+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I havent got any negative feedback about DS's name. But his name is Benjamin, I dont think there's much you can say negitively about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DS has the same first name as DH.

This blows some people's minds, and a lot of people can't get their head around two people in the same household having the same name. It's really not a big deal!

My dad actually kind of rolled his eyes when we told him, which hurt us both, especially DH. I have a great relationship with my dad and DH found it hard to be around my parents for a while there. I ended up telling my dad how we felt and he apologised - he had the impression DH may have railroaded me into choosing the name. Not the case.

My mum tried to call our little guy J.R for a while, his first and middle initial. It sounded a bit stupid so we insisted he be called his first name. Hasn't been a problem since.

I suppose a lot of people don't 'get' why we wouldn't give DS his own individual name. DS is not really named after DH - it's more a case of we had no other name we both equally liked. DH first really thought of using the name when he went to pick up some Thai take-away and the lady said his name so beautifully, he thought it would be great to name our son that!

May I also add that DS was born at 31 weeks, so we kind of lost a lot of extra thinking time to come up with another name.

I have no regrets, DS suits his name to a tee

Thanks
    Reviews
    We stopped telling people as soon as we realised you can't please other people with your names!! It's a personal decision & once bub is born they won't be able to say anything. One of my most hurtful responses was from my sweetest friend who let out a massive 'NOOOOO, you can't do that'. I realised that if she had such strong opinions, others would be way worse & that's when we stopped!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JungleMum For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (09-07-2013)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I was still pregnant with DS1, a friend's girlfriend said "Well, you have to be careful with names. You can't use a name like xxxx, that's a dog's name". Yep, that was what we'd picked and had fallen in love with several months beforehand.

Her boyfriend (our friend) looked at me horrified. I just laughed and didn't say anything. It was a shortening of his full name anyway but we use the short version day to day. Point is, someone will always dislike a name or have a reason not to use it so I didn't really care.
    DS2 has a not too unusual first name but a very unusual name for his second name (same as my dad's name) and we were going to use that for his first name but far too many people whinged that it was weird. It's German and very common over there so not that strange but *shrug*.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (09-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been calling my unborn potential daughter the same name for a few years now and my mum calls her that too. Luckily, my DF loves the name too and so, if our belly bub is a girl, that's her name. We told our 7yo (my step ds) what we want to name the baby and he hates it so much he cries when he hears it.
    It's Jonquil Evangeline. And if I don't care if my sensitive SDS doesn't like it then I certainly am not going to be fussed by strangers, acquaintances, friends, family or Internet haters I say choose the name you love, no matter how weird others find it

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marepoppin For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (09-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We didn't tell anyone names until our children were born. With DD we got so many 'Oh thats lovely/such a pretty name/I love her name'comments that this time around when we got a polite no comment on DS name from friends and family it was very obvious they didn't like it much. My mum told me she didn't know what to think of it at first but is getting used to it. DS name is Wesley. ( we mainly call him Wes).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jez For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (09-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We didn't tell anyone our names while pg. We are both teachers so choosing names was a nightmare and I certainly didn't want anyone else's opinion thrown in. Our kids have unusual (but known) names and we've had lots of positive comments over the years. I couldn't care less if there are people who don't like them!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (09-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We chose his name when Ds was a few days old and we didn't discuss it with anyone..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (09-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    London- negative comments on Elizabeth? Really? That's a classic name!

MellyBelly13- I would absolutely lose it.. I don't think I'd be able to keep my cool after a while. It really upsets me when parents/in laws do things like that. They had their babies, named them whatever they wanted and raised them how they chose. It's none of their business what their children do with their babies.
    How frustrating!

TwinnieMumma - my mouth dropped when I read that. What a disgusting thing to say. What a knob!

Peanutskittles - Saiyuri is a beautiful name. Auron is a very cool name as well. I love them both.

Spunkles.... Ouch! That comment would have hurt.

BornToBe- I like your attitude!

Eko - when I was pregnant with DS, I told my cousins girlfriend at the time our baby names and she rolled her eyes and said "why can't people just choose common names anymore?" I just looked at her and laughed.

Marepoppin- how do you pronounce that?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

peanutskittles  (09-07-2013),spunkles  (09-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pronounced John-kwol or zhon-kwol. It's a flower like a daffodil

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Marepoppin For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (09-07-2013)