+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post

I just find it a bit strange that when inviting children you dont cater for them, I'm not talking about party pies but if you're going to have a BBQ then is it that hard to throw a few snags on?
    To my way of thinking there is not much difference between a party pie and a sausage anyway lol!

I have a fussy eater with food aversions so I always take food for her but my other kids would love that food and we eat similiar food at home - I am a very keen home cook and love to entertain!

Eta - and does that describe your SIL? Not so much "very competitive" but a keen home cook who just loves to cook good food?

And eta again - if we have families with children coming and I don't know their tastes very well, I do make sure there are plenty of things like little dinner rolls, tasting type plates with little bits and pieces etc so that at least there might be something they can try, but I don't do nuggets, or sausages etc just because there are kids coming. I don't eat processed nuggets or processed sausages and the like and I certainly don't expect children to either iykwim?
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 07-07-2013 at 19:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No it shouldn't be that difficult to put a few snags on the BBQ for the kids but some don't think especially if they don't have kids themselves.

I always keep a supply of food, baked beans and snacks in the baby bag just in case. But usually when invited to people's places by our few friends who don't have kids they always ring and ask us what the kids will eat but most of our friends have kids of their own so we expect to be pretty right.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I really dislike the idea of kid's meals- kids meal is codeword for bland and probably unhealthy. I can't think of many times we've had children over for a sit down meal, but I would serve what I serve to my own family. Unless I knew the kid was fussy, but I find most kids really aren't as fussy as you'd think. And if they are fussy I'd probably do a blander version of what we're having. I'm another who doesn't think the food mentioned in the OP sounds particularly unusual. It's not like they served up pig's snout topped with a wheatgrass and hazlenut foam, on a bed of chillied kelp.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-07-2013),oozzle  (08-07-2013),SassyMummy  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I always make something fancy but also make something my children will eat like pan fried chicken breast crispy roast potatoes with vegetable mash or something along those lines. So I do make two separate meals but I enjoy cooking and it doesn't take me much longer than one dish and everyone is happy....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't like the idea of making separate meals.
    To me, it's the responsibility of the parent. As someone else mentioned, you can't expect your host to know what your kids will or won't eat and to cater for that.
    If you know your kids are fussy eaters, or that they may not eat what's on offer, then it might be worth checking with the hosts before you go so that something can be arranged or you know to bring food for the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think that under normal circumstances (ie. no allergies, intolerances etc) you shouldn't expect that people are going to cater specifically to your child, especially when children generally eat the same meal as parents at home.

If you have a fussy child, prepare something yourself and take it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (08-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I will generally ask our guests what their kids eat and try to work with that because I guess my job as a host is to make them comfortable in my home rather than expand their food horizons, but DD will pretty much eat everything and anything because we've always just served her what we were having. She would love the meal you described except for the oysters! Most people are surprised by how much she will actually eat!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    I've really only had "fancy" meals at my parent's and it would depend on how many kids were going to be there as to what was served to them. Most of the time they were served up whatever the adults were eating but occasionally they were served up something else earlier.

Although ds has gone through fussy stages he's never been so bad that he wouldn't eat anything on a plate that was served up to him.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I am another hater of the whole 'kids food' thing. We eat family meals and even when we eat in restaurants it would be pretty rare that we order a 'kids meal' for our kids. Usually they get an entrée or main and split it. So it simply wouldn't occur to me to cook things like chicken nuggets and chips for kids, particularly if it was totally different to what I was cooking for dinner. I s'pose I might think of it if I was serving fish and chips, maybe...
    It's so expensive eating out with kids- can't wait till DD is old enough to share a meal with DS, at the moment we usually give DS some of each of our meals and end up a little hungry

I love that Gary Mehigan does half plates at half price at his restaurant as the kid's meals. Although he's relented and added a few 'pasta napoli' type options too- there's obviously a big demand for bland boring kid's meals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    On the odd occasion that we've had friends over for dinner, I have always asked what their kids eat or if they'll eat what I'm cooking. If they don't like what I've suggested than I change to something that everyone will eat. I don't do separate meals for the kids though.
    When the kids were younger I used to take some cut up fruit for them in case they didn't like what was on offer. Now that they are older (4 and 2) they either eat what's being served or they go hungry.