+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have no issues with SAHPs using daycare a couple of days a week. It's great for child development and most kids love it! Plus every parents needs a break

I get annoyed however, with a lady at my daycare who is a SAHM and drops her 6 month old off at 7.30 and picks her up at 5.30 every day of the week... She says looking after her house is a full time job so she treats daycare as if she was working full time.

Aside from the fact I feel for the poor kid, our daycare currently has a waiting list for the baby room and I'm sure it's taking up a spot for someone who needs to go back to work.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (11-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    I'm a rebel and never sent DD to Kindy... She is in her first year of prep and doing fine, even a little advanced in some areas. I just made sure she got plenty of social interactions with sports and playdates, an at home made sure there was lots of play based learning.
    I don't just those that choose not to use kindergarten. Some children really benefit from it and others may not need it. You sound like a great mum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mel04 View Post
    But how are those children any worse off than your own? Why is it ok for your child to spend 5 days a week at care and not a sahp?

I don't judge any one for sending (or not sending) their child to daycare.
    My 2 eldest went 1 day a week the year before school only. My youngest went 2 days a week at 2 because he has autism and needs to learn to cope around kids and learn their behaviours etc. Next year he will go 2 days a week to care and 2 days to Early intervention unit.
    What a bad mum ill be! A Stay at home mum whose child is not in my care 4 days a week! So wrong...
    I don't think the kids are worse off, but maybe the point is - why have a child if you are sending them to daycare full time and not working?

Daycare for us is a necessity as I have to work otherwise we just wouldn't get by. although DS is only in 2 days per week (I can only work 2 days) but te rest of the time I look after him.

I totally get SAHM sending them a few days per week for a break or even just to catch up on chores, but I do feel for kids who r sent full time while mum stays home coz lets face it, little kids do love being by mummy. Yes it's great for their social skills and learning new things but what about the lack of family bonding time etc. at least IMO working mums who work FULL time have a valid reason for sending their kids full time. And no I don't mean to offend by that comment or judge!! I'm just saying I find it hard to believe a SAHM doesn't have time to look after her child herself.

That's probably come out wrong. Sorry if it has. Just trying to explain a different perspective.

I don't judge anyone sending their kids to daycare. There are some weeks where I wish I had more days to myself, but I love spending time with my DS so I can't imagine sending him full time if I wasn't working. I miss him too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You just said kids love being with their mum, so why do working parents have children if they are just going to send them to care?
    I don't see how you can be against one, but not the other?

What if that SAHP is doing volunteer work? Caring for a sick family member? Has PND?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mel04 For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (11-07-2013),MilkingMaid  (11-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, I am a SAHM and sent DD1 to daycare one day a week at 2 because she would not ever leave my side and it was starting to affect her socially. It was hands down the best thing we did. Everyone commented within 6 months at the change in her. Best of all DD loved it and asked to go more than one day a week. Even though she doesn't go to daycare anymore (she is at kinder now) we still catch up with 3 of her daycare friends regularly.

DD2 didn't have the same social issues and coud easily have not gone, however I saw how much DD1 loved it so decided to send her as well.

Now for the honest part....I freaking love the one day a week where the kids are in kinder/daycare. Want to know what I do....well some days I come home, make a coffee, sit down and watch TV. Sometimes I don't start tidying up until an hour before I have to go do the pick ups. Tell that to your judgey people. It'll likely send them into meltdown mode.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

kw123  (11-07-2013),SugarSkull  (11-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    DD (almost 3) and DS (4) have both been going to daycare 2 days a week for almost a year and before that I had a nanny that looked after them 2 days a week and I don't work (I went back for a short time but it didn't work out, another story). I suffered bad PND after the birth of my children so I rely on those 2 days off to keep myself balanced (exercise, read a book, go for a walk etc, not to mention do a food shop, clean the house etc). I never realised people might be judging me for it though.... No one has ever said anything.
    I suffer from PND as well and like you said, it helps keep me balanced. I'm less edgy with him and it makes me a better parent.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (11-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been a sahm and used daycare. I was suffering with major pnd and both my dr and psych told me to put my little ones into daycare for two days per week and wow, what a difference it made to my mental health at the time and it allowed me to get the theropy I needed without having to bring baby and toddler to the clinic with me. I haven't used it with my last three little ones as I haven't needed to now that my mental health has improved a lot. I do/will send them to a private kindy and pre-prep that I have been using for all my kids once they turn 3 so they get the independence they need before they go to school. There are soo many daycares out there now...I have three within 1km of my house!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (11-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS goes 2 days a week, he is 16 months and has been going since he was 12 months.. I'm a SAHM but my hubby does FIFO.

DS only has short days 9-3/4 pm and I would have preferred to only have the one day but apparently it's harder for them to adjust if its only one day..

Sure, some people have said some backhanded stuff about him being in care, but he loves it! And it gives me a chance to catch up on house work or finally get a little nap in (DS is a horrible sleeper) if he didn't enjoy it so much, I wouldn't think twice about pulling him out!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DewDanni For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (11-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think it's wrong, it's much easier to get things done when they aren't there lol

I work 2 days a week. Im on maternity leave ATM since 34 weeks pregnant. I didn't keep DD in day care though.
    People suggested I should to have a break - and when DS comes ill have a one on one time with him.
    But I would just rather have her at home with me.
    Everyone is different though
    My hubby finishes work at 4pm so I do get time to pop out down the street childless if I need to get something done i suppose.

I think some working mums feel like they don't get a break, even though their child is away at day care while they are at work, it's still not really 'free time'. Maybe they are a bit resentful of that? Especially if they work full time (that would be really hard)

DH & I
    DD 2 years old
    Lola kitty
    & DS due end of July 2013!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beccaboobang View Post
    I don't just those that choose not to use kindergarten. Some children really benefit from it and others may not need it. You sound like a great mum!
    Oh thanks. If I am honest with you I actually enjoyed having her home. She is my one and only, as an absolute delight to be around.

Everyone is different though and I'm pretty sure if I had a second child/pregnant/needed free time/she needed it/whatever I would have had her in Kindy.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (12-07-2013)