+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked
    27
    Reviews
    0

    Default Babys blood type

    Am I wrong in assuming that your baby will have either the mothers or fathers blood type. So if a mother was b- and the father a+ the baby would have either of those??

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  2. #2
    rainbow road's Avatar
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    in a glass case of emotion
    Posts
    12,406
    Thanks
    1,187
    Thanked
    8,045
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not necessarily, because blood types A and B are actually AO and BO so it's possible that with that combination bub could also be O blood type. I'm not sure how the Rhesus factor is inherited but my understanding is that bub would have a 25% chance of being type A, 25% chance of being type B and 50% chance of being type O.

    So possibilities are A+/-, B+/- and O+/-

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

    Shadaisy  (08-07-2013)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,433
    Thanks
    1,238
    Thanked
    1,710
    Reviews
    9
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not sure on this especially with + and - but couldn't the baby also be AB?

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

    Bubbles10  (08-07-2013)

  6. #4
    rainbow road's Avatar
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    in a glass case of emotion
    Posts
    12,406
    Thanks
    1,187
    Thanked
    8,045
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    ETA if you're AA, or BB, then the only option is AB+/-. So really it could be anything!

  7. #5
    rainbow road's Avatar
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    in a glass case of emotion
    Posts
    12,406
    Thanks
    1,187
    Thanked
    8,045
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,185
    Thanks
    481
    Thanked
    1,049
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    It's been awhile since high school genetics, but I don't think your assumption is necessarily correct.

    In your particular example the child could end up being A, B, AB or O and could be either + or -.

    I think the only absolute certainty is that O+ and O+ gives an O+, all other combinations can end up with different types.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

    Shadaisy  (08-07-2013)

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,433
    Thanks
    1,238
    Thanked
    1,710
    Reviews
    9
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for the link RR! I didn't realize that 2 + blood types could still make a - blood type child!

  11. #8
    rainbow road's Avatar
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    in a glass case of emotion
    Posts
    12,406
    Thanks
    1,187
    Thanked
    8,045
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Nor did I!!! How bizarre. I wonder what the chance is of it though?

  12. #9
    MilkingMaid's Avatar
    MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    9,661
    Thanks
    3,787
    Thanked
    2,144
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Interesting question, never thought about it before, and I have no clue what any of my kids blood types are.

    I had to google it to find out.

    http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask452





    My mother had AB blood, I have AB Blood, and my daughter has AB blood. Her half brother by her mother has O. How is this possible?







    -A curious adult from New York

    February 7, 2012

    This is a perfect question for a geneticist. To figure out how this is possible (which it is by the way), we need to step back and do a bit of review on how genes work. Here are the basics of what we need to know:

    1.We have two copies of each of our genes, one from mom one from dad
    2.These genes can come in different versions
    3.Sometimes one version dominates another
    So your AB blood type is actually two different versions of the blood type gene. You have an A version and a B version, one from your mom and one from your dad.
    As you pointed out in your question, there's another version of the gene called O. This version is interesting because you can actually think of it like a zero or nothing. (Click here to learn why O is like a zero.)

    An A and an O gives an A blood type and a B and an O gives a B blood type. In this case, that's what it means that some versions dominate others. The A and B versions override the O, but not each other.

    Here are all six of the possible combinations of these three gene versions and their corresponding blood type:

    AA or AO – A blood type
    BB or BO – B blood type
    AB – AB blood type
    OO – O blood type

    Now we are almost ready to show how your result came about. The last thing we need to know is that parents pass only one copy of their gene to their child.

    So an AO parent (who is A blood type) will pass either an A or an O gene to their child. And an AB parent will only pass an A or a B.

    This is all the information we need to explain how your daughter is AB and her half brother is O

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

    Shadaisy  (08-07-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-03-2013, 18:27
  2. Babys due in late march early april
    By 2bemummy in forum Young Parents
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2012, 23:34
  3. What type of delivery did u have??
    By Kaileysmum in forum Birth & Labour Questions
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 09-08-2012, 17:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pyjamas.com.au
With so many gorgeous brands and styles for every season, our pyjamas, nighties, robes, sleepsuits and sleeping bags are lovely for lights out and perfect for lazy days. Get 10% off first order using code bubhub. Be quick offer ends 31/12/16.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Hills Swimming Kenthurst
Located in the beautiful suburb of Kenthurst and boasts a heated 25m pool. We conduct world-leading Baby and Parent Classes, Preschool Classes, School Age and Squad Training. Our classes are small, our service personal and our quality of the highest.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!