+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a bit jealous that SAHP can afford day care 5 days a week!!

I'm a big believer that if you're a SAHP, your kids generally stay with with you, however I see how 1-2 days in care is totally reasonable and beneficial for both the child and parent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beccaboobang View Post
    I work at a child care centre as the kindergarten teacher and I think it's a great idea for children to be in a few times a week even if they have a stay at home mum. (Also gives you the chance to do whatever chores and to reenergise). It can be excellent for their development! It is a little sad though when a child with a stay at home mum has them in 5days a week from 6 to 6. It gets a bit much for young children to be away from mum for such long hours. I understand some working parents can't get around those hours though.
    I didn't think sahm were allowed to do that. When my kiddies went to daycare as a non working mum I was only allowed 2 days a week ccb.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    I'm a bit jealous that SAHP can afford day care 5 days a week!!

I'm a big believer that if you're a SAHP, your kids generally stay with with you, however I see how 1-2 days in care is totally reasonable and beneficial for both the child and parent.
    If I get to be a sahm I think I'd struggle to send my child to care even though I know how beneficial it can be! If they are kindergarten age I recommend 2-3 days a week. Being a kindergarten teacher I really work on getting the children ready for prep. For them to get the most out of my kindergarten program I recommend 3-4yr olds attend a day or two the year before moving up to kindergarten so they are settled and comfortable as they would miss out on lots of learning when they start kindy if it is their first time in care and they are not settled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    DS1 is still in daycare 2 days a week while I'm on mat leave with DS2. I do sometimes feel guilty when people ask, like it's somehow wrong. But I do it because:-
    - I'm a single parent now, so gives me a break
    - he loves it, so we treat it like playgroup
    - keeps his spot at the centre, don't have to go back on the 2yr waiting list
    - makes getting a spot for DS2 much easier
    - I get to spend some 1:1 time with DS2
    - days for all docs appts, chores etc
    This. I just started maternity leave and wanted to have some one to one time with new bub like DS had when he was born. Plus I'll be so exhausted at first that won't be able to keep a busy toddler entertained every day, so think its nice he can go play with his friends for part of the week.

We use family day care and i am very happy with how personal it feels. Like dropping him off with a friend and only three other kids.

He'll do shorter days now then when i was working. 9.30 to 4 ish.

Sometimes I feel guilty about it but will need the care there for when I return to work part time and don't want to lose my spot with a great carer!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (11-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by our3boys View Post
    I didn't think sahm were allowed to do that. When my kiddies went to daycare as a non working mum I was only allowed 2 days a week ccb.
    If they pay their fees they can. However if a working parent wants more days and there is no spaces available, sahp can be asked to change or drop days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lack of CCB doesn't mean you can't still send your child full time without working.

I know someone who does it. My heart breaks for the kid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I judge daycare centres who don't use the priority allocation system properly and offer spots to SAHP's before working mums. But I don't judge the parents who accept the spots because why wouldn't they?

I totally judge people who don't work using daycare five days a week. A girl from my mothers group did this from when her baby was 7 months old. So sad.

I don't think it would happen too often where I live as you wouldn't get CCR and most centres are $100 per day or more. And if you can afford that without CCR you likely don't get CCB either. Very pricey if not working!

I used to be quite judgey of SAHP's using daycare a couple of times a week but not any more (since I became a mum and realised how hard it is!).

I think a lot of it is jealousy... Working mums don't get the chance to do chores on their own or re-energise while kids are in daycare. But in all honesty, I'm sure most of us would do it if we could!

ETA: not a debate about which is harder, working mum or SAHP. I'm just saying what makes ME jealous!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

bigbum  (11-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Do people really seriously do that (SAHP putting kids in from 6-6 five days)??? Omg!!

DD is in 5 days 8-6, no way would I do that if I wasn't working 9-5:30 each day! Yes I absolutely judge parents who do that. That's just WRONG. Wrong wrong wrong.
    But how are those children any worse off than your own? Why is it ok for your child to spend 5 days a week at care and not a sahp?

I don't judge any one for sending (or not sending) their child to daycare.
    My 2 eldest went 1 day a week the year before school only. My youngest went 2 days a week at 2 because he has autism and needs to learn to cope around kids and learn their behaviours etc. Next year he will go 2 days a week to care and 2 days to Early intervention unit.
    What a bad mum ill be! A Stay at home mum whose child is not in my care 4 days a week! So wrong...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beccaboobang View Post
    If I get to be a sahm I think I'd struggle to send my child to care even though I know how beneficial it can be! If they are kindergarten age I recommend 2-3 days a week. Being a kindergarten teacher I really work on getting the children ready for prep. For them to get the most out of my kindergarten program I recommend 3-4yr olds attend a day or two the year before moving up to kindergarten so they are settled and comfortable as they would miss out on lots of learning when they start kindy if it is their first time in care and they are not settled.
    I'm a rebel and never sent DD to Kindy... She is in her first year of prep and doing fine, even a little advanced in some areas. I just made sure she got plenty of social interactions with sports and playdates, an at home made sure there was lots of play based learning.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

Jellyfishie  (11-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have a child but am pregnant with my first. I've been discussing this with dh and I'm lucky enough to have a mum that can look after our bub full time if I go back to work.

In saying that though when bub is around 2 we are still going to put them in child care at least one day a week (and this will be weather I'm working or not). We think by doing that we will be giving our child the opportunity to develop social skills outside of their family life.

I have a SIL and friends who don't work but still send their kids to childcare. Our 2 year old niece would only say a small handful of words before she went to childcare, 3 weeks on she is stringing sentences together.

I say you do what you feel is necessary for your child and your family and tell all the haters to mind their own business or you'll start telling them how to run their lives!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to fingers xd For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (11-07-2013)