Closed Thread
Page 43 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    Oh geez, Easton West! I really hope it's not true...
    Oh gawd, that's terrible!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Someone I know has the name Sharryne (pronounced exactly the same as Sharon). Seriously. She's in her 60s so yooneek spelling obviously isn't a new thing.

I don't get why people feel the need to make up names or spell/pronounce normal names differently. There are so many wonderful names out there and if you're looking for something a bit different, look to other cultures for names instead!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Horrible baby names

Same, I often like unusual names, traditional names are often too common or 'boring' for my liking. I just don't get people who name their children something that no one will EVER get right (like the C(VIII)Lin [Caitlin] example I posted earlier in the thread).

I like Van, it always makes me think of Van Wilder but in the movie that was short for Vance.
    I will admit I didn't notice that Dale & Sophie named their son Van Vine until mentioned here. That is unfortunate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Cheeah- chee-ah, as in chia seeds....

Thanks
    Reviews
    With all these 'you'nique names floating around, im really interested in seeing my sons classmates names when he goes to school! Im very traditional I guess. When my son was born all the ladies In the SCU commented on how they hadnt seen a child with his name in a while

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default Horrible baby names

Quote Originally Posted by gamermummy View Post
    With all these 'you'nique names floating around, im really interested in seeing my sons classmates names when he goes to school! Im very traditional I guess. When my son was born all the ladies In the SCU commented on how they hadnt seen a child with his name in a while
    A friend of mine is a teacher and it's amazing how names change between different areas. She used to work in a low socioeconomic area and saw lots of "yooneek" spelling. Now she works in a private school in a leafy green suburb and she said the children there have almost comically traditional names like the parents are trying to outdo each other on just how traditional they can be!
    Last edited by Apple iPhart6; 17-08-2015 at 13:51.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

gamermummy  (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPhart6 View Post
    A friend of mine is a teacher and it's amazing how names change between different areas. She used to work in a low socioeconomic area and saw lots of "yooneek" spelling. Now she works in a private school in a leafy green suburb and she said the children there have almost comically traditional names like the parents are trying to outdo each other on just how traditional they can be!
    That is actually really interesting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by gamermummy View Post
    That is actually really interesting.
    I did the school tour at Guildford Grammar and it certainly held true there. I couldn't resist checking out the list of names for each class and I can't remember exactly but there might've been only one or two names that I thought were "odd".

Thanks
    Reviews
    I kind of thing some of the lower socio-economic areas see naming a child as their chance to be extravagant, something they can't do in many other areas of their lives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Met a girl called Peah.. like Leah with a P.. didn't ask about spelling. Can only assume there's a random I and a silent j in there somewhere.