+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default For those who live on acreage...

DH and I have been looking for a new home for months now, we're very specific in our requirements but last week a real estate agent we've dealt with before called us and told us about a property she has, its on 3 acres.
    The house itself sounds perfect, it's very affordable, has all the mod cons, is not far from conveniences like school and shops and DH would still get to work in 40-50 min, he would commute 2 or 3 days a week max.
    We never thought about acreage, but it sounds like it could be great, room for the kids to move and play outside, lots of opportunities to grow our own vegies and maybe even have a business in the future.
    But what's the reality of living on acreage?
    What are the jobs that need to be done to maintain the property? pros & cons and anything in between appreciated!!

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Are you thinking of keeping any animals? I'm on 25 acres with cattle, and probably the biggest thing for me is fence maintenance. Another biggie is mowing, and especially in Oz you need to make sure your grass etc isn't creating a fire hazard if it gets too long.
    If you are that way inclined, and like to keep the edges down with spray, that can be a big job.
    What is the driveway like? Ours is a long one, 250m or so, and was in need af work when I got here, that was about 2.5k to do.

Maintaining gardens on 3 acres can be time consuming depending how big they are....

Are you thinking of chooks?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My parents have an acre and I remember the first time Dad tried to mow the lawn with a standard lawn mower and he realised it wasn't possible. He had to buy a ride on mower. But you could potentially pay for a gardener to mow it with their ride on mower (but not all gardeners will have one either!).

The amount of work really depends on what is there. Is it a flat paddock with minimal plants? Then all you'll need to do is mow and gradually add some plants or areas for the kids to play. If there are lots of established garden areas that becomes a lot of weeding, collecting of leaves (if the trees are deciduous), worrying about fire danger, etc.

You'll also need to pay attention to the driveway. Is it stones or dirt? Either will need maintenance - extra stones/etc to stop pot holes in rainy weather. Concrete might need replacing if it cracks and bitumen may sink or crack with time and often needs repairing too.

The other thing is rates, which are likely to be higher than smaller properties and it might be worth looking into.

Basically if you are comparing a 800sqm property with a 3 acre property the difference in the amount of day to day work is big. But with 3 acres you have the potential to put in a big vegie patch in a good location, lots of room for the kids to play/have a cubby/trampoline/etc, and room for a pool if you want it at some point. It would probably be a lot easier to extend your house or build a granny flat/teenage retreat at a later point too.

So, if you are both working full time, then the 3 acres with kids could be a challenge, but if one of you is often home and happy to do maintenance on the house/garden then I'd go for the 3 acres.

Sorry for the essay!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We rent but are living rurally in a large house with acreage.
    The house itself is on a 1 acre block but the property also includes 9 acres of fenced paddocks.
    Our LL asked if we minded doing adjistment so fortunately the horses take care of the paddocks otherwise we would slash, especially in snake season.
    DF mows the house block which takes a good 2 hours mowing, whipper snipping etc.
    Not much work really and a small price to pay for where we live.
    Heaps of room for the kids to play and no neighbours

Thanks
    Reviews
    Had not thought of the driveway, we haven't seen the property yet but will be going this weekend. Ill ask about the rates too... good point!
    There's a pool already but we would definitely want to add a granny flat or house for my parents who would be visiting from overseas for extended periods.
    We like to grow our own vegetables and yes possibly keeping chooks would be great but nothing like cattle or anything... maybe another dog...
    Im SAHM and DH would work from home half the time so I hopefully wont be lonely... I just have this picture of a big swing set outside with my kids playing and DH and I having breakfast outdoors with freshly squeezed oj and bacon and fresh eggs... hahaha I already live there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with what the others have said - it really depends on how much land you'll have, whether there's gardens or lawn to maintain, and if you enjoy doing things outdoors.

We have 1 acre and in between mowing the lawns (which is at least weekly in Spring and Autumn), keeping the gardens maintained and keeping the gutters free from leaves from all the trees surrounding our land and we're kept pretty busy.

But having said that, the sense of space and freedom we have is incredible and is well worth the extra work!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We have 6acres. But only 3acres are used at the moment.

We mow once a week/fortnight depending on the grass length. We have a ride on for the house yard which is 1acre around trees and then dp uses the slasher for the other 2acres of flat paddock.
    To pay someone costs $80 for the house paddock so theoretically $240 for the whole lot. It takes about 4hrs to do the whole lot by ride on mower. Dp also uses the push mower for certain parts that the ride on won't fit.

He has to poison the fence line at least every 2-3mths.

It cost $10, 000 to fully fence the three acres.

Our driveway is just large crushed rock. It is about 100m long and doesn't need maintenance other than dp running the slasher over it with the blades really high. To get any long grass down.

We have gates and they are really annoying especially in the rain. A Gate opener costs about $800.

We have no gardens only trees that need trimming every now and then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We're on 200 acres but some of the principles are the same. Mowing will be the big job. If you don't have stock fences may not be an issue unless the neighbours also have stock in which case you'll have to contribute half the cost to keeping the fence up to scratch. The other issue we have is the danger of dams. Our yard isn't kid proof so we have to supervise the kids fairly heavily when they are outside.
    All this aside I love living rurally and the fact that the kids can run around and makes heaps of noise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with PP, definitely worth being on acreage with kids. They can have loads of room to run around and can be as noisy as they want without bothering others. Also not having neighbours right on top of you is good. We are on 22,000 acres so a little different but our house yard is maintained with a ride on and yards/gardens watered with an irrigation set up which is handy, with three young kids I just have to quickly run out and change a hose over or move the sprinkler. The previous owners obviously were into gardening more than us so we are in the process of taking out some of the gardens and putting it down to grass. Yes it is definitely more work than the average house block, but weighing up the fact of quietness and space for the children make it even more worthwhile :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's really interesting to read about how large some properties are! 200 acres... 22000 acres that's massive!
    The property we're looking at is already fenced and has an electric gate, from the pics it doesnt have a driveway... just grass. The current owners obviously spent some thought and money into it, there would be nothing to do at all but move in, it's just a mater or figuring out if we want that much space and if we'd be up to it... being suburban people so far...
    I just wonder if you'd know what was going on on your land on 3 acres, and if we'd get animals roaming...