 11-07-2013 at 12:40.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-07-2013),Guest654  (12-07-2013),headoverfeet  (12-07-2013),MilkingMaid  (11-07-2013),SugarSkull  (11-07-2013),twotrunks  (12-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have no problem with people that want to put their children into care 1 or 2 days a week if they can afford it or whatever. The problem I have is that where I'm from the waiting lists for a childcare centre can be between 18 months - 2 years. It takes me up to 6 months after I wanted care for my SIBLINGS to get in the days I need. The only thing I get annoyed about is when I know people who are using spots when they don't work when I actually need to work and struggling because I can't go to work because of no childcare spots that are being taken up by people that don't work. If I were to live in an area where childcare wasn't a problem and wasn't full everywhere I'd have no problem whatsoever. I also don't judge a person if they don't work but have their children in care. I'd probably think it a bit weird if they had their children in care 5 days a week and not working but even then.. meh whatever they want to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How do people know if other parents are SAHM or not anyway...? Don't really understand, do they wear a sign proclaiming it or something? They could very well be WAHM or work in a casual environment.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-07-2013),SugarSkull  (11-07-2013)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Lots of mums work bc they need the mental stimulation, or they don't need the money but just like extra for nice holidays etc. If these mums don't need to work, maybe they shouldn't have their child in care? Not saying they shouldn't btw, just pointing out that if we are deeming it's only ok to have your kids in long hours at DC bc you need to work, what about lots of mums on BH that have said they don't have to work but do?
    EXCELLENT point!

Also, as part of registering for daycare, do you have to declare your employment status? I really don't think that's anyones business, the supply of daycare should simply meet the demand, whatever parents do for a living. Sounds like a fairly backward system really...