+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Paid Parental Leave

Ok, I am putting the thread here to gather more responses. I have applied for parental leave and I have been successful. The leave is due to start on my due date. I am going on leave when I am 35 weeks along. I am sure I have read somewhere that leave entitlements are for UP to 18 weeks and that applies if you go on leave at 34 weeks. Which means I would only be eligible for 17 weeks leave. Is this correct? And my leave starts when the baby is born? Sorry this is getting confusing.

I have tried contacting Centrelink, and have currently requested a call back service due to high demand.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No, you still get 18 weeks, you just cant start it before 34 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really? That's great news. I was just getting a tad bit confused reading it on the family assist site.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvana View Post
    Really? That's great news. I was just getting a tad bit confused reading it on the family assist site.

Thanks
    no worries

Thanks
    Reviews
    also keep in mind that centrelink doesn't pay any money till the baby is born. After the birth they will back pay you for the time you have already been on leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You just need to work for 10 of the 13 months before the bub is born, so you can stop at 30 weeks and still be eligible for the full 18 weeks. But, you need forms completed in hospital to verify the birth, then you need to submit them (either in person or by mail) and then you wait for your first payment. You get it backdated, but it won't be backdated for before you deliver if that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also FYI you can't work in those 18 weeks otherwise they will stop your payment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do they pay everyone the same amount? Or is it based on what you were earning?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's the minimum wage for everyone. And you can start it after any paid mat leave from your work if you like

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by squishie View Post
    It's the minimum wage for everyone. And you can start it after any paid mat leave from your work if you like
    Oh wow, that's rather fantastic!