Closed Thread
Page 46 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    I like Van.
    It's been around for a while. Van Morrison. Van West. Sophie and Dale from The Block named their son Van. It's just a pity their last name is Vine though.
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    We were almost going to name our boy Van...i really like it! We ended up with another unusual name that i dont think people on here will appreciate 😕
    I love Van as well! It was on my short list for DS2 and DS3. Jethro and Wolf were also on those lists. Those in the know will understand

DS1 and DS2 have correctly spelt, but unusual (but totally legit) names. Whilst DD and DS3 have more traditional names. We got the best of both worlds!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (17-08-2015),hoping28  (18-08-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (17-08-2015),Mod-Zeddie  (17-08-2015),munchkin275  (17-08-2015),shani2  (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Horrible baby names

Fairly certain I read last week (before the Kimye name news came out) that Easton is actually an old name making a comeback, it was on the same list as Clementine, our DD's name. Just unfortunate that Kimya will ruin it by making it sound ridiculous.

A friend gave their DS Van as a middle name, it's quite sweet. I know hubbers would probably be fine with DS' name as I know there are a few others that used it, which annoys me because I thought we were being classic but original. I wonder what everyone would think of our other boy and girl names...old fashioned but not regularly used. I'm always too scared to tell people on here!

Eta: when I say Easton was on the same list, I meant the huffpost parents list, not ours! ☺️
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 17-08-2015 at 18:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Somebody in my local mum FB posted this the other day, apparently they're mostly old traditional names that people are scared to use for whatever reason. I'd never, ever heard of most of them but we have a couple Jagos in our neighborhood.

http://www.mumsnet.com/baby-names/na...Bnames%2Bbrave

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Just*Ace View Post
    I'm in a young mums group on Facebook and the 'what should I name my baby, the baby daddy and I can't agree on a name' always end up amusing!
    Just in the last few days these were suggested for a girl
    Porshalee
    Falicia (kinda reminds me of fellatio lol)
    Lohgann
    Shanesesia

And for a boy
    Kysn
    Andariel
    I like the name Felicia but...you know, spelt properly with the E like Felicia Day who is a goddess!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by BettyW View Post
    I usually teach at a private school and it's true, most of the names are fairly traditional but when I've done relief at the local big 'diverse' state school some of them take some pronouncing... Not difficult to say but made me cringe a bit - yr 9 boy named 'Killa' pronounced "killer".
    No. No no no no. Just no.

I honestly don't get why people do that. You're not funny, that's a human being. It you want to name something "Killa", get a freaking dog!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (17-08-2015),Mumsical  (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyW View Post
    I usually teach at a private school and it's true, most of the names are fairly traditional but when I've done relief at the local big 'diverse' state school some of them take some pronouncing... Not difficult to say but made me cringe a bit - yr 9 boy named 'Killa' pronounced "killer". 😕
    Omg, that poor kid. What kind of a future is he going to have with a name like that? How could you ever apply for a job in a serious field and expect to get hired. Even in retail if you had to wear a name tag i think that would put a lot of employers off. So sad.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (17-08-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    I love Van as well! It was on my short list for DS2 and DS3. Jethro and Wolf were also on those lists. Those in the know will understand
    Love it!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Somebody in my local mum FB posted this the other day, apparently they're mostly old traditional names that people are scared to use for whatever reason. I'd never, ever heard of most of them but we have a couple Jagos in our neighborhood.

http://www.mumsnet.com/baby-names/na...Bnames%2Bbrave
    Sorry, just went through this list and realized only a few are 'old traditional'. I think I got this list and the other I mentioned above confused. But, the ladies who originally responded knew or used Jago, Persephone, peregrine, Isis, adminta. Sorry if spelling is wrong, I couldn't be bothered going back to look! I've noticed quite a few 'toffee' Brits use some pretty odd old names that most of us wouldn't have heard of but get away with them. But also no one really bats an eye at the 'old lady' names and you end up with some sweet names running around. I've met a couple Florences (a baby and a woman) and I love it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have to admit that I just adore 'little old lady' and 'little old man' names, so cute lol.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArthurDent For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (17-08-2015),shani2  (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDent View Post
    I have to admit that I just adore 'little old lady' and 'little old man' names, so cute lol.
    I'm with you on the 'old lady' names. We had things like Esme, Daisy, Mabel, Harriet and Eleanor on our lists...but with only 1 girl and 3 boys, I missed out on all the old lady naming glory 😂

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (17-08-2015),ArthurDent  (17-08-2015)