+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Macks, thank for your post! Yes we were doing Ivf....

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were wanting to adopt in Australia and place an expression of interest as it appeared we were eligible but as we got further down the track it became apparent that our income was too low, we need about $155k income to adopt in reality. So much time and money wasted so far on something that can never be. Adoption in Australia is very difficult and the criteria is very hidden.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi adoptiondream, why do you say you need an income of $155k?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree! We earn well above that however they wanted $50k in the bank account!!! This was disclosed after the 2 day seminar and after they had taken our $4,000!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by adoptiondream View Post
    We were wanting to adopt in Australia and place an expression of interest as it appeared we were eligible but as we got further down the track it became apparent that our income was too low, we need about $155k income to adopt in reality. So much time and money wasted so far on something that can never be. Adoption in Australia is very difficult and the criteria is very hidden.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cost??

Hi,
    We are currently on the adoption journey and am curious about the money you had to pay. Was this for international adoption? We've been through all the training for local adoption and have not paid a cent. We have also been told that there are no costs until you have to pay legal fees to have the papers to say the child is legally adopted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adorelgc View Post
    Hi,
    We are currently on the adoption journey and am curious about the money you had to pay. Was this for international adoption? We've been through all the training for local adoption and have not paid a cent. We have also been told that there are no costs until you have to pay legal fees to have the papers to say the child is legally adopted.
    This is what I've read as well... :-/ please tell me there aren't loads of hidden costs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was referring to international. Not sure about local.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nattie84 For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nattie I'm sorry you were given that impression. DH and I earn well under the amount quoted (he is on minimum wage and I am a public servant) and we had no such issues when we applied. But every state is different and I think every social worker has their own 'ideal' in mind.

Some intercountry programs are expensive (Korea, Taiwan for example) because of the legal and other costs imposed by the sending country. Others, such as our choice - Thailand - impose no costs at the sending end. You only pay the Australian costs imposed (assessment costs, translation of the dossier, child's visa, travel to pick up the child etc).

The main financial burden for us was showing we could fund one parent to be at home for 12 months after the adoption, which is a requirement in our state. We didn't need the $ in savings though, we got a letter from our bank confirming we had made extra mortgage payments and could withdraw that money on demand.

Whichever path you follow, wishing you all the best xxx

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twocam For This Useful Post:

ange1111  (08-10-2016),Macks  (14-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Twocam View Post
    Nattie I'm sorry you were given that impression. DH and I earn well under the amount quoted (he is on minimum wage and I am a public servant) and we had no such issues when we applied. But every state is different and I think every social worker has their own 'ideal' in mind.

Some intercountry programs are expensive (Korea, Taiwan for example) because of the legal and other costs imposed by the sending country. Others, such as our choice - Thailand - impose no costs at the sending end. You only pay the Australian costs imposed (assessment costs, translation of the dossier, child's visa, travel to pick up the child etc).

The main financial burden for us was showing we could fund one parent to be at home for 12 months after the adoption, which is a requirement in our state. We didn't need the $ in savings though, we got a letter from our bank confirming we had made extra mortgage payments and could withdraw that money on demand.

Whichever path you follow, wishing you all the best xxx
    How far along in the process are you if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, we've adopted recently and there were no costs involved at all apart from the legal fees we paid a lawyer to legalise our littley.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Macks For This Useful Post:

ange1111  (08-10-2016)