Closed Thread
Page 85 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Zeddie View Post
    Saw a name today that's not bad as such I'm just not sure how to pronounce it. Eiden??

Eden
    Eye-den
    Ay-den
    It's Gaelic, means 'fire'.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

Mod-Zeddie  (28-11-2015),Possie7  (29-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    I would say it like Ah-lee-uh
    That's probably how they pronounce it, but why is there and 'i' in there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    That's probably how they pronounce it, but why is there and 'i' in there?
    It's silent

5. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (27-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I actually didn't think aleeia was TOO out there. like I can't really think how else you'd spell it and because I don't perceive it to be a butchering of a more traditional spelling, it doesn't stand out as being overly you-neek to me. I think if it was spelled aleea it would look weird, almost needs the i in there to break it up visually. and I had no issue pronouncing it, first time I read the name I knew how to pronounce. it's unusual but I wouldn't class it as you-neek

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I actually didn't think aleeia was TOO out there. like I can't really think how else you'd spell it and because I don't perceive it to be a butchering of a more traditional spelling, it doesn't stand out as being overly you-neek to me. I think if it was spelled aleea it would look weird, almost needs the i in there to break it up visually. and I had no issue pronouncing it, first time I read the name I knew how to pronounce. it's unusual but I wouldn't class it as you-neek
    Ive seen it spelt several ways. A friends daughter is Aleah and another friends daughter is Aaliyah. All said the same way. Aaliyah was the name of a singer/actress years ago and probably the most common way I have seen the name spelt.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (28-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    My niece's name is spelled Alia. I have another friend who's daughter has same name. I think that is the more common spelling. It's actually a pretty common name up here! 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    oh of course, I didn't even think of the singer!! and now that I think of it, I went to high school with an Alia but it was pronounced ahh-leah (like emphasis on the ahhh instead of the lee-yah).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin1106 View Post
    I actually think it's quite a pretty name. It just sucks that it now has such a horrible association. You are right, poor kid. But not because her mum named her after a Greek goddess.....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackDiamond For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (28-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    agreed. it's actually a pretty name, just horribly tainted by recent events. the poor little girl.