+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Negative comments on baby names

Reading over some of my other threads and PM's I've received got me wondering...
    What kind of negative comments did you get about your child's name? If you've ever had any negative comments.. What kind of comments did you get?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We kept ours secret so no comments. A few screwed up faces to early suggestions, but nothing serious.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (09-07-2013)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I got negative comments about Elizabeth being an "old stupid name" ...to be fair the person who said it was only guessing the name because we didnt tell anyone what we chose. We told him it was an old fashioned name and he said "as long as its not Elizabeth..such an old stupid name". Ah well Lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (09-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had mainly positive from everyone but the one that hurts is from my mum, she would just call my belly (due Saturday) all these names that she likes and hasn't once acknowledged the name that we like and have chosen, I have said other people like it and her response was that they wouldn't say they didn't like it because that would be rude

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mellybelly13 For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (09-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    His grandad still can't say his name and his about to turn 14. At the beginning I often got that is a bit weird, now his name isn't that uncommon. (think unusual biblical name)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (09-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I nearly didn't name my son what I did because of people bad mouthing it on an Internet forum (not BH). I was hurt but I snapped out of it and named him it anyway. IRL have had nothing but nice comments, to my face anyhow

For the record it's a fairly common modern name however a slight change in spelling (not to be unique and it's not a ridiculous spelling, we just preferred it spelt the way we did).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Colbie For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (09-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    We chose a unisex name for one if our twins. He's actually named after the guitarist of my favourite band. But the name is known more commonly as being a girls name in glee.
    My old boss told me that if we named him that, he would get picked on for having a girls name and he would turn out gay - who says that?!?!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sabochan For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (09-07-2013)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was still trying to find a name I got all sorts of comments. (I ran ideas past people like my dad and a couple select friends) I got a lot of comments about a lot of names, even names I didn't think people would have a problem with such as Laura.
    I haven't had anyone turn their nose up or make any bad comments about the name I've chosen now, but all my other names got horrible reactions besides Piper.

Sent from my talky stick

15. The Following User Says Thank You to αληθη For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (09-07-2013)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I got negative comments about Elizabeth being an "old stupid name" ...to be fair the person who said it was only guessing the name because we didnt tell anyone what we chose. We told him it was an old fashioned name and he said "as long as its not Elizabeth..such an old stupid name". Ah well Lol
    You should have heard some of the comments I got when I was tossing up the idea of naming my bub Elizabeth with the nickname Betty! Hahah

Sent from my talky stick

Thanks
    Reviews
    We named our DD Isla (my Great Grandmothers name)
    I think my family were just glad I didn't go with my other girl name (Twig) or my fav boy name (Hawk)
    Maybe just come up with some really out there names, and then your chosen name will sound conservative in comparison :-)

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zabella For This Useful Post:

gizmoduckus  (09-07-2013),αληθη  (08-07-2013),SugarSkull  (09-07-2013)