+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks everyone!

Does anyone have any recs for defensive driving courses in the Brisbane area? There seem to be so many around & I don't know which to choose.

Do I always have to do it in my own car? All the ones I've looked at so far you do. I don't mind that, it's just that DH will have to come to drive me there so I have no idea what he is meant to do for the entire day if he can't do the course too, as he'll be stuck at the venue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Ok thanks, obviously I got told the wrong things about defensive driving courses - I got told that you get taught how to get out of skids etc, which I know would really freak me out. I might be able to do the other stuff wannawannabe said.

MissMuppet, I do see a psych about it but it's still not really helping that much.

I've tried professional driving lessons with many different companies but every time I get 'oh, you already have your licence. Why are you even here??' when I first get into the car. Then I either get told 'there's nothing wrong with your driving, I don't see why you are here' during the lesson, or 'wow, you are cautious aren't you!' and no tips to overcome the cautiousness.
    The most beneficial part of the DD course is what they call the "commentary drive" where you drive with an experienced instructor for about 30 minutes and you pretty much talk out loud the entire time, explaining every hazard, person, item etc you see. It really makes you aware of your surroundings and teaches you good "escape" plans. For example, always sit a decent way back when at a stop so you have enough room to pull out to the side if you see a car who is about to run up the back of you.

In my class we did do the skid track, but some DD classes have cut this out now I believe? However, if they do offer it, I highly recomend doing it. I was such a nervous driver before I did my class, to the point I would make myself sick. I did the skid track and after learning how to correct the car when in a dangerous situation has given me so much more confidence! It makes driving in the wet, on gravel etc a lot easier.

Good luck xx

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (09-07-2013),MissMuppet  (10-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Thanks everyone!

Does anyone have any recs for defensive driving courses in the Brisbane area? There seem to be so many around & I don't know which to choose.

Do I always have to do it in my own car? All the ones I've looked at so far you do. I don't mind that, it's just that DH will have to come to drive me there so I have no idea what he is meant to do for the entire day if he can't do the course too, as he'll be stuck at the venue.
    I haven't read all the replies but I've always thought that doing the defensive driving course made me a confident driver.

It was many many years ago (and probably much cheaper then), but my parents paid for me to do this course, it's very expensive but it we got to drive fancy bmws all day. I use techniques I learnt then most times I drive, and I will definitely look into something similar (cheaper) when my kids get their licences!!

http://www.brisbanebmw.com.au/com/en...ience/courses/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does anyone know of a defensive driving course where there is an instructor in the car for the practical part? Not having any luck finding any courses that do that.