+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I can see the point of working mums having higher priority over most. I don't see what is so hard to understand about that? It's not as if a sahm can get the sack.
    I don't think anyone has said they shouldn't. I get that a mum working has to have her child minded, I don't. I don't have a mental illness so I don't *need* care. having said that I had my kids in DC one day a week - DD bc she was an only for interaction, DS bc I needed a break.

In regard to the 5 days a week - I've been a SAHM a good portion of my kids childhood. I would never use care 5 days a week for several reasons. The cost would be huge, I would miss my kids too much. I feel MY role is to care for them. But I really have to agree with others here - I don't see the difference between the mum working for adult interaction 5 days a week, and a SAHM using DC 5 days a week. Now if the DH is working a low wage job and they need the 2nd income just to pay the rent. That really is a need to work.

and I will add there is no judgement from me towards the mum that is working to fund an overseas holiday every year or just to get adult interaction. None at all.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (12-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The issue about who should get priority for places is really not the fault of working mums or SAHM's. It's a problem of supply not meeting demand, which means that it isn't attractive enough for businesses to enter the industry. In that regard, us mums should all give each other a break and get angry about the barriers to entry to open and run a childcare centre.

On the subject of SAHM's using daycare, I think we all get judged (and judge others) for our parenting decisions. We just can't help ourselves. I think the best way to handle it is to just accept that people are allowed their opinion and let it go. We all have to make the parenting choices that are best for us and our kids and be brave about those choices in the face of disapproval from others. Usually they don't have all the information we have about the family situation and it's best to just trust your own judgment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't think children should be used to make money. IMO all centres should be community based and not for profit!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

delirium  (12-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If SAHMs didn't ever use childcare then a number of centres in my area would struggle to be profitable because they have a lot of children who come 1-2 days a week with SAHMs. So there would be fewer centres and less choice and availability for working mums who need child care centres.

It makes good business sense to accept children from all walks of life.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdro View Post
    The issue about who should get priority for places is really not the fault of working mums or SAHM's. It's a problem of supply not meeting demand, which means that it isn't attractive enough for businesses to enter the industry. In that regard, us mums should all give each other a break and get angry about the barriers to entry to open and run a childcare centre.

On the subject of SAHM's using daycare, I think we all get judged (and judge others) for our parenting decisions. We just can't help ourselves. I think the best way to handle it is to just accept that people are allowed their opinion and let it go. We all have to make the parenting choices that are best for us and our kids and be brave about those choices in the face of disapproval from others. Usually they don't have all the information we have about the family situation and it's best to just trust your own judgment.
    On that note, $18 an hour- the highest step for an assistant child care worker. $24 an hour for the highest step for a qualified child care worker. That is crap!! There would be more centers if the industry wasn't so lowly paid! About 800 staff leave the industry a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think children should be used to make money. IMO all centres should be community based and not for profit!
    What about other businesses that make money from children, like kids art classes, or kids gymnastics? How is that different from early learning centres?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (12-07-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Completely agree! I loved my NFP work place and it was much better than the giant child care center companies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Each to their own, If you feel its the right thing for your child then go for it.
    If my child liked that sort of thing i would consider it a couple of hours a week for the play/social aspect but my child hates places with large groups of kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    What about other businesses that make money from children, like kids art classes, or kids gymnastics? How is that different from early learning centres?
    Because they are providing a service? I liken them to public hospitals they shouldn't be focused on lining someones personal pockets..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love to see more NFP centres too, but I don't have any objections to people running private ones if they want to give it a go. I don't see it as any different from other kids services.

I would actually love to see more offices/large businesses have NFP child care centres attached for the workers children to attend.