+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Spin off- kids food at other people's houses

Following on from my thread re waking kids for outings, just wondering what gets served for kids when you go to eat at other people's lunches.

So my very competitive SIL invited us over for dinner a few weeks ago and made a very fancy dinner... Oysters followed by angus steak with marinated artichoke in pearl couscous.
    I'll happily admit it was delicious, but not something that kids under 3 (esp mine who are ultra fussy) would ever eat.

MIL usually tries and fails at fancy recipes too for family lunches and then wonders why the kids won't eat her food.

I just find it a bit strange that when inviting children you dont cater for them, I'm not talking about party pies but if you're going to have a BBQ then is it that hard to throw a few snags on?

Am I expecting too much?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well, I guess it depends on the kids. My DD would happily tuck into most of that - she just eats whatever we eat/whatever we serve.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaNurture For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When we have people over kids are always welcome to have what we are having - or part thereof. Otherwise I'm happy to make them something else. We generally have something they will like.

If we go to someone else's house and they have children, DD is generally far more interested in playing than any sort of food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think my girls would eat anything you've mentioned. I know when I have people over for dinner and having a fancy meal then ill prepare something else for the kids.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I always cater for kids but at my house its my kind of food - we don't do sausages or processed meats or typical kids meals but I always ask what the kids eat and attempt to work around that - my friend who swears her son is fussy at home eats everything at my house! I don't believe giving " kids meals" as I think they deserve real food

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Lambylamb  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nah I'm not into separate food for children.

Understandably they might not always be into more sophisticated flavours/textures but you can usually tweak the meal to suit them ie give them some steak with couscous & veggies on the side (and encourage them to try the artichoke!)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My daughter isn't eating yet but if kids come over I always ask the parents what they eat, I have no problem with getting some chicken nuggets and chips if they're not the kind of kinds who'll eat adult food (I hated most adult food as a kid and hated stuff that my mum or Aunty's hadn't cooked).

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids have all had food allergies/ intolerances, so I pack food for them wherever we go. If we're going for a BBQ I'll make sure we take a salad my kids can eat, and some sausages if they aren't supplying them.
    We had SIL's birthday dinner here last month. I made chicken, sage and prosciutto cannelloni for the adults, and served the kids spag bol earlier so we could bath them and pop them down for a movie and eat our dinner in peace!
    I always try and cater for little ones since I know my kids don't eat what DH and I have for dinner most nights.
    But there is the other train of thought that if they're exposed to "exotic" foods early on, they'll be less fussy later?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    When DD was quite young, I made sure she would be catered to by bringing food along with us in case she wouldn't eat whatever was served.

I've found that not letting kids be a bit adventurous and labeling food as "not kid-friendly" just encourages fussy eating habits though. Why can't a small child eat steak, oysters, artichoke or cous cous?

I actually really hate it when people try to cater to DD like she'll die if she doesn't have deep-fried crap (nuggets and chips, usually) served up to her. She hates it too - when we go out to dinner, I will often order her from the main menu, not the kid's menu, because she prefers better quality foods.

I guess the point of this... different kids will eat different things and prefer different things. You can't expect someone to know what your kids will and will not eat, and you cannot expect that they will always provide your kids with the kinds of foods they would prefer. So the options, IMO, are to either suck it up and tell them to eat it or starve, or bring something from home to offer them instead if they kick up a stink.
    Last edited by SassyMummy; 07-07-2013 at 19:49.

14. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (07-07-2013),Elijahs Mum  (07-07-2013),gizmoduckus  (08-07-2013),HugsBunny  (07-07-2013),αληθη  (08-07-2013),MamaNurture  (07-07-2013),Maybelline  (07-07-2013),Mod-biscotti  (07-07-2013),mushiedaina  (07-07-2013),Renn  (07-07-2013),Tainted  (08-07-2013),~BEXTER~  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it's something prearranged I'll ask the parent what their child will eat and make something separate if need be.
    My SIL makes a really nice sweet chili chicken pasta but always does nuggets for the girls if we have it because it's spicy.
    MIL always makes a special dessert for the girls when we have dinner there too.
    We don't usually eat too fancy because DF only eats "normal plain food" so we don't really have an issue here with the kids.