+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

Default Dog and Aggressive behaviour

Has anyone had to make the decision of putting down their dog due to aggressive behaviour towards their kids?

What was the final situation that helped you to make this choice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not put him down and not towards kids but dps dog stated getting aggressive towards me so we sold him (he was a hunting dog so sold him as such with the warning he was not suitable for family or other pets).

If there was no other option we would have put him down. It was an aquired trait add he was perfectly fine for the 3yrs wet had owned him from a 6wk old puppy up.

He started growling at me if I got to close to him and would growl at dp when he went to get him out of the ute cage. We sold him within a week. I told dp I don't want him near me or ds and he agreed. It wasn't a hard decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't personally, but I used to work for a no kill pound, and inability to live with children was the most common reason for surrender. Could you get the dog temperament assessed? If the dog hasn't actually attacked anybody, it could be rehomed into an adults only family.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    What sort of aggressive behaviour are you talking about?

Thats a tough decision. Our dog was aggressive to dps nephew when they were both younger however now we have our own children she is wonderful with them. We were very worried we would be in that position too. Could you try rehoming it to a childless house? That would be my first choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a dog lover so I feel your pain. My dog is truly like my other baby. For me though, it'd be enough that the question is being asked because maybe in your gut, you sense the dog it not suitable for kids.

Could you look at rehoming?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to rehouse my dog because he didn't like the kids put him on gumtree and he went to a 16 yo boy, just the type of home he needed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    The thought of rehoming has crossed my mind but he is also a really anxious dog and does not like strangers so I think it would be cruel to send him to the animal refuge or another persons home.

We have had him since he was 9 weeks Old and he's now 4. Have tried different training and even had a dog behaviouralist to see him in the earlier days to correct lots of other behaviours (destroying things, jumping up on people etc) but nothing has ever worked.

He has been fairly good with DS1 but I have tried to keep them separated as much as I can as the dog is so unpredictable sometimes and I've always had it in the back of my mind that he isn't really a kid friendly dog.

He started doing a nasty growl at DS1 (18 months) yesterday and bit him (didn't draw blood but left a nasty mark) while I was right there beside them both. As soon as I heard the growl I yelled, grabbed DS who was terrified and put the dog outside. Scares me that if I had of been a few steps away it could have been a lot worse. I really don't think I can keep him in our home. I can't risk my kids. But hubby is making me feel guilty about it.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh dear, that is not good, and your instinct is completely correct. If the dog has proved difficult to train perviously, I think you are right in saying the dog needs a new home.
    What is your hubbys solution to the problem? I think he's being pretty foolish. Your childs safety is paramount, as well as their sense of being at ease in their own home!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Put an honest ad somewhere and try to re home him.
    If he is jumping, destroying things, and aggressive he isn't trained or isn't trained enough he is probably also bored and doesn't view you as his master.
    Dogs need to be walked at least an hour a day and run as well.
    They need constant training and interaction.
    There are people who might want him state in the ad that the last resort is having the dog put down.
    I would be doing that before even considering having him put down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    He just wants me to try even harder to keep them separated. Easy for him to say when he's not here for 3 weeks at a time dealing with 2 under 2 and a crazy dog..