I believe it's 'Culain' and 'Keeva'.
    I would never have guessed either

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Yoghurt For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (15-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicho View Post
    That's nice and all, but how many people this child meets through their life are going to know how this is pronounced? Genuine question.
    Honestly? I thought Sean, Siobhan and Niamh were really common. I've known a few of each both as a child and an adult and can't recall any of them having an issue with teachers or workmates not knowing how to pronounce their names. Sure, some people have names that people don't know how to pronounce. I have a surname that's said almost exactly as it's spelled and people still get it wrong. I don't see the big deal in asking someone how to pronounce their name if I'm not sure. I've met lots of people whose names I've googled to listen to the pronunciation. It's not hard.

I'd rather people use traditional spelling then the current trend of throwing in an extra Y or hyphen into names unnecessarily. That's done in an attempt to be cool or different, not using a traditional name. But that's my personal preference and really, a whole other thread.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (15-07-2016),BettyV  (15-07-2016),HollyGolightly81  (15-07-2016),J37  (15-07-2016),kim85  (16-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (15-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Horrible baby names

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    I believe it's 'Culain' and 'Keeva'.
    Keeva is correct as mh and bh make v sounds in the Irish language. The other is pronounced as Coo-Cullin.

As an Irish person now living in Australia, I wished I didn't have an Irish name. People are more tolerant now but I used to get, "why did your parents make your name up", your name is horrible" how on earth to you pronounce that" I was born in Ireland but we moved when I was 7 however my mum said she has always loved my name and would have given it to me even if I had been born here. One of my brothers is Seamus (pronounced Shaymus) but teachers used to pronounce it Sea moose which of course cracked the class up but really embarrassed my brother.

Thy being said, I don't have an issue with people pronouncing my name these days, they just get a bit tripped up on the spelling. I think as Australia has become more multicultural, people realise that not all names are of an English origin.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to calypso75 For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (15-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Honestly? I thought Sean, Siobhan and Niamh were really common. I've known a few of each both as a child and an adult and can't recall any of them having an issue with teachers or workmates not knowing how to pronounce their names. Sure, some people have names that people don't know how to pronounce. I have a surname that's said almost exactly as it's spelled and people still get it wrong. I don't see the big deal in asking someone how to pronounce their name if I'm not sure. I've met lots of people whose names I've googled to listen to the pronunciation. It's not hard.

I'd rather people use traditional spelling then the current trend of throwing in an extra Y or hyphen into names unnecessarily. That's done in an attempt to be cool or different, not using a traditional name. But that's my personal preference and really, a whole other thread.
    I've known heaps of Seans growing up and always knew it was 'Shawn.' Being in London I have quite a few Irish friends who have named their children traditional names with spelling. You figure it out. I completely agree that I would rather see a traditional name and spelling, mostly likely paying homage to the child's heritage and family than some phonetically spelled or made up bogan name.

But then again, maybe a made up or phonetically spelled bogan name is paying homage to Australian heritage

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

almai  (15-07-2016),BettyV  (16-07-2016),J37  (15-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (15-07-2016),LoveLivesHere  (15-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I've known heaps of Seans growing up and always knew it was 'Shawn.' Being in London I have quite a few Irish friends who have named their children traditional names with spelling. You figure it out. I completely agree that I would rather see a traditional name and spelling, mostly likely paying homage to the child's heritage and family than some phonetically spelled or made up bogan name.

But then again, maybe a made up or phonetically spelled bogan name is paying homage to Australian heritage
    😂😂😂😂😂😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a teejay at our school. And Ariah, funny story about that one but best not put on incase mum is on the forums!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Em9 For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma  (15-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have a Cjay at daycare, I hate it so much. I don't like the name at all but if you're set on it, either you just do initials, or you spell the whole thing out. Ceejay or CJ! Not Cjay!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My hubby is "Morgwn", which is the Welsh version of Morgan. People usually insert an extra "y" in it, to arrive at "Morgwyn". He's given up, but I have maintained the crusade. It's not that hard; replace the a with a w. Easy.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    We have a Cjay at daycare, I hate it so much. I don't like the name at all but if you're set on it, either you just do initials, or you spell the whole thing out. Ceejay or CJ! Not Cjay!
    Wow! Haha this thread is hilarious!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgeousgeorge View Post
    Although in saying all this, if i ever do get my miracle baby, and its a boy, i am seriously thinking of naming him Ozzy (yes, as in ozzy osbourne) What does everyone think of that? Be brutal ladies, it hasnt happened yet so i wont be insulted. :-)
    Brutal honesty...it sounds like a nick name - his whole life ppl will ask him what it's shirt for. I'm a teacher so I come across a lot of names.

I always picture children as grown up applying for jobs and imagining what image the name conveys.