+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Help with weaning - baby hates formula (S26 gold)

I'm trying to wean my 4 month old daughter from breast to formula but I'm really struggling. First day, I tried to give her a bottle of S26 and she wouldn't swallow it and scrunched her face up. Second day, I tried 2/3 BM and 1/3 formula and it took her forever to get through a tiny amount. Third day, hubby tried 2/3 BM and 1/3 formula and she would spit the bottle out, look me in the eye and scream :-( she had 30mL in 90 minutes. Fourth day (today) I tried 5/6 BM and 1/6 formula and she got through 20mL in an hour.

We're offering it to her when she's hungry, not tired, clean nappy, no distractions. Shes happy to take full EBM in a bottle. I really am not ready myself to wean her but have to go back to work soon and have also had trouble with her being fussy at the breast, so her refusal of formula makes weaning even more heartbreaking for me. Any tips on how you weaned would be greatly appreciated as I don't know what else I can do :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe try different teats, my daughter much prefered pigeon peristaltic ones

We had a lot of trouble weaning her. I ended up breastfeeding til 17 months. Turns out she had quite a bad dairy allergy.

Maybe you could try a formula like nan ha as they can be easier to digest. Or goat/soy

Big boy '08
    Little girl '11
    Babyface due Feb '14

Thanks
    Reviews
    People I know had more success when offering without mum present, and wrapped in a top that she had worn.

Big boy '08
    Little girl '11
    Babyface due Feb '14

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My first two had Nan HA, DS wasn't fussy but it was the only one DD1 would drink and to begin with it had to be the TT closer to nature bottles. DD2 was a whole different story again, I tried unsuccessfully to get her to take many different brands but she would not have a bar of any of them, someone suggested lactogen as apparently it tasted most like breastmilk, sure enough that in TT bottles and she drank it with no problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just recently started to wean my 6mth old onto formula. im not using the same formula to you but we had to try different bottles and teats. It was the flow that was the main issue. It was too slow for him, so he'd loose interest in the bottle pretty quick and act as if he was full...after only 80 odd mls and it would take him 40mins to drink that bit.

Breastmilk is thinner consistency than formula, so that may be why she's drinking straight bm ok from a bottle. Try a bigger flow, the next one up or make an extra hole in the teat you are using with a steralized thumb tac/pin and see how she goes. She may cough and splutter for a few mins, dont worry, she should get the hang of it quick enough.
    DS is taking about 100mls from 200mls ATM within 10-20mins, i make sure he is well winded then i offer it again within 30mins. No re-heating at room temp and he will finish it off.
    Their tummies have to stretch a bit to allow the bulkiness of formula. It will take a little whilw for her to finish a full bottle. I wouldnt force her to finish a bottle this early into it.

I know you didnt ask for this info but make sure you are looking after your breasts as well to avoid mastitis. I am replacing every 2nd feed with formula ATM but once i get more comfortable i plan to do straight formula and just express for comfort. I am keeping my BM and freezing it to mix in with his cereal and solids. So he will still be getting SOME BM for quite a while.

Also, mixing BM with formula is fine to do, but it might just taste a bit weird to her.
    Last edited by the very last country song; 08-07-2013 at 20:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the responses :-) I hadn't considered the teat size, and with the mixed BM and formula she doesn't actually seem to hate it so much, it's more that she seems disinterested so I've just put my #2 teats on my bottles and also bought a different formula (Heinz nurture as it has great reviews) so will see how she goes tomorrow.

Thanks also for the post about my breasts, my plan was to take it very slowly and wean over 6 weeks (just day feeds, I'm still hoping to bf at night if my supply allows for it) but bub is making sure it takes even longer than that anyway ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd always use Bellamy's. it's the tastiest! S26 tastes foul.

Not tried Heinz though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update, she's doing so well on the Heinz formula, I was mixing 50/50 formula and BM and today decided to try her on straight formula and she loved it :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's fantastic JR, I've fed my 3 babies on heinz after weaning them and they've all loved it, never had a problem, and much cheaper!