+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Unsure about dressing baby for bed??

My baby is four weeks old today. I'm still unsure as to whether she's too warm or too cold when i put her to bed. The temperature on my baby monitor says the room is 25c and i wrap her in a cotton wrap and just have a flannelette sheet over her and tucked in. She seems comfortable but i've read that 25c is too hot for babies room. At night time it will go down to 22c around about so i double the flannelette sheet up and put another blanket on top. Do you think i'm making her too hot?? I wrap both of her arms in too and i'm not sure when i can stop doing this and maybe move her to a sleeping bag??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure if this helps, but I usually followed my instincts with this. For example on occasion in summer my eldest DD would wake crying and seem flushed and hot to touch. After stripping her off and cooling her down, she settled down. It was clear she was overdressed or I needed to turn the air con on.

If your bub seems happy and not hot or cold to touch I imagine its it not a problem.
    I know people swear by Grobag sleeping bags which have different Togs according to temp. I never used them myself but I know ppl who loved them.

My newborn DS loved to be wrapped so I used a sleeping bag with a muslin wrap over the top (leaving his arms in the wrap)
    I use a fleecy long sleeve bag at night and a cotton sleeveless one during the day.
    And also a cotton sheet across him tucked into cot ...as well as a thin woolen blanket for really cold nights.

Hope this helps xxxx

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I remember calling my mother in tears, begging for advice on what to dress my boys in for bed! It can be really hard!

I like to feel down the top of their back (under their neck) and see how warm/hot they are to touch- that area usually gives a good indication of their body temp. If she's not too hot to touch then I'd say you're doing ok- if she is quite warm, leave off a layer and see how you do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I do check the back of her neck and she seems fine, not hot or cold. The only time she seems hot is sometimes when she has been in her pram on the sheepskin cover we have, so I've taken the sheepskin cover out as I think that was making her hot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it depends on the baby - which is no help to you sorry!

My boys were/are both 'hot' boys, so 25 degrees would be way too hot for them if covered in blankets too. My heater is set to 19 overnight. I agree with the 'back of neck' test, or even the chest too.

Regarding sleeping bags - I love them! But I'd say it's best (IMO) to not transition until the startle reflex is gone, or at least reduced. Otherwise they will wake themselves up too much. My boy is 4mths and in a Love to Dream swaddle still, although will go to a sleeping bag soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would keep arms in for a few more months at least. We changed from blanket swaddling to Love to Dream swaddle at about 5 or 6 weeks once he started fussing in the blanket wrap. Also easier for nappy changes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I will share the tips I was given which seem to work for me

- Check the back of the neck... Never go by hands or feet cause they are always colder.

- General rule is one more layer than what you are wearing. I usually dress my son similar to how I'm feeling. Lately it's been so hot.. I have just been sleeping in a singlet & undies. So I've just had my son in a summer body suit & singlet.

- If you fold a blanket in half it counts as two layers. If you fold it into quarters, it's four layers.. Etc etc. (probably common sense to most, but not something I had really thought about before)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I go by the rule to dress them in one more layer than what I'm wearing. I know all the books recommend baby's room temperature between 16-20 but I find that too cold so my perfect temperature for the kids rooms is 23-24 all year round. My dh finds it too warm but the kids and I all sleep great at that temperature.