+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breastfeeding classes - worthwhile second time round?

No am not pregnant again yet...start TTC#2 at end of the month....failing to think of anything other than pregnancy though 😉

Towards the end of my first pregnancy I attended the prenatal classes my hospital offered which included a BF one.

I found it really helpful as i has no real knowledge about bf prior.
    However, I am wondering if I should bother next time around?

I had a very smooth BF journey with DS who is now 20 months.

I mean we had some challenges but nothing major...
    - late milk (not too late 5days post birth)
    - lots of expressing between feeds
    - nipple grazing/bleeding
    - manic feeder
    - fast flow causing DS to swallow air and become gassy and extremely distressed during and after feeds.
    - later on a biting stage

All these were relatively short lived issues and for the most part BF was easy....

I definitely plan to rejoin the ABA as I found the local support group amazing post birth. I am aware they also run pregnancy BF classes and am wondering if I'd get value or if they are really aimed at first time BF's.

Anyone here been to one recently and or gone to one even though they'd successfully bf before?

Thanks
    Reviews
    H giggle berry.
    My first DD was a breeze with feeding and I had zero issues so I didn't bother with any classes or anything second time round.
    My second bub came and he was a disaster feeding! I had terrible cracks the size of the grand canyon....and mastitis twice and had to go to a lactation consultant 3 times to overcome alllll the issues. 5 months on and we are still feeding ( now loving it) but it took about 4 months to feel comfy feeding him.

I think if I did a refresher course or something it would have helped me endlessly. I assumed my second bf journey would be just as smooth as my first. I was so wrong! Good luck with whatever choice you make xxxx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Milly Molly Mandy For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (08-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Good points. Yes I was wondering whether a refresher is worthwhile as it will have been a while since I've fed a NB....and just in case the 2nd one is more challenging.

Will definitely be making a list of LC's just in case so I can easily arrange for one to come if needed 👍

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an awlful start to BF with my first it was the worst experience for the first 8 weeks, then it all clicked and after 14 months I hung them up to dry, however number 2 came along within a short time and it was all a breeze as you are aware of all the little things like what position is most comfortable to feed, where you want to sit, etc etc I have been feeding for 7 months and haven't had a thought about it and only had cracked nipples for two days at the start than having it for two months with the first.
    These tuff ole things will keep on going haha
    However it also depends on bub and how they adjust, mine latched on like piranhas but I know may take a lot of guidance aswell.
    Once in hospital and you have has your bub you will know if you need a little help in the right direction