+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default TMI. Teaching DS to clean p.enis.

Ds is almost 4. Is there any particular way I need to teach him to clean his p.enis? He is not circumcised.
    Thanks.
    (The MCHN told my cousin to gently pull the foreskin back and clean, but I wasn't sure).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We were told not to teach him anything but then we started to notice his foreskin was very tight and we were told that he needed to try and roll the end in his fingers and start to gently retract it. Don't need to clean it per say as it's sort of self cleaning from what I understand. I never thought I'd be encouraging my son to play with himself but we're trying to avoid any surgical intervention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks.
    From memory, the foreskin is quite loose, not tight. Lol. I'll have a little look tomorrow.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You should never try to retract the foreskin if it's still fused. EVER. It's normal to be tightly fused for years to come (it's even normal for teenage boys to not fully retract) and it will retract on its own in time. It can actually cause serious damage if you attempt to pull it back when it's not ready. Just teach him to wash it as he would wash any other body part.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes sorry I should probably add that we were advised to just gently retract under the advice of a paediatrician given his issues and honestly he never played with himself in the shower or the bath so we had to encourage that a little too.
    Last edited by ICanDream; 10-07-2013 at 21:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What if it does retract now? I think I remember seeing ds do that a few weeks ago (I remember him having a giggle at how weird it looked)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have two boys and I was told NEVER to retract as it can cause damage if accidentally pulled back too far.

From what I was told was that the p.enis has normal cleaning fluid (like the v.agina) that takes care of all that. As long as they wash themselves like other body parts it should be fine.

The boys tend to play with themselves in the bath / shower which helps to loosen the foreskin.

Basically what I was told was to leave it alone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks!!
    I notice that when DS's underwear are off (In between changing etc) he does play with it, so I assume now that would be healthy to help loosen it? (before I would say 'stop playing with it!').
    Oops!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    Thanks!!
    I notice that when DS's underwear are off (In between changing etc) he does play with it, so I assume now that would be healthy to help loosen it? (before I would say 'stop playing with it!').
    Oops!
    Absolutely normal! And yes playing with it is a good thing as it does help to loosen it....it's the natural way of doing it as they won't hurt themselves.

But ds2 does play with A LOT! so you still can tell them to get their hands off it if they are doing it a bit too much.

What you are doing is fine! Just tell your ds to give it a good clean in the bath/shower and that should be enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great thanks!

It's a bit of a hand magnet sometimes, I try to rush the undies back on before anything else sometimes!