+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was reading a book about a dog trainer, and one of his 5 golden rules of training, is that if his dog barks at something outside of the property boundary, he will go out, check it out, say "Thankyou" to the dog, and then ask it to be quiet.

If the dog is not quiet after he has checked it out, and deemed the situation safe, then he will use 'time out' ie take the dog to a quiet place where it has to calm down and be quiet eg garage or something confined.

So yes, they can be trained to stop barking at certain things.

I would expect dog owners in suburbia to have that amount of control over their dog.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (13-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had my neighbor (who I've never met until this occasion) come round the other week and abuse me (passive aggressively so it came across as 'nice') saying that my dog was driving her crazy barking that day.
    She had a tradie in her back yard doing carpentry. I just thought what the cheek. I have to listen to him wood working and I don't say anything but she complains about my dog. If the tradie wasn't there my dog wouldn't bark.

I dunno. Nobody like a nuisance dog barking all the time but some ppl are pretty intolerant sometimes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    My dogs are usually pretty quiet except for when someone walks up our driveway or they get super excited when we get home. However, being school holidays, the kids in our street are home. In one house, the teenaged son let their dog out the front and play fetch on the street with a noisy plastic toy and the dog runs on our driveway sometimes. Another house has 2 young boys, aged about 5 and 6, and they kick a soccer ball around in the street (quiet cul-de-sac) and it often comes up our driveway and even hits our roller door. In these instances my dog barks a lot. As soon as they go away / inside, shes quiet. I don't scold her unless she's going to wake my daughter up, because I think, it's not my fault or her fault that someone else is on our property and she's allowed to defend our property. If the neighbours don't like my barking dog, play in your own backyard like we do. Do you think this is the wrong attitude to have? I know it probably p!sses the non-offending neighbours off and I know two wrongs don't make a right, but if they weren't being annoying in the first place then my dog wouldn't bark. I just want to hear what others think about my way of thinking.
    No your thoughts are justified. Dogs shouldn't be out in the street. Your dog is barking when there's a reason to bark and that's expected.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work from home & will be stay at home mum too. It was important to me that I had a dog in the yard so I felt safe. If someone comes to the door the first thing I do is let the dog in. I usually keep him behind a baby gate but I like people knowing that I have a dog. Everyone in my street has one though so I doubt anyone would complain if my dog barked occasionally. I wouldn't allow my dog to bark non stop at goings on out the front but would allow a warning bark if the kids banged on the garage door. Just today I had a tradie enter through the side gate with me and the dog went off his tree. I was unable to stop him by voice command so I locked him away. To be fair he hadn't been trained in that situation but it will be something I will work on straight away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    I can't see how that would train a dog not to bark. What you have described is how you train a dog to leave food alone on command. You say 'leave' and they are expected not to eat the food until you say they can.
    No, I am teaching my dog to learn the word 'leave'. And this is just how to start off. In time the word 'leave' can and will be used for many things....our main training atm is to 'leave' the cat alone.

I had my old dog fully trained by hand signal only and I could even command her to bark and to stop just by signal. It's amazing how obedient a dog can be wirh training
    Last edited by ozeymumof5; 10-07-2013 at 15:53.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (10-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The thing you need to remember is that there are people out there that do night shift. I can tell you now that if I did night shift and during the day when I was trying to sleep I'd be heaps annoyed if there was a dog barking continuously. If the neighbours don't care then it really doesn't matter. The thing you need to remember about a barking dog is that it does annoy some people and in some cases this is why dogs get baited (not that I'm approving of that or anything).

Thanks
    Reviews
    The op said her dog barks when kids/other dogs/toys come onto her property. That's not her fault or the dogs fault.

If the barking is not constant and is justified then I don't see what the big deal is.

Dogs are permitted by council. Dogs bark, it's what they do and in the ops situation it does not sound excessive.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

3cats1pug  (10-07-2013),Amiedoll  (11-07-2013),JR03  (10-07-2013),Tainted  (13-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    The thing you need to remember is that there are people out there that do night shift. I can tell you now that if I did night shift and during the day when I was trying to sleep I'd be heaps annoyed if there was a dog barking continuously. If the neighbours don't care then it really doesn't matter. The thing you need to remember about a barking dog is that it does annoy some people and in some cases this is why dogs get baited (not that I'm approving of that or anything).
    But lots of things are annoying. The world shouldn't cease turning because you choose to work at the opposite hours. It's not the owners fault if the dog barks at kids mucking about. These things happen. Just as I try to keep my cool with noisy traffic, trams, drunk ppl walking past my house yelling, tradies, parties. We got soundproofing in the front of the house. It's helped a lot.

Why can tradies make noise constantly, ppl have parties etc but a barking dog is so offensive? Ppl are so quick to get annoyed nowadays. OP I think it's fine. If your dog goes on and on I'd go out and reprimand the dog or move the dog. But if its isolated and there is a reasonable reason (ie not barking at the wind changing) I'd let it go.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3cats1pug For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (10-07-2013),MilkingMaid  (10-07-2013),Theophania  (11-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dog is very similar, and I have a similar situation in the school holidays also. I guess it really depends on the actual level of the barking. If the dog only barks when the kids or other dog enters your property, then yeah, stuff the neighbours. Your dog is defending its territory. If, like my dog, it just goes nuts for hours and hours and hours, then this could get a little annoying. I usually let her have her say for a few minutes then call her inside and distract her with something else.

Having said that, I cant believe some of the comments from other posters, talking about "night shift workers" and "babies and kids trying to sleep" etc. I know in my situation, the kids on their bikes/skateboards, kicking the soccer ball around and just being regular kids make more noise than any of the dogs that bark in the street, and I know if I was trying to sleep the noise of the kids would annoy me a lot more than a barking dog off in the distance, but no one is saying anything about "training" the kids to be quiet

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DmansMummy For This Useful Post:

Meg2  (10-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DmansMummy View Post
    My dog is very similar, and I have a similar situation in the school holidays also. I guess it really depends on the actual level of the barking. If the dog only barks when the kids or other dog enters your property, then yeah, stuff the neighbours. Your dog is defending its territory. If, like my dog, it just goes nuts for hours and hours and hours, then this could get a little annoying. I usually let her have her say for a few minutes then call her inside and distract her with something else.

Having said that, I cant believe some of the comments from other posters, talking about "night shift workers" and "babies and kids trying to sleep" etc. I know in my situation, the kids on their bikes/skateboards, kicking the soccer ball around and just being regular kids make more noise than any of the dogs that bark in the street, and I know if I was trying to sleep the noise of the kids would annoy me a lot more than a barking dog off in the distance, but no one is saying anything about "training" the kids to be quiet
    Um, when you have a dog barking literally 3m from your bedroom window for hours on end, yup im gunna complain about my child trying to sleep. Its called nuisance barking for a reason, and there is a reason you can make complaints about it to the council etc.

And of course people arent suggesting people train their children. Children and dogs are completely different. So its nowhere near the same thing.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (10-07-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (12-07-2013)